Which Linus is most popular to take on ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Batistabomb

Deadman Walking
Guys presently iam a windows system administrator, iam planning to take some linux courses to work under linux as a linux admin, so which linux version should i take on an presently which is on more demand

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Tough one, Red Hat has a big share of the market now, so going for a course that will take you to RHEL makes sense. However, there are other good distro neutral certification exams you can study for like CompTIA Linux+™ Certification

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Yes almost, and Novell is trying to increase their share. That was one of the reasons they signed that deal (dumb) with Microsoft.

I tried Ubuntu for sometime but was not too happy with it. I have installed CentOS now (its a RHEL clone), will start working on that in March, am a bit busy this month preparing for TOEFL.

In bangalore, Linux Training Acadamy has some good cources, and completing them will gain you the Red Hat Certified Linux Engineer title(CLE). But they are all red hat stuff. There are good distro neutral options available, but I don't know of any at present. I think its advicable to go for a neutral cource, then learn distro specific things like Red Hat, Debian and Slackware.

Hitboxx

Juke Box Hero
Yes get an official something from Redhat and do some unofficial homework on other types like Debian and Slackware.

You'll always stand out in the crowd when you have a better all round knowledge of things.

praka123

left this forum longback
get LPIC,the course is cheaper(5K+) and is a general course covering networking,package management and most other aspects.It is respected world over and is formed by major Linux companies support.

But in India,LPI coaching is available only in few places;may be blore,hydbad,bombay etc. even,you can do a self study if u can get the LPIC preparation book.
with LPIC,u can get Ubuntu Certified Engineer certificate also by attending another paper :)
*www.lpi.org
you have to write the exams in some prometric/pearsonvue authorised test centres
while RHCE exam costs upwards of Rs18000 last when I enquired. :-|

get LPIC,the course is cheaper(5K+) and is a general course covering networking,package management and most other aspects.It is respected world over and is formed by major Linux companies support.

But in India,LPI coaching is available only in few places;may be blore,hydbad,bombay etc. even,you can do a self study if u can get the LPIC preparation book.
with LPIC,u can get Ubuntu Certified Engineer certificate also by attending another paper :)
*www.lpi.org
you have to write the exams in some prometric/pearsonvue authorised test centres
while RHCE exam costs upwards of Rs18000 last when I enquired. :-|
Can I try the "Linux Training Center", in bangalore ? They are certified by RedHat, so have mostly redhat based sys administration, etc and (guess) ask us to install fedora, which I avoid due to RPM.

Can you tell me some place where I can buy a study book for the LPIC ? I want a real(not e) book that has illustrations, questions, answers, explanations, practice material, etc.

Does Aptech, Bangalore have this cource ?

praka123

left this forum longback
^Linux Training Centre imho can help you,but I dont know how much they charge.Did u checked LPI website for coaching centre's?even online coaching may be available.
leave the thought of RHCE/RHCT as total expense if went "official" way of RH authorized coaching centre+exam fees=Rs28000+ :shock:

While anyways LPIC-I & LPIC-II means ur over by 10-12K.even LPIC-I is enough IMHO :)

Most of the ppl I found in Intl forums prepare for LPIC themselves :-|
LPIC text book is readily available here in Ernakulam(in Mindstorm bookstall).In B'lore this study book is available in most computer book shops OR/and gangaram's in MG Rd.
the book is LPI Linux Certification in a NutShell
*www.amazon.com/LPI-Linux-Certifica...bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1201956236&sr=8-1
^is available in major bookshops.

there are many other books available like:

*www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&tag=mozil...qs&field-keywords=LPI&sourceid=Mozilla-search

But first be prepared to dedicate ur 3 months for troubleshooting and distro swapping between Fedora,Debian,Slackware etc and be thorough with these package managements :)

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
LPI do not have much test centers:|
so right now RHEL is only choice for me:(
damm, i do not like RPM:x
jetking may be a option

ok thanks for your ideas, is there any need to learn scripts, what is a shell and perl scripting ?
Most courses cover shell scripts, as they are helpfull in automation of your boring task.

Last edited:

praka123

left this forum longback
@gary:RHCE afaik does not cover shell scripting :p they simply show a example or 2 and goes on!while LPI is what a real good certification to be !
you can prepare for LPI in ur house,and with help from LPI forum,mailing lists. :) a bit dedication,that's all needed.exams can be taken from major instituted in ur city.

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
@gary:RHCE afaik does not cover shell scripting :p they simply show a example or 2 and goes on!while LPI is what a real good certification to be !
you can prepare for LPI in ur house,and with help from LPI forum,mailing lists. :) a bit dedication,that's all needed.exams can be taken from major instituted in ur city.
i can't see they have any test centers of thier & and also you need a pratical experiance as well esp networking, and as we all you networking can not be done with a single System, you need a well equipped lab for pratice

praka123

left this forum longback
@gary:
Hey Thomson Prometric/Pearsonvue centres are all over India.infact all major Institutes apply for this.
For eg;
prometric centres in India:
*www.register.prometric.com/Centers.asp?Page=1

search here u can find many centreS(6-7 centres in jaipur):
*www.register.prometric.com/Centers.asp?Page=10
*www.register.prometric.com/Centers.asp?Page=11

pearsonvue centres in ur city:
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]GT Computer Hardware Engineering College Ltd [/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Bhagwati Plaza,Sindhu Nagar,
Power House Road,
[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Jaipur [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]+91-141-2306511 [/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]RAM NETWORK SYSTEMS INFOTECH [/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] 91-A Gandhi Path Vaishali Nagar Jaipur. [/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Jaipur [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]+91-141-4003413 [/FONT] [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Sunita Institute of Hardware Technology [/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] 204-205, II Floor, Ganesham Tower
Amrapali Road
[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Vaishali Nagar, Jaipur [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]91-141-510-7250 [/FONT]
[/FONT]
pearsonvue centres:
*vss.vue.com/VSSReports/ActiveIndiaTestingCenters.cfm

and LPI coaching centres are there in dehli and pune :
New Delhi Koenig 45007488
Pune August Solutions Pvt Ltd +91 9922417481
*www.lpi.org/latp_search/

praka123

left this forum longback
^no @unknown.I really likes the stability of RHEL .infact I had my training completed for RHCE 1.5 yrs back and I was a fedora user too.if Online update thing is fixed in fedora,I can verywell say Fedora is the best.even Gnome version carried in Fedora is *better* than Ubuntu I feel!

I felt RHCE is a networking course very much centralized on RedHat Linux.
While LPI covers whole Linux arena and ofcourse is a better certification for that matter as it is not only a networking certification but also a all-rounder one :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom