Which DVD Writer is Reliable and Durable ?

ssb1551

Technomancer
even a cheap 1k handset comes in a box nowadays with proper manual & all. DVD writers doesn't even comes sometimes. just you'll get is a disc reading "NERO.........." & if you lucky, a packet of screws (i not received on the LG drive).

I got my new(abt 2 months old) LG writer with a disc n manual but d new(abt new 2 months old) Samsung didn't come with anythin,only d writer in a plastic!!

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
I have an lg dvd combo derive which does not read cd s but can only read dvd-r and my sony dvd writer can not read dvd r

DVD RW are getting so cheap nowadays, i doubt if they use proper quality lens.

I got my new(abt 2 months old) LG writer with a disc n manual but d new(abt new 2 months old) Samsung didn't come with anythin,only d writer in a plastic!!

these (LG, Samsung) ppls practices their cost cutting measures everywhere. i feel in near future they mayn't even come with the plastic. just bare drive.

ssb1551

Technomancer
i feel in near future they mayn't even come with the plastic. just bare drive.

:rofl:..well quite possible but d prices hv stagnated for quite a while now!Now we need d prices of branded dual-layer DVDs to come down.70 bucks for a MoserBaer dual layer DVD is too much for me!!:wah:

RaptorX

Broken In
I have had positive experiences with lite-on drives. My old combo drive from many years ago still works fine. Since I recently bought a new dvd writer, I have now kept my old combo drive away, to be used as a backup incase the new drive suddenly conks off.

Last I checked, most of these dvd writers cost anywhere from 850 to 1100 bucks. Also, the LG and Samsung drives were sold in a plastic sheet with a cd. I'm not sure if these oem drives even come with a sata cable(Need clarification regarding this). The Lite-on and ASUS writers I saw, were sold in their respective boxes. It doesn't matter though, as there's hardly anything extra in the box besides slightly better packaging,a nero disc,sata cable, and a thin instruction manual.

On a side note....blank sony dvd's are still pretty expensive(25rs). I would have thought they would come down in price. No idea about Moser baer dvd quality.

ssb1551

Technomancer
^^SONY DVDs for 25 bucks!!:shock:..is it a single layer or dual?At my place I get 1 for 15 bucks!!Moser Baer quality is good.Infact Moser Baer makes d DVDs for SONY,HP..but they sell it usin their brand name!

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
:rofl:..well quite possible but d prices hv stagnated for quite a while now!Now we need d prices of branded dual-layer DVDs to come down.70 bucks for a MoserBaer dual layer DVD is too much for me!!:wah:

yes. no price drop since ~2yrs (friend brought DVD writer for ~1200 1yr ago & me 1050 3months ago).

and the good news, DL dvds not available at my place. it sounds strange but the major PC shops don't have stock of them.

I have had positive experiences with lite-on drives. My old combo drive from many years ago still works fine. Since I recently bought a new dvd writer, I have now kept my old combo drive away, to be used as a backup incase the new drive suddenly conks off.

nowadays lite-on or moserbear DVD-RW are better to get than the reputed ones. BTW how much lite-on cost? cheaper than LG-Samsung?

Last I checked, most of these dvd writers cost anywhere from 850 to 1100 bucks. Also, the LG and Samsung drives were sold in a plastic sheet with a cd. I'm not sure if these oem drives even come with a sata cable(Need clarification regarding this).

Sata cable? they don't even provide screws or manual (considered important by many) which cost next to nothing & you asking for sata cable? if they bundle a 15 bucks cheap sata cable they'll bump the price by a 100 or so.

The Lite-on and ASUS writers I saw, were sold in their respective boxes. It doesn't matter though, as there's hardly anything extra in the box besides slightly better packaging,a nero disc,sata cable, and a thin instruction manual.

so you have something to carry the drive (to Rashi) when it goes off after a few months of usage (talking about ASUSsssssssss.......). and you are told they won't accept it for warranty cause the sata cable is missing or the disc have some scratch or the user manual is missing (typical Rashi style) :evil:

also with so MANY accessories, they bound cost around 1.5k

^^SONY DVDs for 25 bucks!!:shock:..is it a single layer or dual?At my place I get 1 for 15 bucks!!Moser Baer quality is good.Infact Moser Baer makes d DVDs for SONY,HP..but they sell it usin their brand name!

definitely single layer. thankfully we not have Apple DVDs here (do they manufacture DVD?) else it'll easily cost you ONLY Rs.250. so cheap price :-D

jeetu

Broken In
Dvd Writers - The quality of new Samsung , sony and LG are just horrible, maybe because its an OEM issue.
The best i have seen in recent times are Boxed HP. ( best readers and damn good writers)

For Blank Dvd's nothing comes close to Verbitim DVD+R for single layer. Almost all dvd's give 99+ on dvdinfro quality rating. Rest are 95+. These cost between 500-550 Rs for 50 dvd pack.

Gollum

Collector
I've been using sony dvd's for a long time now.haven't given me much problems. It all depends on how you store your dvds.

ssb1551

Technomancer
Dvd Writers - The quality of new Samsung , sony and LG are just horrible, maybe because its an OEM issue.
The best i have seen in recent times are Boxed HP. ( best readers and damn good writers)

For Blank Dvd's nothing comes close to Verbitim DVD+R for single layer. Almost all dvd's give 99+ on dvdinfro quality rating. Rest are 95+. These cost between 500-550 Rs for 50 dvd pack.

I came across a shop which hd those writers.I never tot they were tht good!R HP writers tht good?
No doubt abt Verbatim.They r d best!But sadly it aint available at my place.Moreover these days wid all d m720p prints out single layer DVDs bcome expensive to store...thts y ppl like me need dual layer DVD prices to come down to affordable limit!I wont mind payin 25 bucks for a dual layer DVD but 70/75 is too much!

RaptorX

Broken In
@Sam- In most of these pc recommendation threads here and on the other indian forums, I see lg recommended quite often. Every shop I visited was selling this exact same oem model:
Newegg.com - LG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 22X DVD-R 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners
The newegg feedback made me reconsider. Prime then offered this ASUS model for 1100/-: Newegg.com - ASUS Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - CD / DVD Burners
The reviews of this drive seem great but I've read about so many bad experiences with Rashi products that I picked up a Lite-on instead. Apparently, it seems like the shop was finding it hard to sell off the lite-on drives. Maybe lack of brand awareness? Recent quality-dip? Anyway, he gave it for 900/- box & all (screws too). IIRC the lg oem drive was for 850/-.

-I don't think I have ever seen verbatim dvds. The only dvds I have access to are Sony SL for 25rs and Moser Baer SL for 20rs. Quite steep.

Last edited:

ramzsys

Broken In
The earlier LITEON was durable, i mean you can write all day long. In the current times, Sony is least worse than the rest. LG can play slightly damaged discs too, but LG fails in reliability. Go for SONY SAMSUNG or LG.

halo1

Broken In
My Samsung CD/DVD drive stopped working after 2.5-3 yrs of usage.
After reading all of the above posts, the OP will be more confused than before... Some of them are recommending SONY..while others are telling to go for LG!!!

The bottom line is that nowadays the DVD writers have become so cheap that they are not reliable anymore. I am planning to buy DVD writer and i am also confused regarding the same!!!! :(( :D

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
just get the cheapest available option. when it goes bad, don't even bother to get it repaired. just take out your frustration on that 1.5pound device till it shatters.

Piyush

Lanaya
lg/samsung/sony ...all are same

if u can find hp then its good

if u really wanna buy a good drive then look out for PLEXTOR brand
it will be 1k to 1.5k costlier than other brands

ssb1551

Technomancer
PLEXTOR!!New 1 for me!!n WHOA!!1-1.5k more than other brands!!Hey you sure it aint an external one?

mayur gaikwad

SUPPORT OPEN SOURCE
I am using for 10 months LG DVD Writer hasn't given problem when I burn dual layer DVDs.When you burn disc with lower speeds any brand's writer is good performer.But still Verbatim are best but not available.

Top Bottom