Which is the best video codec out there?

The Best Codec According to me is:

• Total voters

Charley

Just Do It
I have lots of video files download from kazaalite. Most of them work, but some dont work but the formats are avi, mpe, mpg, asf. I have klite codecs but that doesnt also seem to open the files. What can be done to view those files.

BTW which is the best codecs, which opens all formats? Please provide the link for download

theraven

Technomancer
best codecs which opens all formats ?
nonono
a codec will work only for a file with the specific codec used to encode it
as in if u have an xvid avi
the xvid codec ONLY will be used to decode it not the divx
and so on n so forth
afaik ur video is corrupted thats all i can say
atleast try uninstallin and reinstallin ur codec back

rohanbee

Padawan
well this is a very very informative thread. I never ventured out anything beyond divx but i think i would like to try out some new softwares soon.

Charley

Just Do It
@Raven - I tried that but it still remains the same. It doesnt open the file at all. Maybe the file is corrupted then.

OP
maverickrohan

maverickrohan

SABER RIDER
@achacko
Firstly uninstall all the codec uv installed on ur comp...

The, install K-Lite Codec Pack from www.free-codecs.com

It will also install a codec info tool called G-Spot, right click on the file u cant play n then open it with G-Spot.... then try the render option in G-Spot...

N ya, do post the results from G-Spot here...i'll try to figure out whats wrong....

@rollcage

1.Defult volume?
Well many DVDs have a low volume, so most of the DVD rippers have an option where u can amplify it...Set this to 5-7 depending on the orignal volume of the DVD....try ripping 5-10 minutes of the video n then play it back to test the loudness of the audio...

2.Does the .avi file can be copied on normal cd
if so then does it playable as dvd movie on hifi systems
NO!!!
A *.avi file is not a video or audio fromat but just a container similar to *.dat for MPEG1 VCD format...
But u do get some DVD players that can play DivX n XviD files with MP3 used as the audio codec. VP62(or for that matter most of the codecs) can also be implemented the same way but the H/W players(which use h/w DSP chips) r not easily available in the market.

3.wat should be the resolution.
that depends on the length of the movie n the orignal resolution(n quality) of the DVD/VCD/MPEG?(whatever)....I have posted a suggested resolutions chart at the beginning depending on the aspect ratio of the orginal.....this is slightly tricky n mostly u shud always select a slightly lower res than the orignal when u wanna compress video

4.temporary bufer n wat is special optimisation
It is the amount of the vob(mpeg2) stream #1DVD ripper buffers in ur RAM or page file(depending on the size of ur RAM) to avoid continous running of ur DVD ROM for 2 to 5 hours.....
Spwcial optimization is the Instruction Set the s/w selects at the core CPU, level, depending on the CPU u have(AMD,Intel..)

5.wat is ASPI, i installed but duno wat it is
An ASPI driver is required for digital audio extraction (DAE) . Windows 95 or 98 comes with the ASPI manager pre-installed, while NT does not. To tell if you have an ASPI manager installed, look for a file called WNASPI32.DLL in your Windows system directory (c:\windows\system or c:\winnt\system32 are common locations).#1 DVD ripper comes with ASPI driver for win32 V4.7 .After installing #1 DVD ripper you can find it in the start menu group of #1 dvd ripper.

6.why the Audio Setting for .avi dont show WMA
cos wma is a propritery M$ codec....
U can use DivX WMA v2 @ 64kbps instead...its the same thing hacked by DivX......during playback it uses the same decoder as the M$ WMA...but u cant use it with #1DVD ripper...as it has lame MP3 encoder inbuilt.

7.The Setting req to be done for VP62 Codec (a diff tab opens)
and
it also has a option to Browse to the settings file.
Explaing this will take a huge amout of space....
basically when u wanna rip a DVD, u usually wanna compress it to the size of 1CD (700MB).....so ur supposed to select a bitrate which will compress whatever length the orignal DVD to 700MB......to do this u get many bitrate calculators.....but these r designed for DivX n XviD.....to use the same for VP62 just reduce the bitrate they give by 20 (eg. supp u get 680kbps....set 660kbps in the VP62 settings) .........most of the other settings r given on the first post.......content = progressive...sharpness=7 NR=0....Automatic keyframe = enabled....Keyframe every 120s...etc.
undershoot target = 90%...
Adjust quantizer : Min=4 & Max=5

OP
maverickrohan

maverickrohan

SABER RIDER
oh n that browse for the settings file is there cos u can save different settings n use them agian without having to make them again

Charley

Just Do It
@ Maverick - I tried the reinstallation again, but in the folder "Tools" there is an icon as Gspot Codec Information only and I clicked on that and opened the file it showed information of the file, but some asf files didnt show anything & when I opened it by the player option in it a message popped up that ur OS is out of resources .. Why is that happening ?

For your information I tried opening it after exiting Gspot and opned thru the Quick time Media Alternative it opened but not the asf files.

OP
maverickrohan

maverickrohan

SABER RIDER
asf file.....hmnnn ....u shud have said that first...

Windows Media ASF View 9 Series......

Download this tool ..... G-Spot is for *.avi & not for ASF

u'll get the above tool on the Microsoft Site....

its a similar tool like G-Spot.......try that on ur ASF files n then tell me the results.......

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, the divx is not putting audio after it ripps .vob into .avi. What is the problem i tried every thing unin divx and it didn't work. What the hell is with divx(1.02). :shock:

OP
maverickrohan

maverickrohan

SABER RIDER
dude....divx does not put audio into ur avi file...n BTW u gave very little info for me to answer ur question completely...........

plz specify which s/w u use to rip DVDs n what settings u specified etc. etc. n whats DivX 1.02??

u get XviD 1.03 n DivX 5.21......Dudehhh!!!

Charley

Just Do It
maverickrohan said:
asf file.....hmnnn ....u shud have said that first...

Windows Media ASF View 9 Series......

Download this tool ..... G-Spot is for *.avi & not for ASF

u'll get the above tool on the Microsoft Site....

its a similar tool like G-Spot.......try that on ur ASF files n then tell me the results.......

This wouldnt work on mine as my OS is Win 98. Gimme any other soln

:?:

OP
maverickrohan

maverickrohan

SABER RIDER
hmnnn dudeh............ even an asf file can have any codec embedded within it or i guess it might be protected............if i had the file onmy comp i wud be able to diagonise better but since u cant even use Windows Media ASF View 9 Series on ur comp i dont even know the internals of the file........so the only solution is G Spot n how it renders it..........or try updating ur DirectX to 9c, which i guess it already must b..........anywaz, otherwise chuck it........BTW which video is it????????/

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
rohan...I have a different problem. I am currently using Nero to encode my existing movies to DVD format. Now the movie which I am trying to encode has audio ia AC3 format in 5 channels. However no matter what I do with Nerovision it always encodes in 2 channels and hence I loose audio quality. I have installed all the necessary plugins as well for nero and yet this issue comes up. Any idea whats going on ? Is there an alternative to Nero to encode movies to DVD format.

Aila :shock: , man what is that Dr.divx 5!!!!. Man put me the site u get it and here is what i do ot rip.
1. First copy the dvd file on my hard d .
2. Then open the Dr.Divx and specify the options and rip the file from location i saved the dvd on my hard disk.
3. Then what i burn them.
I have done this many times and it has worked and now it all got busted bro tell me waht u do.
And tried the k-lite codec and even vp6 it is good.But still don't get the sound in hte avi output! :roll:

And dude, i have seen the Dr.Divx showing the audio on the file and i have ripped many times and i have seen the ripped mpeg-2 file to avi. Now how is that? :lol:

Exactly tell me how u do it?................................................

Hey bro u think i have divx1.02 codec? dude i am talking about the Dr.Divx 1.02 encoder man not the codec. U see it's latest version on the chip dvd. I exactly don't know the version.

I have ripped about 5dvd's of each 8gb of movie and never faced a problem.

OP
maverickrohan

maverickrohan

SABER RIDER
@hemlani
dude............if u wanna talk abt Dr. DivX..........u shud specifically write Dr. DivX.................n not just DivX..................cos if u write just DivX....everybodys gonna think ur reffering to the codec.............

n one more thing...........u dont need to COPY the DVD to the hard disk to rip it.........why wud u wanna do that.............u can RIp directly from the DVD.........

N why dont u try using more specialized DVD rippers like #1 DVD ripper..........it has an inbuilt Lame MP3 encoder with Dolby Surround........

Read this thread form the beginning to find out the rest of the things.....

@icekoolz

I got it..... Super DVD Creator --->>> www.alldj.com

Check it out n lemme know...:)

OP
maverickrohan

maverickrohan

SABER RIDER
@halemani
dude........plzz read this entire thread b4 posting.......there is lotta info in it......

@icekoolz

oh yeah, that things gotta AC3 Encoder........so i guess it HAS to work 4 u.......5.1 channels

Happy Encoding :)

Top Bottom