Which is the best video codec out there?

The Best Codec According to me is:

• Total voters
OP
maverickrohan

maverickrohan

SABER RIDER
WinAVI ... has never worked for me ... it normally hangs in the middle of the encoding process :(

Even Im looking for a good ALL Format Video Encoder/Transcoder which has some additional filters like VD .. but havnt been able to find nay yet :(

ratedrsuperstar

The Sexy Beast
have you found it i so please let us know and plz tell me how to set the audio bitrate in winavi coz when i select a audio codec and click on settings after choosing the codec it displays the video codec settings so i have to then decrease the bitrate in VD after completion also suggest me a good mov,rm,rvmb to avi with codec selction software

OP
maverickrohan

maverickrohan

SABER RIDER
for ur first question ... no i havnt found any software which combines multi formats & the filters of VD

I liked WinAVI cos it has a basic cropping n resizer filter ... but it has never worked for me ... it always hangs no matter what version i get n on which comp i try ...

About another multi format converter ... u have AimONE Video Converter ... but the audio format is fixed as 128kbps mp3 for avi

ratedrsuperstar

The Sexy Beast
it even corrupted my codecs.Also which filter mode for the resize filter mode shuld i use.

and how can i convert the audio from ea's NFSCarbon .vp6 files i've converted it to avi but it's 6channel audio plays very slowly(i mean the tempo) and is not supported by any audio codecs plz help dude.

OP
maverickrohan

maverickrohan

SABER RIDER
for resize u shud use Presize Bicubic (A=1)

BTW which s/w did u use to convert *.vp6 to *.avi .... lemme know ...

Also for converting 6 channel audio to 2 channel the DivX WMA codec does it internally ...

ratedrsuperstar

The Sexy Beast
i used the batch file from edge-files.com that u had suggested earlier also even divx wma v2 doesnt play properly the audio still runs at 1/10th of it's original tempo

OP
maverickrohan

maverickrohan

SABER RIDER
tell me ... u said that it is six channel audio and it plays very slowly ...

how did u know it was six channel ... ?

if you could fiind that out you can definately find out which codec was it originally encoded in ... ? ... so lemme know

and even after converting it to DivX WMA it plays slow there must be a problem with the way it is structure of the *.avi file is getting made in the end of the conversion ...

If that is the case transcode the generated avi file in VD ...

This is a slightly complicated process ...

First of all open the file in VD n check its file properties ...

See whether the duration of the audio n video are same ...

if they r not then thats where the problem lies ... players usually always play the video at the correct speed and force the audio to play at any speed ...

Use Direct Stream Copy for Video

the in audio u need to reencode using advanced filtering ...

in the advanced filters there is a streach option where u need to mention the amout u want to streach the duration of the audio as a ratio (+ve or -Ve ) based on whether u want it to play faster or slower ... when u r doing this u will see th new duration ... and u gotta match this with trial n error to the duration of the video ...

Then ur transcoded avi will play fine ...

but first lemme know the audio codec used?

ratedrsuperstar

The Sexy Beast
dude it is easy to know the type of audio and video codec used simply right click on the video and select properties then click the details tab there i found out that the audio was 6 channel and it was PCM

OP
maverickrohan

maverickrohan

SABER RIDER
hey ... i know how to do it in many ways n i know it is easy ... but the reason i asked u that is cos i wanted to know how did u find out & mainly what codec it was ... actually it is really hard to believe that the videos in NFS were 6 channel PCM ... 6 channel Yes ... but PCM ... naah ... there must be some problem ... PCM takes up a lot of space ... it find it hard to believe that the videos are encoded using one of the best proprietery video codecs(VP62) and the audio is 6 channel PCM ... do u know even if it was just 2 channel PCM it would be a large percentage of the file size ... 6 channel PCM would be more than 50% of the file size of the video ... nopes .. its not possible ...

what might have happened is that u might have encoded it using VD using PCM ...

anywaz i dont think i have all the data ... or u have provided me with some incorrect data ...

OP
maverickrohan

maverickrohan

SABER RIDER
Yeah XviD is good, better than DivX ....

For more on why to compress video and just to delve in more into the topic u can visit here:

*www.on2.com/technology/why-compress-video/

rollcage

AMD user for 9 yrs!!
Dont know why Auto GK has only xvid by default, they must support X264 too.

Hey Champ is there any way to use VP70 with Auto GK,

2. Some video converters have one option .. convert to MP4, (whats this simple mp4)
also Whats the codec MP4 in dbpoweramp

Regards

OP
maverickrohan

maverickrohan

SABER RIDER
Auto GK has XviD & DivX ... even I hope they make something like AutoGK for VP70 or X264 ... AutoGK rocks!!!

Mp4, simple MP4 etc are basically the Microsoft spec original MPEG4 codec ...

this had three versions ... mpeg4 s1, s2 & s3 ...

DivX 3 was a copy of the MS mpeg4 s3 ... u see thats the reason DivX begins from DivX 3 and not 1 then there was open DivX 4 ... then from DivX 5 to 6.5 DIvX is now a proprietary MPEG4 codec.

XviD was derived from Open DivX 4 ... and till date is an open source codec

X264 is an AVC (Advanced Video Codec) ... MPEG4 Part 10

VP70/VP62 has been a proprietary codec always but VP30 has been open source from the past 3 yrs and the the makers of the famous OGG Vorbis audio codec are working on VP30 and have rechristened their version as the Theora Codec (Open Source)

VP62 was adopted by adobe for the now revolutionary and popular FLV1 codec ... i.e. the videos u see on YouTube etc.

Also it is used by EA for all their game videos .. and many more ppl ...

rollcage

AMD user for 9 yrs!!
Thanx, very informative as always

Yes Auto GK really Rocks .. very easy and right on target. No confusing settings. I thought may be theres a way to add the VP62/VP70 in Auto GK. that way can have best of both the worlds

The other thing that I fail to understand why XviD is over hyped.. and dvd players arent universal but they show in highlight DivX compatible.
can those player read VP62/VP70 .. !!

VP70/VP62 has been a proprietary codec always but VP30 has been open source from the past 3 yrs and the the makers of the famous OGG Vorbis audio codec are working on VP30 and have rechristened their version as the Theora Codec (Open Source)
So VP62 and VP30 are different..
its nice that OGG Vorbis makers are going for video codec based on VP30, that means we may have another gr8 codec coming from them to lead.

Ogg Vorbis is quite good actually, I use it on my mobile.. even 48kbps gives good sound.
and their OggPlay application for symbian phones is just gr8 .. it rocks,
havnt found anyother gr8 player than that. makes your mobile a real i-pod. ;)

VP62 was adopted by adobe for the now revolutionary and popular FLV1 codec ... i.e. the videos u see on YouTube etc.
I actually wanted to ask you about the FLV, bcoz I use to write file_name.FLV .. flv as extention to save the YouTube videos using the videodownloader extention, one thing why is the file size large in case of flv, is that so or just looks to be as big.
now I know its based on VP62.

OP
maverickrohan

maverickrohan

SABER RIDER
No there is no way to add VP70 to AGK as of now ...

DivX Compatible means, thay can play almost all MPEG 4 encoded Disks, which includes, DIvX, Xvid, 3viX, MPG4sv3 etc.

XviD is hyped bcos its better than DivX ... and in the world of codecs XviD/DivX r like mp3 ... u see even though wma, ogg, avc, m4a, mp3pro are better than mp3 ... mp3 is still popular ...

N yeah VBR OGG Vorbis is awesome .. i know ... very good quality at 80kbps and for phones etc. 40kbps at VBR is sufficient too!

*.flv is correct it is flash video ... the size directly depends on the encoders bitrate .. after all its video man ...

Top Bottom