Which is your favourite distro

Which is the Best?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Firstly, posts made in this section are counted.
Secondly ubuntu's just great. Yeah maybe it's pretty cumbersome for bandwidth starved people. I really hope they do something about it. Or if they have, then I don't know about it.
Well Suse is free but you need to pay if you want support from Novell or updates from specially optimisedand well tested rpm's from separate repository. Otherwise you can install yum or as I did, install smart and that makes you use the repositories of current opensuse. So, actually no point in downloading suse rather then opensuse, if you want something that's free.
And ubuntu with it's solid debian background just rocks. You are just saying that cos you are totally ignorant of what powerful system management tools lie beyond that minimalistic interface. I don't blame you for that, cos I myself had fallen under that impression when I started with it. That's the beauty behind Ubuntu. Nice simple and uncluttered frontend with a powerful backend.

mediator

Technomancer
aryaush said:
I have tried Ubuntu. It sucks! It is such a bare bones operating system. I am told OpenSUSE comes with a LOT of pre-installed software and I am looking forward to using some of them.
Hi @aryaush, but u shudn't judge an OS by its lightness regarding preinstalled softwares. Software can be installed afterwards too! I like FC5 da most, but seriously speaking it has too many softwares bundled and many I have not even used. Given the large amount of disk space I have on Desktop PC that heavyness is irrelevant to me.
Knoppix is damn cool, n has got little to do on installation of addtional packages n configuration. N ubuntu being lightwieght is good for low disk space PC's. People can install whateva they like that is useful for them!
Neways I just replaced Knoppix on mah Lappy with Ubuntu seeing many people do that. One thing is for sure, It has got a good hardware support. Knoppix was not able to cure the touchpad rolling, but in UBuntu it works good! But still I wont give mah judgement about Ubuntu unless I spend some 1 month on it!

aryaush said:
People don't generally want to *waste* replies in forums which do not add to their post count.
Oh no! A lot do waste especially phreaks like me in chit chat where post count becomes static! ;)

mandriva .........my all time fav...(got mandriva 2007 dvd today lfy magazine :))
secondly fedora....not beyond these to distros....

also, personally i dont like ubuntu..

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
tech_your_future said:
Firstly, posts made in this section are counted.
I have no idea why, but I initially thought this topic was in the 'Fight Club' forum. I don't even remember why I thought so. Maybe I linked it to the post just after or before it in the 'New Posts' page.

tech_your_future said:
And ubuntu with it's solid debian background just rocks. You are just saying that cos you are totally ignorant of what powerful system management tools lie beyond that minimalistic interface. I don't blame you for that, cos I myself had fallen under that impression when I started with it. That's the beauty behind Ubuntu. Nice simple and uncluttered frontend with a powerful backend.
What is this 'solid debian background'? How does it differ from OpenSUSE and other Linux distros? What are the pros and cons of OpenSUSE?

And I did not say that Ubuntu sucks in general. I said that it sucks because it is a bare bones operating system, i.e. does not have many bundled applications. Don't get me wrong. I do admit that I know very little about Linux compared to some the Linux gurus on this forum itself, but I would love to expand my knowledge regarding it, now that I have both Windows and Macintosh under my belt and a powerful laptop to do all my experimentation with. :p

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
mediator said:
Oh no! A lot do waste especially phreaks like me in chit chat where post count becomes static! ;)
Well, I assure you there aren't too many 'phreaks' like you in the world of online forums. People, in general, want to see their post count increase when they have submitted a post. And if that doesn't happen, there are many who ignore that particular forum. I, for one, use to be very concerned about my post count in the early days of my starting with forum posting, but I am past that and post for the fun of doing so now. :)

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
aryayush said:
What is this 'solid debian background'? How does it differ from OpenSUSE and other Linux distros? What are the pros and cons of OpenSUSE?
Solid debian background as in it uses the APT, uses archive mirroring techniques same as that of debian, syncs itself to debian's Sid and continues building on top of that. Apart from that, it is community maintained and mostly democratic.

No idea about SuSE though :(

aryayush said:
And I did not say that Ubuntu sucks in general. I said that it sucks because it is a bare bones operating system, i.e. does not have many bundled applications.
It has a fully functional Office suite, PIM suite, browser.
It cannot bundle restricted media codecs due to purely legal reasons and not technical. Several media codecs are patent encumbered and last thing Canonical would want to see is a patent infringement lawsuite.

praka123

left this forum longback
@tech ur future:you should've added debian as an option or @tleast make ubunutu option as debian/ubuntu..nyways Debian Rocks!

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
I just edited the poll so could only enter two entries. Will have to edit the poll again yaar. And if I make in Ubuntu/Debian then it orphanates Knoppix which, again comes from Debian. So, I guess I will keep debian in others only for now.

eddie

El mooooo
GNUrag said:
It cannot bundle restricted media codecs due to purely legal reasons and not technical.
...but can't they include just decoding of some codecs that allow it? AFAIK mp3 decoding is not restricted...this is the reason why distro like Slackware includes it by default. This would really help new users because listening to MP3s is one of the first things any user does on his/her system.

mediator

Technomancer
@aryayush:
NO dood, there aren't many good forums like this one where debates n jokes can be shared. So forget about ur statement of "too many 'phreaks' like you in the world of online forums."
Goto to chit-chat, u'll find more than half of the registered users here njoying there and "phreaking" there. On contrary, I'll call people who like to see their post counts increase as "phreaks" in real sense and I feel pity for such people who like to sit all day on such forums and ORKUT (best example) to see there posts increase. I really dunno what makes them so happy about it n that makes em "netaholic" !!
Some of my friends in Orkut proudly say they have 7000 scraps :shock: . But then whats so great about it?? Did they achieve some noble prize by doing so??

So It really doesn't matter to me how much posts of mine increases. All I care for is pure entertainment and geting knowledge! But "post count increase" is totally irrelevant to me! ;)

Last edited:

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
eddie said:
...but can't they include just decoding of some codecs that allow it? AFAIK mp3 decoding is not restricted...this is the reason why distro like Slackware includes it by default. This would really help new users because listening to MP3s is one of the first things any user does on his/her system.
Does Slackware distribute factory made pressed CDs officially with their logos? For that matter even Debian supports all multimedia codecs since they distribute their ISOs only through online mirrors.

The problem with Redhats and Ubuntus is that they officially distribute factory made pressed cds. If they were to distribute players capable of playing mp3s, they'll have to pay MP3 (yes, mp3 decoding) royalities to Thomson. Have a quick glance at royality charges at *www.mp3licensing.com/royalty/software.html

Some distribution vendours having some amount of $clue distribute from Europe to avoid these hassels (like Knoppix, though they dont provide pressed cds).

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
GNUrag said:
Solid debian background as in it uses the APT, uses archive mirroring techniques same as that of debian, syncs itself to debian's Sid and continues building on top of that. Apart from that, it is community maintained and mostly democratic.
Uh... I understood every word of that! Thanks for such a simple explanation! :p
Could someone translate this into english for me, please?

Just for fun, this is what your explanation would have sounded like in Pirate-speak:
Solid debian background as in it uses th' APT, uses archive mirrorin' techniques same as that o' debian, syncs itself t' debian's Sid 'n continues buildin' on top o' that. Arrrgh! Apart from that, 'tis community maintained 'n mostly democratic. Land ho!
Doesn't make it any more legible, as far as I am concerned! :lol:

DukeNukem

Come get Some
though i am not a linux lover
but SUSE is tryin to make a place in my heart
have tried Ubnutu but i dont like it (it can be due to less softies installed as SUSE comes in 5 CD's and Ubuntu just 1)

DukeNukem said:
though i am not a linux lover
but SUSE is tryin to make a place in my heart
have tried Ubnutu but i dont like it (it can be due to less softies installed as SUSE comes in 5 CD's and Ubuntu just 1)

u should try the ubuntu DVD then..its consist of more thn wht u can think off :D

i installed mandriva 2007 today and cant believe the 3d effects ...
this time too mandriva rocks and its worth to upgrade ....

*img124.imageshack.us/img124/516/neerge9.th.png
*img110.imageshack.us/img110/4218/screenshotdm1.th.png

mediator

Technomancer
Hi Neeraj, why don't u post ur dekstop screenshots here so that I can ponder nicely over it ! Post some 2-3 best desktop shots!

mediator said:
Hi Neeraj, why don't u post ur dekstop screenshots here so that I can ponder nicely over it ! Post some 2-3 best desktop shots!

lol....well i was talking abt 3d effects in mandriva..not abt showing screenshots of desktops...

neway im @windows right now..when i come back to mandriva..will post some of the best !! ;)

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
neerajvohra said:
u should try the ubuntu DVD then..its consist of more thn wht u can think off :D

i installed mandriva 2007 today and cant believe the 3d effects ...
this time too mandriva rocks and its worth to upgrade ....

*img124.imageshack.us/img124/516/neerge9.th.png
*img110.imageshack.us/img110/4218/screenshotdm1.th.png
Uh... I am not very impressed. They should try some anti-aliasing. Have a look at this screenshot if you want to see mind-blowing graphics:

*www.tachypic.com/thumb/2430.jpeg

Click on it or visit this link to see a larger view. It is a 1680x1050 PNG image and the size is 952KB.

But since Mandriva is a community driven product and is free of charge, the graphics are commendable indeed. BTW, those are not '3d effects', they are your normal two dimensional graphics.

Last edited:

mediator

Technomancer
Hi aayush, since Mac doesn't fit in Open Source so u shud post ur desktop screenshots here n let me ponder over it! ;)

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
aryayush said:
Uh... I am not very impressed. They should try some anti-aliasing. Have a look at this screenshot if you want to see mind-blowing graphics:
Why are you are comparing apples to oranges :D :D

demoninside

In the zone
Humm So look like I m the only one voted for CentOS,
I am using it from last one month,
A good OS with easy use capablity, and base as RHEL 4

I think a good combination.

So my vote goes to it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom