Which Brand to Select for 1TB HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
harishgayatri

harishgayatri

Broken In
@Bond,
I have considered your advice and the Problem is I have only 2 SATA ports on my Mobo.

I have an External 1TB WD Green My Book Essential Edition with me and I haven't faced any problems so far.

Well about Seagate I am pretty paranoid that I wont be touching that Brand for a While.

Hitachi as far as I have heard has had no such huge problems.

And hence Hitachi 1TB and it is also worth a Try.

Hey Life is full of Risks.:razz:

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
@ Revolution, that should be a good deal.

@harishgayatri, what I am saying is to be prepared for rainy day. It's easy to recover if you lose say, 160Gb or 250Gb HDD. But 1Tb is insanely huge amount of data to lose. It's just my opinion. anyways, WD and Hitachi HDDs now look better than Seagate's.

OP
harishgayatri

harishgayatri

Broken In
@Bond,

Well I agree with your opinion. It is true that it is insanely Large and Hard to recover when there is a mechanical failure.

No offense, We can't make people agree with our opinion all the time.

Even after Seagate had this many issues my friend insisted me to go for Seagate.

This was his opinion.

I still need you all's help in finding out whether the Hitachi model 7K1000.C is available in the market.:?:

And Thanks to all Who have been actively helping each other (including me):-D

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
^^I'll be going to SP Road tomorrow or day after tomorrow and will check the same for you. And btw, that's just my opinion. As a buyer, you take your decision by listening to multiple inputs. :)

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
I think its better to go for 2 x 500GB WD HDD's. Each will cost 2500/-

1stly the price of 2 500GB HDD's r lower than 1 1TB HDD

2ndly Its a not as risky as buying 1TB

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
^^where? I checked yesterday and 640Gb is at 3.5k and 1Tb is 4.5k.

btw, checked in Golcha and couldn't find Hitachi HDDs.

Hmm.. I myself am looking for a 1TB HDD. But its gonna be only for ONE reason - archive HUGE amount of files. I'm a photographer and after every photo-taking day trip I end up with 1/2 GB of stuff. Then there are lots and lots of movie DVDs I'm backing up in the form of ISOs. And Soon I'm gonna start archiving my old cassette tapes to FLAC files. Finally, I download distros like a maniac and want a place to store a huge number of CD and DVD iso files.

I'm considering the WD Green 1TB HDD. How is the choice ? Is it reliable for long term (I expect my HDD to last 10 years) usage ?

My OS and games would be on another HDD so the only thing I'm looking for are reliability, VFM and energy efficiency. Not performance, but hey, more performance is always cool.

Last edited:

Krow

Crowman
^For the first time, he makes some sense... :)

MHG: For storage external HDD's are better IMO.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Hmm.. I myself am looking for a 1TB HDD. But its gonna be only for ONE reason - archive HUGE amount of files. I'm a photographer and after every photo-taking day trip I end up with 1/2 GB of stuff. Then there are lots and lots of movie DVDs I'm backing up in the form of ISOs. And Soon I'm gonna start archiving my old cassette tapes to FLAC files. Finally, I download distros like a maniac and want a place to store a huge number of CD and DVD iso files.

I'm considering the WD Green 1TB HDD. How is the choice ? Is it reliable for long term (I expect my HDD to last 10 years) usage ?

My OS and games would be on another HDD so the only thing I'm looking for are reliability, VFM and energy efficiency. Not performance, but hey, more performance is always cool.

Given the sensitivity of data that you are going to store and the frequency of data writes, I would suggest WD Black for 7k!

Given the sensitivity of data that you are going to store and the frequency of data writes, I would suggest WD Black for 7k!
What's the difference ?

And I don't mind slow copy rates if Green is slower than Black.

And yeah, I would most probably be using XFS for large files, ReiserFS4 for images and EXT4 for normal files to optimize speed.
-----------------------------------------
Posted again:
Does WD Black have any security/reliability enhancements over WD Green ?

Last edited:

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
as per WD, Black has these features:

Key Features

High Performance Electronics Architecture
# Dual processor - Twice the processing power to maximize performance.
# Colossal cache - Bigger, faster cache of up to 64 MB means faster performance.
Rock Solid Mechanical Architecture
# Dual actuator technology - A head positioning system with two actuators that improves positional accuracy over the data track(s). The primary actuator provides coarse displacement using conventional electromagnetic actuator principles. The secondary actuator uses piezoelectric motion to fine tune the head positioning to a higher degree of accuracy. (2 TB only)
# StableTrac - The motor shaft is secured at both ends to reduce system-induced vibration and stabilize platters for accurate tracking, during read and write operations.
# NoTouch ramp load technology - The recording head never touches the disk media ensuring significantly less wear to the recording head and media as well as better drive protection in transit.
Massive Capacity - WD Caviar Black SATA drives are available in capacities
up to 2 TB.
Compatible - We perform tests on hundreds of systems and a multitude of platforms in our FIT Lab™ and Mobile Compatibility Lab to give our customers confidence that our drives will work in their systems.
5 Year Limited Warranty
Ideal For

Power computing applications such as multimedia, video and photo editing, and maxed out gaming computers.

How this WD hard drive protects your data

* Data Lifeguard is an exclusive set of data protection features, including shock protection, an environmental protection system and real-time embedded error detection and repair. WD's Data Lifeguard technology automatically finds, isolates, and repairs problems that may develop over the life of a hard drive.

* Data Lifeguard Tools are software utilities designed for WD hard drives that work with the embedded Data Lifeguard features to make hard drive installation,diagnostics and repair both simple and worry-free.

* ShockGuard instantaneously protects the hard drive against damage from bumps and vibrations while it is running. This technology enables WD Caviar drives to achieve industry-leading shock specifications.

^^Hmm.. OK.

But then WD Green is 4.5K compared to WD Black which is 7K, 2.5K extra. Is it worth it ?
Posted again:
^^Hmm.. OK.

But then WD Green is 4.5K compared to WD Black which is 7K, 2.5K extra. Is it worth it ?

Last edited:

max_demon

IM AS MAD AS HELL!!
i had purchased WD Green Herd it is environment friendly , so got this .

save earth , save electricity :)

WD Website said:
As hard drive capacities increase, the power required to run those drives increases as well. WD Caviar Green drives make it possible for energy-conscious customers to build systems with higher capacities and the right balance of system performance, ensured reliability, and energy conservation.

Key Features

Reduced power consumption - WD has reduced power consumption by up to 40 percent compared to standard desktop drives with the combination of WD's IntelliSeek, IntelliPark, and IntelliPower technologies.
Helps enable eco-friendly PCs - WD Caviar Green drives yield an average drive power savings of 4-5 watts over standard desktop drives making it possible for our energy-conscious customers to build systems with higher capacities and the right balance of system performance, ensured reliability, and energy conservation. This power savings equates to reducing CO2 emission by up to 13.8 kilograms per drive per year - the equivalent of taking a car off the road for 3 days each year*. By using environmentally-conscious PCs with our WD Caviar Green drives on board, large organizations with many desktop computers can minimize their carbon footprint and save real money on electricity costs.

*Assumes that a car produces 1.60 CO2 pounds per Kwatt/hours/year. Calculation of automobile emissions depends on the car's g/km emission levels and km/year of driving.
Cool and Quiet - WD GreenPower Technology yields lower operating temperatures for increased reliability and low acoustics for ultra-quiet PCs and external drives.
Perfect for external drives - External drive manufacturers can eliminate the need for a fan in a high-capacity product with a WD Caviar Green drive, the coolest and quietest in its class. External drives with WD Caviar Green drives on board can save up to $14.00 per year in electricity costs. See our power savings chart for details.
IntelliPower - A fine-tuned balance of spin speed, transfer rate and caching algorithms designed to deliver both significant power savings and solid performance. Additionally, WD Caviar Green drives consume less current during startup allowing lower peak loads on systems as they are booted.
IntelliSeek - Calculates optimum seek speeds to lower power consumption, noise and vibration. View demo >
NoTouch ramp load technology - *www.wdc.com/global/images/products/misc/av/av_ramp.jpgThe recording head never touches the disk media ensuring significantly less wear to the recording head and media as well as better drive protection in transit.
Perpendicular Magnetic Recording (PMR) - Employs PMR technology to achieve even greater areal density.
StableTrac - The motor shaft is secured at both ends to reduce system-induced vibration and stabilize platters for accurate tracking, during read and write operations. (750 GB and 1 TB only) View demo >
Ideal For

PCs, external storage, and other devices that require lower power consumption and cool, quiet operation.

only data life guard is missing. is it really needed ?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom