Which is the Best?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Manshahia said:
So sud i go for it. But i m also having DVD of Knoppix , DVD of SUse 10.0 and CD of Ubuntu, DVD of CENTOS.
Which is the Best?
I hav to install within a day or two. Plz tell me.
Well I'd suggest Ubuntu cos I am a fan of that. Even Suse is really great. I don't really know of CentOS so won't speak anything about it. Well, IMO knoppix is rather better as a live CD/DVD. It has nothing special to offer once installed on hard disk. Well this is just my personal opinion and it may vary with different users here.
Nope. Just search the forum. You will get a thread on it on the first or the second page of this section. I have installed knoppix too. But, I like ubuntu more and went back to it.

Last edited:

Desi-Tek.com

In the zone
@Manshahia CentOS is specially made to run dedicated server. why u want to use it on pc?
i think u should go for ubuntu but in case u r a I.T student or developer than u should go for suse as it comes with all dev tools and libraries. but with ubuntu u need to download all such stuff from net.

OP
Manshahia

Manshahia

Resident Fanatic
I ran Knoppix LIVE and found it very interesting , being on DVD it has all the softwares that r required. I m thinking of Knoppix.
I had also tried SUSE 10.0 but didnt found much attractive.

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
Manshahia, nah that's not true at all. I have several Knoppix installations working peacefully as desktops since years.

OP
Manshahia

Manshahia

Resident Fanatic
@ TECH_FOR_FUTURE Can u tell me the procedure how to Install Knoppix?
I didnt found any option of install there.

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
Manshahia, in earlier version there was this script to install.

$ su -
# knoppix-installer

that opens up a GUI installer which guides you through partitioning and installation.

OP
Manshahia

Manshahia

Resident Fanatic
where do i hav to write this script?
In that command prompt like thing??(I hav forgotten his name)

mehulved

Just read the reply given here *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39984.
It is quite well explained at both the places, IMO.

mediator

Technomancer
^^ Thats rubbish, who told u that? I've been using Knoppix since 1 yr past without any problems! Its awesome n has got awesome GUI too! Its one of the coolest distro I have eva seen!

OP
Manshahia

Manshahia

Resident Fanatic
To yaar vo log muje behkane ki koshish kar rahe the.

So can u plz tell me how to start the installation of Knoppix?
I m having a DVD of that

mehulved

Manshahia said:
But yaar there they r saying that installing Knoppix wud nt run perfectly
Who said that?
I had it installed on my hard disk for 2-3 months, it was fine.
And you don't believe GNUrag who's a system admin? He's maintained knoppix installed on hard disk, as he said. I'd be ready to believe him unless you find someone who's a long time knoppix user and gives me proper cons of installing it on the hard disk.
Knoppix has a debian background, which makes it a nice and powerful distro. And Ubuntu is also a derivative of Debian GNU/Linux. So really speaking they both have some common origins but their finishing is quite different cos their intended primary purposes are different.

eddie

El mooooo
GNUrag said:
right.. there are two types of people in this world.
those who use Gentoo, and those who dont :)
Yup just the way how there are either crazy people (gentooers) or the sane ones in the world :lol:

mediator

Technomancer
@manshia : Read what has been posted by @Gnurag. Trust him! Trust me! Believe us! Neways those who told u knoppix is bad for hardisks or whateva, ask them how to install knoppix on hardisk! ;)

OP
Manshahia

Manshahia

Resident Fanatic
Thnx guys and Congratulations.
I hav successfully installed Knoppix 5.0.1
Special Thnx to --
1. TEch_for_future
2. Mediator
3. GNUrag
4. Desi-Tek.com
Thnx AGain

red_hat

Broken In
Actually u r work starts now
to install various packages and to configure it so u can use it as in a regular course

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Manshahia said:
Thnx guys and Congratulations.
I hav successfully installed Knoppix 5.0.1
Special Thnx to --
1. TEch_for_future
2. Mediator
3. GNUrag
4. Desi-Tek.com
Thnx AGain
WOW! Seems like the credits of a movie complete with special thanks to guest appearances! :lol:
Just having some fun, mate!

Anyway, people are just discussing Knoppix here. What about the other distros? And SUSE is not free, is it? Shouldn't the poll have an option for OpenSUSE? How is it? I am downloading it presently and it is a 3,566.1MB ISO. I don't want to waste all that if it is not good enough.
I have tried Ubuntu. It sucks! It is such a bare bones operating system. I am told OpenSUSE comes with a LOT of pre-installed software and I am looking forward to using some of them.

BTW, why aren't more people involved in this? Given the popularity Linux and open source enjoys in this forum, this topic should have been bursting with responses. Actually, it should have been in the 'Open Source' forum. People don't generally want to *waste* replies in forums which do not add to their post count.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom