Which is the best video codec out there?

The Best Codec According to me is:

• Total voters

axxo

99.9% Idle
I guessed it right
look at the output format, its avi
all it does is conversion(original format is not preserved)

Udaya Maurya

Journeyman
axxo, if you're the one who uploads cool movies on torrents, I've a question to you that why don't you use VP70 or rmvb and provide codec with every movie of yours. At least quality will be improved with the same 700 MB size.

ratedrsuperstar

The Sexy Beast
^ well he aint the gr8 Axxo.i really will relish the day vp7 becomes mainstream.i've been fighting for it since about 2yrs.if not it rmvb and h.264 are good enough.

axxo

99.9% Idle
^ well he aint the gr8 Axxo.i really will relish the day vp7 becomes mainstream.i've been fighting for it since about 2yrs.if not it rmvb and h.264 are good enough.

rightly said am not the gr8 aXXo but a step ahead than him :).
btw I have been using vp7 for all my encodings. well for one reason divx still rocks...and that is player compatibility.I can watch axxo videos on my 29"tv and local dvd player without any re-encoding. But will not be the case for vp7 or h.264 or wmv videos.

reachrishikh

Broken In
well for one reason divx still rocks...and that is player compatibility.I can watch axxo videos on my 29"tv and local dvd player without any re-encoding. But will not be the case for vp7 or h.264 or wmv videos.
Just output a signal from your computer to your 29" TV, and you'll be set to watch all your VP7, and H.264 videos as well. ;)

BTW, does the OP post on this thread anymore?

axxo

99.9% Idle
not everyone will have pc and TV side by side for the config as you said above.
In my case PC is my room(II floor). Tv is in 1st floor hall.

axxo

99.9% Idle
btw anyone got info on wmv10/wmv11..it looks like every codec progressed atleast one version ahead of wmv9 and still not a minor improved version from ms wmv. DO they have any plan to implement AVC type coding for wmv?

royalanalog

Right off the assembly line
Hi! Acc to Mitashi's URL @ *www.mitashi.com/CMS/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=22&Itemid=45

6 DVDs can be compressed in2 one. When I tried Divx yesterday, it compressed 1GB VOB File into a 512 MB file when I selected compression type as 700 MB CD Type. How does one achieve the compression @ ratio 6:1 for vob files ?
I like ogg

Acc to Mitashi's URL @ *www.mitashi.com/CMS/index.php...d=22&Itemid=45
6 DVDs can be compressed in2 one( or 7.45 GB can be compressed into a 700 MB CD). When I tried Divx yesterday, it compressed one (of the many) 1GB VOB Files only into a 512 MB file when I selected compression type as 700 MB CD Type. But ideally, 7.45 GB has to be compressed into a 700 MB CD. How does one achieve this high rate of compression for VOB files ? Or is there any other popular CODEC that achieves this high compression rate? Please help as I need to compress the DVD files and back 'em up.

Last edited:
btw anyone got info on wmv10/wmv11..it looks like every codec progressed atleast one version ahead of wmv9 and still not a minor improved version from ms wmv. DO they have any plan to implement AVC type coding for wmv?
nope.
i don't think ms wants to do avc, because their vc1 is already accepted as a standard for hd media drives/

karmanya

Journeyman
Im sure this question is redundant, but I was wondering, whats the difference between avi, VP70 and divX? and which would be the best format to backup downloaded movies?

axxo

99.9% Idle
Im sure this question is redundant, but I was wondering, whats the difference between avi, VP70 and divX? and which would be the best format to backup downloaded movies?

avi is container...whereas vp70 and divx are codecs used for compression. currently divx rules bcoz of wide acceptance and standalone players that support this format.
However vp7 do have their own stand being used in streaming videos..like in youtube, flash, etc.

Top Bottom