Which is the best linux for begginers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
Hi

I am thinking of learning linux. I know that there are a lot of posts about this matter but I was so confused by a differant opinion in each one of them I am posting it again.

I have redhat 9 Knoppix 3.2 live cd and fedora 5. Which one should I start with? Where can I find a good book on Linux. Suggest the names of the books and the author.

Aditya

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
the most suited distro for starters is mandriva or ubuntu.

mandrivared:it gives a feel of windows working in envirment.

redhat 9:It is a age old distro which is preceed by the fedora core 5.so no point going for it.

knoppix:It a live envirment that is it runs thorugh cd so the performance will be very slow.it is useful for people who just want to feel what linux is all about.u are serious of learning linux u should install it on your harddrive to unleash the true power of linux.

Fedora core 5: i very good distro indeed, many of my fellow members are using this.but its mainly for advanced ppl.

ubuntu 6.06:my personnel choice.its debian based package mgt sys is very good. but the problem is it comes with very less softwares so u have to download them from internet.plus point it has indepth support in form of malling list, user groups, forums,irc's.and lots of official documentions

see my personnel opnion lets see whats others say about it

[edit]learn linux online from start:*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31059

Last edited:

bukaida

In the zone
start with DSL live CD provided in april 2006 DIGIT.You even donot have to install it.Also the Fast track came with that issue is a good startup for linux beginners.

OP
aditya.shevade

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
It was my XII exams so I donot have the issues for last 2 years :-(. I restarted with digit in June 2006. I think they will provide the fast track on dvd (pdf) so I will get it there.

Thank you garry. I will go with mandriva then.

Aditya

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
@Aditya, your question has been answered numerous times by now!!
So do some searching in the forum before you post!!
Thread reported

Pathik

Google Bot
i wd recommend MANDRAKE mandrake 10.x as i started with that...
but FC5 and UBUNTU6.06 r the best now

OP
aditya.shevade

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
@ J Guru

Will you please take some effort and read the question that I asked throughly? I have plainly stated that I know aboult all the threads out there but I was confused, each one of them says a differant name. That's why I have posted it again.

What is your problem?

Aditya

Venom

Journeyman
Heck man, all come ask and go away. I've seen this over a year as a visitor itself. If you really want to learn linux just go pick up ANY damn copy and learn, cause all ARE the same. If you think you cant manage with 'any' and need very basic help etc, ask here!

Or if you dont like asking, buy Xandros or Linspire paid distros and live happy.

mediator

Technomancer
@Jguru it doesnt matter now if it has been answered before ....many ppl forget to search! I maself have answered posts like connecting 2 pc's,network problem etc like 20 times now each on different thread!! Mods shud merge all of em under one name. I think its the duty of mods.

@aditya.shevade....take it easy ( by eagles )!

Neways let us sing @Jguru and @aditya.shevade bhai bhai....rhythematically!!

Pathik

Google Bot
@aditya take it easy man...
cos if u do install linux and have ny probs then u ll have to come to the J'linux'GURU
:))

OP
aditya.shevade

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
It's OK I was just mad (only at that time) at him. But he was right too, many people (including me) ask a question which has been answered before and that may be frustrating for him. I have got to say only one thing, give the link to the old thread please!.

And forget what I said, I am sorry.

Aditya

abhishekkulkarni

Journeyman
The best Linux for beginners is MEPIS - *www.mepis.org

I am very surprised that no one has suggested it here :eek: :eek: .

Let's quote mepis.org here -

Why SimplyMEPIS Linux?

SimplyMEPIS allows you to test and try the software before you install to your harddrive
SimplyMEPIS includes the very best business and multimedia programs
SimplyMEPIS features unique hardware detection and configuration superior to any others
SimplyMEPIS is pre-configured for simplicity and ease of use, you're productive in a matter of minutes, not hours.

And yes , whatever they've said is completely true .
The OS installs in 6 minutes flat :)

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
You can try Mandriva 2006 which is the best one for users new to Linux world.
I told you that your question was answered several times, here are the links:
* *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30185
* *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30066
* *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28876

I hope your questions are answered by now,
By the way I was not angry; just pointing out to the forum rules that says " Search
before you post. maybe your question was already answered!!"

borg

In the zone
If you ask me, there are only four distros that new users should bother themselves with & they are-
Ubuntu
Mandriva
Fedora core
Suse

There maybe other distros which do this & that, but let us not bother new users with them. It only serves to confuse everyone. Moving to Linux itself is such a pain. So much to learn & figure out & on top of that u recommend some obscure distro & soon you will be seeing newbies running back to Windows. Mepis & all may be very nice but do they have the application & community support like the above mentioned four?. I don't think so. Mepis marketshare is well below the above mentioned four distros.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom