• Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
Manshahia

Manshahia

Resident Fanatic
Hey how is CentOS??
I tried installing it today but all in WAIN.
It struck while creating partitions.
Is it completely updated?
I hav installed Suse 10. Sud i give it a try or not?

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
GNUrag said:
Why are you are comparing apples to oranges :D :D
I wasn't trying to compare the two, I was just trying to show that higher standards have been set in the industry and while the open source community has achieved a lot steadily over the years, they still have to improve a bit more to reach the pro level. :)
Mandriva's official site sucks! They are just pushing their paid operating system and provide very basic information about the free version and download links.

Last edited:
Manshahia said:
Hey how is CentOS??
I tried installing it today but all in WAIN.
It struck while creating partitions.
Is it completely updated?
I hav installed Suse 10. Sud i give it a try or not?

i tried Cent os...and its just the rhel 4 modification package...,but its very easy to configure a wonderful os too..

@manshahia ..follow here

if ur going to install CentOS

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
aryayush said:
I wasn't trying to compare the two, I was just trying to show that higher standards have been set in the industry and while the open source community has achieved a lot steadily over the years, they still have to improve a bit more to reach the pro level. :)
Dont get me started on Apple please. What higher standards in industry were you talking about?
aryayush said:
BTW, isn't there a DVD version of Ubuntu 6.10 which is fully loaded with additional software?
No it doesnt. Ubuntu DVD only contains main section of [K/X/Ed]ubuntu.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Duh, leave it please! I do not wish to start a flame war here. If you are even going to argue with me on the fact the Apple has the BEST UI among all operating systems out there, well, I can't help you, mate.
But please don't make an issue out of it. Apple is crap and Linux and Open Source rocks - is that more to your liking!
(You don't really need to answer that.) :p

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
aryayush said:
But please don't make an issue out of it. Apple is crap and Linux and Open Source rocks - is that more to your liking!
(You don't really need to answer that.) :p
Dont try to put words in my mouth. I did not say anything of that sort.

praka123

left this forum longback
Apple is crap when it comes to the OSS and Linux.those who buy apple is like who buys a New Bike and argue for what is best?-say Bajaj Pulsar Vs TVS Apache.so dont put apple crap here in OSS section.apple is a betrayer who misused BSD License.also that apple crap does not even donate code back to the parent community.
Another crap is on the making-guess who-Our Novell Suse,with partnership with the devil himself(M$),sure Novell is going to die really bad.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Yeah, Apple is bleeding crap. They will burn in hell and all Apple users are stupid suckers! That's the spirit.

Now, can we return to the topic at hand please? Which is your favourite distro?

Yamaraj

The Lord of Death
Debian, Fedora and SUSE - all depending on the mood or requirements. With
each new release, however, Fedora is losing my respect. My dream Linux distro
would be a perfect blend of SUSE and Debian. SUSE is great, but lacks a solid
package management system and extensive repositories. The updater was a
pure mess in 10.1, and users are forced into adding a dozen repos for multimedia
support and other things.

The moment SUSE switches to apt/deb package system, it'll become "the best"
GNU/Linux distribution. There's no doubt about it.

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
Yamaraj said:
The moment SUSE switches to apt/deb package system, it'll become "the best" GNU/Linux distribution. There's no doubt about it.
I wonder if with Novell's recent M$ embrace, it will have same respect in the community.

vinutux

Broken In
i am experiensed linux use in more than 4-5 years:

my conclutions are

1 Redhat ---------good stable but paid:mad:

2.fedora ----not stable as redhat.but free as usable but i rant it was NO:2:

3.Debian ------outdated packages but more stable '''''''also geecky:eek: :
:eek:
4 Slackware ------- not for nnewbies very hard to use but know more about :neutral: linux...

5 .Gentoo ------ also geeky unusabe in my experience:evil:

6 .Mandriva ------ the biggest looser very buggy one but good support for multimedia:evil:

7 .meppis ---------- good multimedia support free and non free packages with latest KUBUNTU NO:3:cool:

8 .freespire -------good mm support but unusable for advanced users only basic linux usablity:D

9 .Xandros --------another mimic 2 windows like linspire Support mm but unusabel for advanced users I DONT LIKE IT:evil:

10 . SUSE --------more packages but not stable buggy very slow in my experience I Dont like this distro tooo Only usfull for fools and business:mad:

11.UBUNTU --------- it was th king NO:1 distro in desktops and servers Best distro man eve made ...:p

Better support more stable very speedy ....cool live or install

Commercial support free shipit........

Thre is more than 10000 reason for UBUNTU is in NO;1:cool:
;)

USE it share it and close the Windows worl

or

KILL the BILL ----- start now UBUNTU.com
.......................................................\\Tanx:D

Yamaraj

The Lord of Death
GNUrag said:
I wonder if with Novell's recent M$ embrace, it will have same respect in the community.
The community is very diverse in nature. There are those who use Linux because
it's better and they like it, and those who like Linux only because they hate
Microsoft. I don't care for the latter.

I see no "evil" in Microsoft-Novell relationship. I'll even go as further as saying
that Microsoft is looking forward to a new base for its range of operating systems.
Last time it happened, when Microsoft left the DOS/Win base for NT, which was
based on VMS. Then, David Cutler of DEC was hired to lead the development
of Windows NT in 1988.

Those who have used Windows SFU (Services for UNIX) for XP and SUA for
2003 and Vista, know that Microsoft has provided POSIX compatibility for quite
some time now. Who knows, maybe they'll build their next 'killer' operating system
on a hybrid UNIX-Singularity base?

Interesting times ahead, indeed!

praka123

left this forum longback
Y forget debian yaar? debian's experimental tree contains almost all new packages and the total packages i can fetch in my debian testing with experimental,unstable apt-pinned is around 20235+
ubuntu uses debian's testing branch.infact most of the distros in yor post are based on debian-dpkg,apt.me also a user 4m 1999

vinutux

Broken In
UBUNTU .................

IT was rockig ................. IT rules
I said beforehand only, NO DISTRO TROLLING ALLOWED.

Last edited by a moderator:
prakash kerala said:
Apple is crap when it comes to the OSS and Linux.those who buy apple is like who buys a New Bike and argue for what is best?-say Bajaj Pulsar Vs TVS Apache.so dont put apple crap here in OSS section.apple is a betrayer who misused BSD License.also that apple crap does not even donate code back to the parent community.
Another crap is on the making-guess who-Our Novell Suse,with partnership with the devil himself(M$),sure Novell is going to die really bad.

wow...u comment exactly wht i was thinking when reading the posts...lol gr8 man !!

eddie

El mooooo
GNUrag said:
Does Slackware distribute factory made pressed CDs officially with their logos?
Yes they do
*store.slackware.com/cgi-bin/store

AFAIK (and read) MP3 patent holders have left "open source decoders" out of the scope of the licensing fees. They have left them alone so that the MP3 format could be made more popular but that is just voluntary on their part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom