What to do after BCA, MCA or MSc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vaibhav.Kanwal

Self Confessed Geek
Hi

Presently I'm in 2nd year doing BCA (4th Sem) from GGSIP university. I'm wondering what to do after my graduation? I'm keen on pursuing higher studies in Computer Science, as far as my interests go, I like developing applications in VB and Java, I dont know .Net yet so maybe after I learn it...

I made the "My Digit Archive" *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107462 recently and I also maintain my blog at *www.callingallgeeks.org

Allright, so I'm really confused as MCA is of 3 years and that's a real long time. I don't wish to go abroad so that option is out. I am not aware of any institute offering MS in India. Is there any? How about MSc in Computer Applications? Symbiosis Pune offers a course of 2 years duration.

I wish to know which course will suit me best, with regards to enhancing my future career prospects. MCA is like what most people opt after BCA but another 3 years studying almost the same syllabus of BCA puts me off!

And yeah, I'm a Science student as I had Science in 11th and 12th. Before anyone asks, I didn't do engineering as my PCM sucked. I'm good with things like DS, SE, Java, HTML etc rather than probability and Binomial theorem.

I hope you guys will help me make an informed decision.

Last edited:
OP
V

vaibhav.Kanwal

Self Confessed Geek
Never do MCA waste of time , but wen it comes to marriage time MCA is very prideful ..

Guys, lets not divert from the topic. After BCA , MCA is what most people do. Its respected and a good course no doubt but is it worth spending 3 years in MCA compared to just 2years in Msc Computer Science?

What are the job prospects of both?

damngoodman999

damnbadman666
Guys, lets not divert from the topic. After BCA , MCA is what most people do. Its respected and a good course no doubt but is it worth spending 3 years in MCA compared to just 2years in Msc Computer Science?

What are the job prospects of both?

Dude , MCA is gr8 course , but if u join in the good college which they do 100% placement then no problem at all - u can proceed but now situation of the IT is @ funeral so think twice before joining , cause i tell u now i am suffering lot

OP
V

vaibhav.Kanwal

Self Confessed Geek
situation of the IT is @ funeral so think twice before joining , cause i tell u now i am suffering lot

At present yes, but after 3 years when I complete my MCA I'm sure things will get back on track. For some reason, if I don't go with MCA what else do you suggest? MBA is out, I'm not interested in marketing.

damngoodman999

damnbadman666
No MCA looks to be same as B.tech IT papers , but some papers & syllabus looks complicated than B.tech .

No MBA no no , cause MCA is now lot better than MBA , MBA students getting placed only in the marketing & associates so MCA so prideful

No MCA looks to be same as B.tech IT papers , but some papers & syllabus looks complicated than B.tech .

No MBA no no , cause MCA is now lot better than MBA , MBA students getting placed only in the marketing & associates so MCA so prideful
Thats why I am taking up a BE/B.Tech in IT/CS/IS/SE (the 4 names ppl call the same course simply to increase no. of available seats).

Don't want to waste 2 years. But a friend of mine has no choice but to do BCA/MCA since he is getting a crappy collage for BE. So he hopes to slog for 3 years in BCA and get high marks to do MCA from a reputed institute.

OP
V

vaibhav.Kanwal

Self Confessed Geek
Don't want to waste 2 years. But a friend of mine has no choice but to do BCA/MCA since he is getting a crappy collage for BE. So he hopes to slog for 3 years in BCA and get high marks to do MCA from a reputed institute.

Well, I'm doing the same thing as your friend!
I didnt have the aptitude for PCM so I chose BCA from IP university. So, next is MCA. Actually, the papers are same as those of B.tech CSE/IT. Infact, I have got Economics, Accounts also in BCA!

In all, MCA is a done deal for me now that its my third year but seriously speaking I hate the thought of higher studies for another 3 years.

Coming back to the point of this thread, what about Msc Computer Science? Its 2 years.

sujitm

Broken In
MCA is good. Companies consider MCA equivalent to BE. Initial package offered to MCA/BE is the same. So BE guys have a major adv there.
All big companies like Infy, TCS, TechM, etc recruit MCA. Campus selection is also there, although it depends on the college placement committee.

So ahead with MCA instead of MSc

Baker

Albicelestes
hi vaibhav

i passed out MCA in 2004-2007 and am working in a MNC in bangalore..

MCA is ofcourse a good course.. never go for Msc because BE/MCA comes in the same league not Msc

and for job
1:try to get a admission a college that has good placement record
2:and be good in aptitide and good knowledge in C

these are the prime expectation from a fresher , companies are not expecting any hifi techichal skills from u [ though some companies are there ].

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom