Where can I get UNIX from?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SE><IE

yeah! yeah! yeah! I know asking for UNIX is like asking for a V8 engine. I will get the answers saying get "Fedora core" or "Ubuntu" or any other flavour.
*Yippee!! I made ma point clear*

If anybody remmebers the it was me who was tangled in problems with Solaris 10 (the monitor came out to be the culprit and henc I dropped the idea)
basically I'm looking forward for administration on solaris and UNIX platforms and hence required some thing. I won't be running (and gunning) trying all the linux flavours. I want a stability in my already rocking life. :)

I've got a few questions:
  1. Can anybody give me a download link to UNIX?
  2. How much space will UNIX consume?
  3. Does Unix support GUI? (Read somewhere that GUI shells like KDE, GNOME, CDE etc can be installed and they aren't 'glued' i.e., you can change the shell whenever you want)

PS: Do the linux flavours also support changing the GUI shell huh!

shaunak

Tux Fan
A few links:
*www.unix.org/version3/iso_std.html
*www.unix.org/version3/online.html

you will have to buy it online.

mediator

Technomancer
Thats right, Unix is not free dear. To get it u have to contact SCO! Neways asking for unix......u must be filthy rich !!

OP
S

SE><IE

:O WHAT!!! UNIX is not Free? Any evaluation copies available? what about my other question :)

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Well if you want to try out something UNIXish for free, get some free unix like OS's. One is solaris, others that are available for free are BSD's - FreeBSD, OpenBSD and netBSD. All of them have a huge community beyond them, not as much as windows or linux but still.
*www.unix.org/version3/online.html

you will have to buy it online.
Those are Unix specifications. See this *www.computing.net/unix/wwwboard/forum/6550.html
If I am not mistaken Unix isn't produced anymore, only unix-like and unix-certified OS'es only exist now.

Last edited:
OP
S

SE><IE

If I'm not wrong, the Linux flavours also run atop UNIX.

tech_your_future said:
If I am not mistaken Unix isn't produced anymore, only unix-like and unix-certified OS'es only exist now.
What about the organizations running their database servers on UNIX? I heard this from ma bro, they've got Solaris servers, Unix servers and Windows servers (no Linux servers though)

As I said, I am looking forward for an administation job on Unix and solaris platforms. What should I consider in case Unix isn't free. I gave solaris a try but just when it was going to login to the GUI-shell, my monitor's lights started blinking, perhaps the frequency was outta range.
Anyways, lets say I get a new 17" LCD and run Solaris 10, is there any difference in solaris and UNIX. I won't be able to get my hands on a UNIX system till I get employed and I wanna delve as deep as possible till then.

Hope you go it. *worried*

PS: I googled and was unable to find the cost or a download link to UNIX

OP
S

SE><IE

@tech_geek: it talks of downloading the cars running on the V-8 engine. I was talking of the engine itself. anyways thanks for the link.

I wonder why UNIX is paid whereas OSes running on UNIX (linux, solaris) are free.

mehulved

What we see today aren't really the Unix system that was popular in 80's from which today's OS's are derived.
Mostly, OS which are used today in name of Unix are HP-UX, AIX and SGI,etc.
Maybe this thread can clear up some of your confusion *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23091

mediator

Technomancer
@Se><ie : Linux,Solaris is not Unix and neither runs on top of Unix. Linux source code is completely different from Unix. It was created by Linus Torvalds to mimic Unix.
Neways : Solaris,Various BSDs etc are Unix like distros and HP-UX etc should not be termed UNIX but they are called UNIX variants. The original Unix was created at AT and T.

Neways for the price these links will give u a little idea . It says even for universities $16K is charged!
UNIX.*stellarinfo.com/unixware-data-recovery-price.htm
*cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/who/dmr/licenses.html

For the hardisk space I guess it takes atleast 4 GB of space. Thats what I read somewhere!

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
Want Unix?, buy SCO UNIX Checkout their website *www.sco.com/ for more details.
Also you need a UNIX expert for installation & support. Believe me it will be very tough
unless you know UNIX very well!!

Last edited:

mehulved

Just start with OS'es like Linux, BSD's and Solaris for now. Once you master them go for Unix, if you can get your hands on one. I'd recommend BSD's to start with unless you are a complete n00b.

Yamaraj

The Lord of Death
UNIX now exists only as a certification for complaint systems. You need to learn
more about UNIX, POSIX, The Open Group and Single UNIX Specification.

Also note that UNIX trademark and UNIX source-code are two different things.
The Open Group is the owner of the "UNIX" trademark, and only operating systems
fully complaint and certified to "The Single UNIX Specification" qualify as UNIX.
AIX, Solaris, IRIX, HP-UX and Tru64 are licensed to use the "UNIX" trademark.
Hence, they are truly 'UNIX' operating systems. Linux and the BSDs are only UNIX-like
systems in this light.

Sun Solaris and IBM AIX are fully complaint with the UNIX03 (2003) certification standards.

1. *en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix
2. *www.opengroup.org/openbrand/register/
3. *www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/power/library/pa-spec13/?ca=dgr-wikiaUnixStandard

Last edited:
OP
S

SE><IE

mediator said:
It was created by Linus Torvalds to mimic Unix.
It was developed by Andrew.S.Tennenbaum and Linus Torvalds merely helped in writing out some code. In tennebaum's words, "...and he messed up with the code". Linus jumped on Tennebaum's head and started shouting "I created Linux in 6 months as a project". How can a newbie(student) like Linus develop an OS when a great mind of Tennenbaum took 5 years to develop minix with 16+ years of experience. I'm not being sarcastic but there a lots of rumour floating around regarding this stuff.

Hmm... so the trademark can't be used by anyone and everyone. and there is nothing like a UNIX server huh! it infact means that they are using solaris/AIX etc. Thanks for clearing up the confusion guys. Gotta think about getting a monitor now.
please don't stop providing the "gyaan" on this matter. :)

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
JGuru said:
Want Unix?, buy SCO UNIX Checkout their website *www.sco.com/ for more details.
Also you need a UNIX expert for installation & support. Believe me it will be very tough
unless you know UNIX very well!!
Update:
want UNIX , contact Microsoft coz MS is purchasing UNIX license from SCO.

Yamaraj

The Lord of Death
SE><IE said:
It was developed by Andrew.S.Tennenbaum and Linus Torvalds merely helped in writing out some code. In tennebaum's words, "...and he messed up with the code". Linus jumped on Tennebaum's head and started shouting "I created Linux in 6 months as a project". How can a newbie(student) like Linus develop an OS when a great mind of Tennenbaum took 5 years to develop minix with 16+ years of experience. I'm not being sarcastic but there a lots of rumour floating around regarding this stuff.
MINIX and Linux are/were two different projects. Linus and other developers
got ticked off because of the minimalistic policy of AST, which prevented
them from enhancing it into a full-grown UNIX-clone. AST wanted to keep
it simple and small enough to be used in OS classes in Universities.

This made Linus write his own little kernel, which was later enhanced by no
less than thousands of other developers. Linus didn't create the whole of
the Linux kernel by himself. But he retained the Linux trademark. Other parts
are the copyrights of the their respected authors.

Linus is, no doubt, a great programmer and kernel hacker. But, it was his talent
and arrogance of a stubborn college student that helped him create the
kernel that is used by more people than all other Unixen combined.

OP
S

SE><IE

I said what I read in "modern operating systems" by tanenbaum. No hard feelings.

mehulved

SE><IE said:

Hmm... so the trademark can't be used by anyone and everyone. and there is nothing like a UNIX server huh! it infact means that they are using solaris/AIX etc. Thanks for clearing up the confusion guys. Gotta think about getting a monitor now.
please don't stop providing the "gyaan" on this matter. :)
Linus has never said he alone made the Linux OS. That's just lies spread by some people. Linus has always said that he has worked on it with other people over usenet in making of Linux kernel. The GNU/Linux OS is lot more than the Linux kernel, that is trademarked in the name of Linus. It has developed on the previously existing GNU and FSF.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom