Which Brand to Select for 1TB HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krow

Crowman
I still say that WD Green is better for you MHG. WD Black is not worth the premium considering that WD Green is pretty reliable. Keep sacnning it for bad sectors and use HDD health metering softwares just to be on the safer side in the case of a faulty drive. :)

I still say that WD Green is better for you MHG. WD Black is not worth the premium considering that WD Green is pretty reliable. Keep sacnning it for bad sectors and use HDD health metering softwares just to be on the safer side in the case of a faulty drive. :)
My OS auto checks certain partitions (and I would include this HDD as well) after every n-number of mounts (I choose n=25) for errors. Is that enough ?

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
^^it's not just reliability. WD Black gives transfer speeds of 2x WD green and Blue.

here are the benchmarks:

*www.tomshardware.com/charts/3.5-hard-drive-charts/compare,658.html?prod[2057]=on&prod[2239]=on

Krow

Crowman
That will do for a daily scan, but make sure you scan all disks completely once every 2-3 weeks. Again, you need to have a steady backup of all your data and that is why desii and I both advice people to get 2x500. But to date I haven't heard of anyone's WD Green failing, so I'm not worried. But anyways, be careful about your data as I lost quite some important data due to carelessness of not scanning my disks regularly.

^^it's not just reliability. WD Black gives transfer speeds of 2x WD green and Blue.

here are the benchmarks:

*www.tomshardware.com/charts/3.5-hard-drive-charts/compare,658.html?prod[2057]=on&prod[2239]=on
Not 2x. The difference matches the price IMO. I mean, Green scores 75 and Black 85. Diff does not seem much considering price difference.

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
If this is the secondary hard drive or for a dump- WD green or if its primary/single drive then WD black editions.

If this is the secondary hard drive or for a dump- WD green or if its primary/single drive then WD black editions.
Yeah option 1. Its the secondary HDD for data storage. NO execution in here.

So now can someone suggest me good places to look for in SP Road where this can be had for a good bargain ?

OP
harishgayatri

harishgayatri

Broken In
Hey got the Hitachi HDD 1TB on 22nd Sept(Monday)

Works like a Charm.

Thanks to Techalomanic for his comments on Hitachi.

The HDD runs pretty cool

Thanks to all others too
harishgayatri

Krow

Crowman
^Pls scan your drive with disc checking utility from Hitachi website or use Seatools for windows from seagate website. If HDD has no bad sectors, then you can rejoice. I recommend doing this once a month as HDD's are pretty much a jackpot these days. :)

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
Hmm.. I'm confused between the WD Caviar Black and Seagate 7200.12.. Not considering WD Green cause of spindle speed (also, the Seagate 7200.12 is the same price as the Green and offers performance which is similar to the WD Black).

How is the reliability of the 7200.12 series? That is my only concern with Seagate.

Last edited:

Krow

Crowman
I am using the 7200.12 series and its pretty good although I had got via RMA of the 7200.11, which fried. One 7200.12 had bad sectors, while the second one (again RMA) is just fine. :) You can go ahead and buy the cheapest one. If you are looking for good storage, get the WD Green as it has low power consumption too. Performance matters only if you are going to be using the HDD all the time. If you are going to be moving files to and fro many many times and transfer speed absolutely matters to you, then Seagate is a great option.

Look for a few cool deals IMO. Someone in the forum got the 1TB Seagate External with external power source for 3.9k

kalpik

Dont want an external HDD.. Want an internal one.. So you are saying that Seagate 7200.12 is reliable? WD Green is tooo slow.. Very bad performance numbers and it's a 5200 RPM drive :(

If you guys say that Seagate is unreliable, i guess my only option would be WD Black.. Which is ~1.5k more expensive than WD Green or Seagate :(

Last edited:

Krow

Crowman
Seagate is pretty reliable with the 7200.12 series. Get it and keep scanning for bad sectors and use HDD health softwares to monitor drive health so that you can backup all important data in case the drive is defective. Don't trust any HDD, Seagate or WD.

The WD Green is a 5400RPM drive and its performance is not as bad as you are saying it is. My friend has it and he has no complaints and gets about 25-30 MB/s in Vista while copying 50+GB at once. Can't get too much better than that, can it? Its meant to be a green drive, that is, a low power consumption drive.

kalpik

Hmm.. The seek times on the Seagate 7200.12 are quite erratic.. Doesn't seem to be much quality control these days at Seagate :-/ Anyway, I'm heading to nehru place today. 99% chance that I'm going with the WD Black :)

Power_user_EX

Searching for Anti-Matter
Seagate's 1TB Hdds were having some firmware problem months back and many ppl lost their data permanently which made news on internet forums. Don't know if the prob is solved now. But WD Green (2nd generation) is currenlt best choice due to its huge power saving and performance. I Just bought a new WD green 1TB.

mayanksharma

Ambassador of Buzz
Hmm.. The seek times on the Seagate 7200.12 are quite erratic.. Doesn't seem to be much quality control these days at Seagate :-/ Anyway, I'm heading to nehru place today. 99% chance that I'm going with the WD Black :)
So, what did you go for? :D
Seagate's 1TB Hdds were having some firmware problem months back and many ppl lost their data permanently which made news on internet forums. Don't know if the prob is solved now. But WD Green (2nd generation) is currenlt best choice due to its huge power saving and performance. I Just bought a new WD green 1TB.
WD Green is the best choice, considering the price tag and performance figures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom