Whats wrong with my rig ? CPU @ 100 deg :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thetrueblueviking

No highs, No lows = Bose.
No gaming, no cpu intensive apps and still computer lagging even while playing 720p movies. Is it a virus ? Should I try formatting ?

And most annoying - idle temps as high as 100 deg.

I am using stock Intel cooler. Probably you re going to say - go get a after-market CPU cooler; But I think the problem is severe than that. I ve never heard about an IB idle temps going as high as 95-100 deg even with the stock coolers.

Here is a pic of cpu temp along with processes running at the same time -

*imageshack.us/a/img203/8261/capturesou.png

*imageshack.us/a/img405/8459/capture1cd.png

Last edited:
OP
Thetrueblueviking

Thetrueblueviking

Dont think BIOS is going to give cooler temperatures. I used a different software just to confirm -
It shows idle temps at 80-85 deg. Strange :(

Also checked the cpu fan - its working :(

*imageshack.us/a/img198/223/capturecy.png

mandarpalshikar

Why So Serious ???
Thats why I was asking you to go into BIOS and check in there

If even in BIOS its too high then try re-timing the cpu. Did you OC the CPU extremely for sometime recently?

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
the problem may't lie in the HSF, instead the processor may have used cheap TIM inside the heat spreader. but to be sure check if the stock HSF is tightly placed.

OP
Thetrueblueviking

Thetrueblueviking

Checked temp in BIOS - its 96 deg :(
And yes the stock fan is tightly placed as far as I remember .... will check in an hour :(

mandarpalshikar

Why So Serious ???
^^ Buy a good TIM and apply. That cheap TIM which comes with the HSF is very bad and as Sam suggested might have been used up.

OP
Thetrueblueviking

Thetrueblueviking

Hell that ll take some time.
3 things here -

1) I dont have much exp (rather zero exp) in replacing TIM - which one to buy and where ? Cost ? Any available on FK/prime ?

2) you think installing a hyper evo 212 will bring temps down to atleast 70 deg ?

3) What to do until I replace the TIM ? I mean I just cant use the PC till then with the cpu @ 100 deg :|

mandarpalshikar

Why So Serious ???
1 - Go for this - Theitdepot - Cooler Master IC-Essential E2 Thermal Compound (RG-ICE2-TA15-R1)
or - Buy Arctic Silver | Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound
2 - Yes.. it'll reduce the temps as the bundled HSF and Fan are a horror story. My 3570k runs at 32 degrees at idle in normal conditions.
3 - If you don't want to waste your 14k spent on 3570k.. yes don't run your PC till you re-TIM it.

Also please look into cable management inside your cabinet for better airflow.

Myth

Cyborg Agent
Go through this once : *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/cpu-motherboards/142397-cpu-cooler-guide-sandy-ivy-bridge-cpus.html

Arctic Silver is electrically conductive. Take the CM.

Shutdown system and go out enjoy the world until tim arrives.

OP
Thetrueblueviking

Thetrueblueviking

I opened up my case and found out a few astonishing things - the case wire that was supposed to be placed on the cpu for monitoring temp had melted and wasnt allowing the stock cooler to work to its effect.
And I found some sky blue colored substance on the processor and the stock cooler. I just took out the proc and cleaned its outer surface and let it cool. Also, as Sam mentioned, the stock cooler wasn't perfectly fit. As for now, the temps have gone down by ~ 35 deg and avg temp is ~ 65 deg. Thanks everyone. Hope it stays that way.

Will post pics soon.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
^^ Buy a good TIM and apply. That cheap TIM which comes with the HSF is very bad and as Sam suggested might have been used up.

i was talking about the TIM inside the processor. or between the die and the heat spreader.

*www.legitreviews.com/images/reviews/1924/ivb-thermal-paste.jpg

link

OP
Thetrueblueviking

Thetrueblueviking

This is after clearing 60% of that thing (realized a bit late that I should take pics :p)

*imageshack.us/a/img189/2241/20121214135155.jpg

*imageshack.us/a/img571/4695/20121214135315.jpg

After cleaning some of it with my hand - I realized a cloth would be better -

*imageshack.us/a/img838/6393/20121214135021.jpg

The wire with the censor melted -

*imageshack.us/a/img21/5977/20121214135211.jpg

Current stats -

*imageshack.us/a/img689/7184/captureovl.png

CLOSE THE THREAD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom