Which is the best video codec out there?

The Best Codec According to me is:

• Total voters
G

gxsaurav

better then AIMone vide oconvertor is xilisoft video convertor, it can convert to & from maore formats then AIMOne even can convert to 3gp

Charley

Just Do It
gxsaurav said:
better then AIMone vide oconvertor is xilisoft video convertor, it can convert to & from maore formats then AIMOne even can convert to 3gp

What is the link. I just downloaded the AIM.....

OP
maverickrohan

maverickrohan

SABER RIDER
hey @gx

BTW thanx for Xilisoft & ImTOO DVD Ripper too...

I had always heard about them but since i have like loads n loads of Video Conversion softwares i dint feel like downloading them just for the heck of it...

ImTOO DVD Ripper is exactly the same as #1 DVD Ripper in all aspects .............ImTOO just has one very usefull feature which #1DVD Ripper does not...

i.e. Luminisance Adjustment..........u can brighten up dark DVDs :)

Hey BTW, the one feature I miss a lot in DVD rippers is that none of them have an in built cropper like VirtualDub or DivX have............N since I never use DivX to rip DVDs a cropper is what i miss the most.........

Nyone come across ny DVD ripper with cropping support please lemme know...Thnx in advance..........

OP
maverickrohan

maverickrohan

SABER RIDER
@indy

I wud defy not recommend DivX for quality....
DivX is only gud for portability as nowadays u get DivX implemented in DSP proccessors which r used to make h/w DivX players like the Mitashi one in the indian market.....

For VCD ripping........
VCD Gear 3.56 + VirtualDub 1.6.7 ==THE WINNING COMBINATION...........
it cant get better than that.............

For DVD Ripping.........
ImTOO DVD Ripper
You shud just know all the settings well n how they affect ur output.....

AimONE n Xilisoft Video Converters for VIDEO TRANSCODING if I may put it that way...
Both r gud.......Currently downloadin Xilisoft.....
But been using AimONE for more than a year......Rock Solid n Stable n supports all formats execpt *.3gp.......

Il tell u abt their comparison little li8r............

The Bitrate for encoding depends on what o/p filesize u want......eg. 1 700MB CD-R

just read this thread again to c how to FIX ur bitrate.......for a particular codec/video input....

right now the Best Codecs r VP7, H264/x264, VP62 & XviD(but u gotta play around more with its settings for good results....defaults rnt good enough)..........

Charley

Just Do It
maverickrohan said:
For VCD ripping........
VCD Gear 3.56 + VirtualDub 1.6.7 ==THE WINNING COMBINATION...........
it cant get better than that.............

Is it necessary to have both ???

rollcage

AMD user for 9 yrs!!
maverickrohan said:
DivX is only gud for portability as nowadays u get DivX implemented in DSP proccessors which r used to make h/w DivX players like the Mitashi one in the indian market.....
Why not??
Many Dvd players support it!

The Bitrate for encoding depends on what o/p filesize u want......eg. 1 700MB CD-R
it comes to for for a Eng movie-600kbps n for hindi-400kbps apprx.

So, we can acheive a good quality OR it is better to rip Dvd in 2 x 700 MB CD-R ?

right now the Best Codecs r VP7, H264/x264, VP62 & XviD(but u gotta play around more with its settings for good results....defaults rnt good enough)..........
Which 1 should be used for good quality rippin??

XviD is the reverse of DivX How they are related.

Indyan said:
I am still alittle puzzled.
Suppose i want to rip a 2 Cd VCD into 1 cd what software should i use and what encoder(format).
Also if i want to rip 1 DVD to 1 CD what woul you recomend?

XviD

To rip DVD to CD -

Download and install the latest Xvid codec from here -
*www.koepi.org/xvid.shtml
get version 1.1.x beta

Get Gordian Knot Rip Pack (front end for ripping+encoding) from here -
*sourceforge.net/projects/gordianknot/

Download and read this excellent Gordian Knot illustrated guide -
*www.rita.lt/guides/GKnot%20ILLUSTRATED%20GUIDE%20(DVDtoAVI)%20v.12%20by%20dap%20&%20js.zip

This has instructions for both DivX and Xvid ripping using GK. I prefer Xvid for single CD rips.

-Keith

OP
maverickrohan

maverickrohan

SABER RIDER
@achacko

VCD Gear + VirtualDub 1.6.7

Yes it is necessary to have both as they r used to do 2 different things....iv written abt this b4 but i'll reiterate...

In a VCD MPEG1 evcoded video is packed in a *.DAT container which also contains redundant information.........

If u directly encode *.DAT files or *.DAT files renamed to *.mpg ->> U get major A/V sync problems in the Encoded File...

VirtualDub Uses a Very Sensitive MPEG Parser and does not accept MPEG files with even the minutest of errors...

Now u use The DAT->MPEG function along with "Fix MPEG Errors" in VCD Gear to get a clean MPEG file which u use as an Input for VirtualDub...

Steps:

1. Use VCD Gear to Directly Copy the *.DAT files to *.mpg files converting them on the fly..

2. Open VirtualDub n Open this MPG file

3. In Video->Filters
Add Resize Filter n Set output to 384x288(Bicubic A=1.0) Use The Cropping tool to visually crop the Video for a perfect FIT!!!

4. Use The HSV tool to correct Brightness, Contrast n Hues....Visually

5. In Video->Compression
Select VP62 as ur Codec:
Mode=Good Quality Fast Encoding
Set Material as Progressive
End usage=VBR
AutoKeyframe=Enabled
Keyframe Every 120s
Noise Reduction=0 to 3 depending on ur input
Sharpness=5
Select Bitrate ....After Calculating(depends on ur movie length n desired filesize...use ny Bitrate Calculator to do this....but for VP62 use Calculated Bitrate-20)

Advanced Settings:
Adjust Quantizer: Min=4 & Max=40

6. In Audio->Enable Full Processing Mode

7. Audio->Compression
Select DivX WMA
Select 64kbps stereo(for video) as the bitrate

Thats It.......

Now depending on no. of MPG files that make up the movie mostly 2-3 VCDs make up a movie

...Go on adding this job to job control...
Finally ul have 2-3 jobs......when ur done adding all the MPGs
Then Start n VirtualDub does the rest!!!!!

@rollcage
rollcage said:
maverickrohan said:

Why not??
Many Dvd players support it!

Ur funny mann
I have written DivX is implemented in H/W n is hence more portable.......
N u have written exactly the same thing..(many DVD plyers support it) :lol:

You cannot generalize 600kbps for english n 400kbps for hindi
There r many 2.30 to 4 hour English movies...!!!

U use ny of the various bitrate calculators avilable to get the exact bitrate which will give u the exact desired Filesize(say 700MB).....BTW XviD & DivX have Bitrate Calculators InBuilt!!!

VP62 & XviD r the best codecs u can use now
XviD's default settings rnt good enough......i'll give u the best settings(which also make the codec 2 times slower) in my Codec Settings Thread..
But The No. 1 on my list is:

VP62

XviD ---MIRROR---> DivX
Well the original DivX 3 was nuthing but a hacked version of MS MPEG4 v3
Even the UI of the codec was the same...

Then The creator of the DivX 3 :) Codec joined DivX Networks n they crated DivX 4 which is an Open Source Codec

XviD is an OffShoot of this DivX 4

XviD is still free whereas DivX went commercial after DivX 5

Thats the story in brief..........U wanna know more just visit www.doom9.org

@ Indy
Ur VCD question is answered above

Ur DVD question is answered in this thread too....

P.S. > As far as VP62's encoding power is concerned............trust me you can easily fit in a 4 HOUR movie (eg. Cleopatra, The Ten Commnadments, etc.) ONTO a 700MB CD with quality almost as good as the orignal VCD/DVD....

Iv done it...!!! 8)

Oh yeah n VP70 beats H264 based codecs at lower bitrates :twisted:
And at higher bitartes almost All the top Codecs r good....so it does not provide a good ground for competition anywazz....

OP
maverickrohan

maverickrohan

SABER RIDER
@gx

Hey Iv got a :shock: BIG SHOCK :shock: yesterday cos of u.....

U suggested ImTOO DVD Ripper n Xilisoft Video Converter...

Well heres what happ.

I downloaded both......then i went ahead n downloaded Xilisoft DVD ripper too...

N guess what..................when i installed Xilisoft DVD ripper.........IT WAS EXACTLY THE SAME AS ImTOO DVD Ripper...only a different skin n Different Names.........even the goddamnn ICON is the same...even the version no. 2.0.52 :shock:

N to add to my trouble installing both these softwares on ur system at the same time makes it unstable........
I opened Xilisoft DVD ripper n closed it n i thot it looked exactly the same as ImTOO so i tried opening ImTOO DVD ripper but it wudnt............n nor wud ny other program on my comp.........n guess what..........even Task Manager took 30 secs to open.........

N there was the culprit vconvert.exe still running in the processes.....UNTERMINATED............

I dont know whose copied whoum but from the name it looks like ImTOO has copied Xilisoft :D

n about Xilisoft Video Converter............IT SUX

U cant encode *.avi's using codecs installed on ur system but only inbuilt into the s/w...........n they have the shitiest codecs there

n it gives n option for DivX n guess what u can only use DivX 4 n there is no option to change the settings.........

I dint like the UI at all

Just cos it supports *.3gp doesnt mean its good...........
N its not stable too.............many a times it never encoded at all...........it crashed n left a 128KB file with no video as the output

AimONE Rulz ........... MANN!!!............Very Stable n supports VBR audio(as i/p) too

Very neat interface...........chk it out...!!!

Hey fellows i tried this one the auto gordiant knot and i bet it is the best i have seen and yes it takes time but it gives the best results it is good. :D

rollcage

AMD user for 9 yrs!!
*img204.echo.cx/img204/7651/screenshotdvdrip2is.th.jpg

It took 4 hours to rip a 2.03 hour movie... how much time you get.

I used the following setting:

VP62 as Codec:
Material as Progressive
End usage=VBR
AutoKeyframe=Enabled
Keyframe Every 120s
Noise Reduction=1
Sharpness=5
Bitrate = 632kbps

Advanced Settings:

Despite being on a latest processor. :(

rollcage said:
*img204.echo.cx/img204/7651/screenshotdvdrip2is.th.jpg

It took 4 hours to rip a 2.03 hour movie... how much time you get.

I used the following setting:

VP62 as Codec:
Material as Progressive
End usage=VBR
AutoKeyframe=Enabled
Keyframe Every 120s
Noise Reduction=1
Sharpness=5
Bitrate = 632kbps

Advanced Settings:

Despite being on a latest processor. :(

Wow! That's slow. I see from your screenshot that you're encoding at 13 fps . Try Xvid for speed. On my previous system (much slower than yours), I could get sustained speeds of 27fps with Xvid (using GordianKnot).

Now, I have no experience with VP6 based codecs, but I had a feeling they where faster.

Keith

Top Bottom