Where can I get UNIX from?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
S

SE><IE

Is this the HP-UX? They say its free to download. I hope I'm not at the wrong link.

What about AIX? is it free too? I couldnt find the link to download it; any links?

Can I install them normally are they for some special purpose only?

Yamaraj

The Lord of Death
HP-UX or AIX don't have any x86 versions. You're better off with Solaris x86.
I've installed it on both my desktop and ThinkPad, and it works beautifully.

I suggest that you download the "Solaris Express Community Release" from
OpenSolaris.org - *www.opensolaris.org/os/downloads/on/
Latest build is snv_48. SXCR are 'preview' version of the next official release,
Solaris 11 in this case. It has more features, drivers and new software when
compared with Solaris 10.

OP
S

SE><IE

I don't have the x86 architecture its x64 (AMD). any link to the supported hardware?

Yamaraj

The Lord of Death
SE><IE said:
I don't have the x86 architecture its x64 (AMD). any link to the supported hardware?
Here's the HCL for Solaris - *www.sun.com/bigadmin/hcl/

Besides, both HP-UX and AIX run on only bigiron RISC machines. You would need
a PA-RISC (Itanium) to run HP-UX and IBM Power machine for AIX.

OP
S

SE><IE

*ahem* my birthday was on 28th september. No one even cared to give me a birthday gift (a RISC machine) :D

mediator

Technomancer
Why dont u just give a try to Solaris and various BSDs? I'm sure Unix variants wont be free either!

OP
S

SE><IE

I tried solaris but my monitor was unable to handle it. its lights kept on blinking. I tried cingiguring at 800x600 still, the same problem. As for the BSDs, I want stability buddy. Won't be shifting frequently to other OSes. I may get a new 17" LCD. till then its windows for me. or maybe I can get someone's monitor to verify that it will run without a glitch when I get a new display

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Then just go for FreeBSD. It's not really that difficult but still it's great.
And I hope you don't mean BSD isn't a stable OS when you say you want stability.

OP
S

SE><IE

LOL, I meant I won't change my OS once fixed. Not the stability issue about BSD.

mehulved

What's wrong with the BSD's why can't you use it extensively? It's got a good large community. Huge support of apps, just behind windows and linux.
Many of linux apps are ported to FreeBSD and vice versa.
If you are scared, of just going for FreeBSD at first, just try out PC-BSD or DesktopBSD, believe me it's just superb and simple to install, though both of the latter projects lack no. of applications. But, you needn't worry about that cos you can enable FreeBSD port system, as both are based on FreeBSD and you will have huge no. of apps.
Here's a small review of my experience of using PC-BSD *forum.techspot.in/showthread.php?t=2502.

OP
S

SE><IE

basically I will need to work on UNIX servers as a part of my administartive job (once I get a job that is). Just shifting away from windows isn't what I want. Wanna implement those administrative tasks and hence was loking for UNIX. Found that it doesn't exist, even if it does it will bankrupt me.
Already tried solaris (monitor didn't work though). Is it that BSD follows the standard definition of UNIX as solaris, HP-UX, AIX do?

Will give BSD a try though. Whats the flavour that will best suit my needs?

mehulved

BSD's do follow POSIX standards, but I don't know how closely they follow Unix specifications. It really doesn't matter which OS you use for now.
Unlike in windows you can get down and dirty with any unix like OS. So, you will learn about any unix based system to a good extent.
And FreeBSD is the way to go. Or just go for PC-BSD or DesktopBSD which have been derived from FreeBSD. NetBSD and OpenBSD aren't really made for home users.
Even Solaris is good no doubt. But, I feel BSD is better. Well opinions of other members will differ.
Also there is linux which is again a POSIX compliant OS and derived from Unix so you can learn quite a few things about unix based OS'es from linux too.

Yamaraj

The Lord of Death
BSDs and Linuxen very close to being POSIX complaint. And it's true that you
can learn UNIX basics using any UNIX-like system, be it BSD, Linux or Solaris.
If you want to get into System Administration, RedHat/SUSE Linux, or Solaris
are the best choices in this country.

As far as BSD and Solaris are concerned, I'm in favor of Solaris. It's fully complaint
with both POSIX and SUSv3 specifications. It has excellent backwards compatibility
and enterprise backing. It is opensource and free for personal or commercial
use. It has many advanced features absent in competetive systems, like ZFS,
DTrace, Trusted Extentions etc. The only thing that goes against installing
Solaris on your desktop system is that it's not desktop/laptop friendly yet. And
there are no extensive software repositories as in case of Debian, Ubuntu etc.

OP
S

SE><IE

well even I'm in favour of solaris but then since i'm unable to get it working, I would like to choose the next-to-best. What about FreeBSD? does it show NTFS partitions (not as read only)? I mean in comparison to PC-BSD that tech_your_future said. I already have freeBSD in one of Digit discs.

PS: there exits a thread which talks of free discs. some site ships free discs of Ubuntu, many free books etc. Can I get the link. just was unable to find.

mehulved

I don't know about mounting ntfs as read write. But, I highly doubt if any of those OS'es will mount ntfs as read-write.
Here's some more info you'd like *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17046, *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2590, *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3061.
And see this thread *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3427 for some topics that have been covered in this section.

▀#!/usr/bin/perl

Right off the assembly line
well if u want to be a *nix admin i suggest u work ur way up from solaris, to other flavours on nix and then maybe to linux (redhat etc)
solaris is widely used in larger enterprises, larger enterprises try to stick with same vendor for OS & app combo (not always true though) Try to run it on virtual machine, try vmware.. without frying your monitor, it really help us simulate a lot of stuff and learn somthing worthwhile.. i have win2k3 AD talking to redhat samba, jboss clusters, setup NIS, HA or LoadBalanced servers etc ..

HP-UX, IRIX, AIX, SCO-UNIX, DEC etc are old and you will still find them in huge enterprises but they are dying, HPUX, Solaris, IBM AIX are the only ones which are doing better, solaris no being opensource is just a popular option. But mainly enterprises are shifting to opensource solutions, moving to linux, moving to apache from iplanet, moving from websphere -> jboss, blah blah...

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
@SE><IE, You need to do some tweaks in Solaris, then your monitor will work!!
By the way which Monitor brand you are using? Is it a 15'' or 17'' one?
You can try that. Solaris is your best option for learning UNIX.

Fixing Monitor problems in Solaris O.S Click here

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom