Which Linus is most popular to take on ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
you need a pratical experiance as well esp networking, and as we all you networking can not be done with a single System, you need a well equipped lab for pratice
what do you say on this?

mediator

Technomancer
BatistaBomb said:
ok thanks for your ideas, is there any need to learn scripts, what is a shell and perl scripting ?
Shell scripting is considered as a huge advantage! RHCE is one of the many things a company seeks in a personal aspiring for an Admin post in a Linux department. It is certainly an advantage. But all that the companies see is the knowledge and that if u have anything that shows u r good in ur skills like a certificate!

It can be awards given to u in colg fests in Linux programming/shell scripting or anything that tells the world that u r good. But most importantly is the fact how good u r "practically"!!

There r many RHCE guyz I know, who don't even know about "yum" or simple ftp installations. Its like doing B.Tech and not knowing how to install windows!! I hope u understand. Its all practical at the end.

if Online update thing is fixed in fedora,I can verywell say Fedora is the best.even Gnome version carried in Fedora is *better* than Ubuntu I feel!
I dunno about 6 and 7, but in 8 i.e werewolf, it has been improved dramatically almost like in Ubuntu. :)

praka123

left this forum longback
@gary:sure,u need another computer.you have to get a lab to work with(In Kochi,I can go to a Institute's Linux Lab) paying the lab fee may be.

pr.itdude

tHe nEw gEEk......ITian
hey....is there institutes in delhi/gurgaon providing these kinds of certification courses...??
Actually, i am thinking of doing some short term courses in linux as a part of my summer training for B.E.....!!! As also, im not so good and just started linuxing so i have to go from scratch. b4 going for a big move in this field.

Do these courses (above mentioned certifications) start from scratch or should one have some basic knowledge of linux/unix before enrolling for them ???

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
You can check HCL education.. there was its outlet at Chandigarh.. so I think that there should be one at Delhi too..

Yeah.. IMO one should have basic knowledge of Linux before joining this field..

pr.itdude

tHe nEw gEEk......ITian
hmm....!!! thnx !! yeah, HCL centres are there in delhi, but they afaik provide more of a coaching for programming languages like c/c++, .net, java etc not any certification courses.............!!!!

pr.itdude

tHe nEw gEEk......ITian
kk.....i'll make a query to them.........!!! Any other instiute or courses........???
There is no info, no awareness about Linux so no highlighted courses..........!!!
India needs a long way to go OPEN........!!! Might be this is my pessimistic statement but i strongly
feels this right now..!!!

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
Getting a certificate will limit your knowledge of Linux. In real administration practical experience is what matters and many things out of the things the course didn't teach you may occur. So the best way to learn Linux is trail and error.

Install VirtualBox (virtualbox.org), install a Linux in it and play with it. Configure each and every aspect of the OS - From kernel to the GUI.

As far as institutes are concerned, Seed Infotech is one of the best.

Try googling for some institutes.

Kareem Bezer

Right off the assembly line
I don't know why the topic author mistook the spelling of linux. anyway i like linux because i like opensource software. I think ubuntu is the most popular linux for its user friendliness. i love ubuntu so much Regards, Kareem from Resorts 360 Vacation Club

Kareem Bezer

Right off the assembly line
I think ubuntu is the most popular linux. I love ubuntu very much for its user friendliness. Regards, Kareem from Resorts 360 Vacation Club

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
any nice step by step tutorial for ^^ .........??

I am a pure Linux user.. So I don't write Windows tutorials anywhere (except if they are related to Linux->Windows.)

But the thing is pretty simple.

Just install VirtualBox. It provides the full manual with the setup itself.

Since you asked for a tutorial to help you become a pro, I seriously recommend you try an easy to use and well documented distro which has an easy upgrade path to a more advanced cousin which is professionally used.

An example is Fedora. It has step-by-step tutorials for EVERYTHING, and at the same time its stable brother is Red Hat Enterprise Linux, the distro you will be most probably using if you use linux in official environments (All webhosts with cPanel usually use RHEL or CentOS (a RHEL clone)).

OR, install ubuntu. Its simple enough to NOT want much linux knowledge and learning it will help you graduate to Debian GNU/Linux, the other server-grade linux distro commonly used in professional environments (for eg, IISc (Indian Institute of Science) has all its computers running Debian Stable).

But I don't recommend some other easy to use distros like SuSE, which tries too hard to hide the internals, or MEPIS or DreamLinux, which is not sufficiently documented or has a large enough user base to help you instantly with all your problems.

Nor do I recommend you start with distros like Slackware, ArchLinux, Linux From Scratch, CRUX or Gentoo which need you to work very hard from a newbie state to even begin using them.

pr.itdude

tHe nEw gEEk......ITian
^^ thnx 4 ur suggestions...........but i must tell u that.......i am already using linux, ubuntu 8.10, which i installed around 2 months ago........and very happy with that and playing with that all the time.....and other guys here helped me a lot........
i posted here in this thread to know more about linux certification courses, as i want to go for it in my summer training period..........

see post #26, i think u carried away with the thread title........!!! but i dont want to open up a new thread for the same kind of queries thats y i continued here.........

btw, see my screenie here :
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1112890&postcount=1506

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom