What to do after 12th CBSE [Bad Result]

Vote after reading the post

• Total voters

ramesh123

Right off the assembly line
Hi folks,
I'm pretty much sure that I'm gonna get ~68% in CBSE Boards (12th). I'm a PCM idiot. (Physical Edu.). I'm interested in going for B.Tech(With Hons.) - M.Tech (Dual Degree) [5 Years] [CS] but most universities need the one to score higher than 80% in qualifying exams.

What should I do now?

1 ) Put another year in 12th to improve result

2 ) Move on and join some university as 12th's result doesn't matter later on but I don't think I can end up in any reputed university.

Thanks,
ramesh123

hitesh

In the zone
Where do you live ?
Have you given any entrance exam ?
I had a similar boards result, but entrance exams saved me.

OP
R

ramesh123

Where do you live ?
Have you given any entrance exam ?
I had a similar boards result, but entrance exams saved me.
Rajasthan.
Got less than the cut-off in JEE Mains.
Tagging
[MENTION=86068]dashing.sujay[/MENTION] [MENTION=88006]sam[/MENTION]

Last edited:

Superayush

Tech lover
Hi folks,
I'm pretty much sure that I'm gonna get ~68% in CBSE Boards (12th). I'm a PCM idiot. (Physical Edu.). I'm interested in going for B.Tech(With Hons.) - M.Tech (Dual Degree) [5 Years] [CS] but most universities need the one to score higher than 80% in qualifying exams.

What should I do now?

1 ) Put another year in 12th to improve result

2 ) Move on and join some university as 12th's result doesn't matter later on but I don't think I can end up in any reputed university.

Thanks,
ramesh123

Bro I also missed jee mains cut off I wish to do b.tech CS though board expecting like 94% but I don't think it will help me with entrance to engg colleges in india atleast...

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Drop would be my choice if you're ready to study hard to improve in whatever you are lacking now.
I must remind you that studying things again in drop year is pretty boring, so choose this option if you're utterly sure about yourself.

Last but not least if you get a good college, that has got it's own plus points which you will come to know at the time of placements.

And if anybody says you that drop year will be questioned ahead, show him middle finger!

Nerevarine

Incarnate
I think there is also an option to give supplementary CBSE 12th boards which will increase your percentage
You get a new certificate.. One of my friend did it and raised his percentage by 8 %
You might wanna ask someone how to register for it though...

OP
R

ramesh123

Drop would be my choice if you're ready to study hard to improve in whatever you are lacking now.
I must remind you that studying things again in drop year is pretty boring, so choose this option if you're utterly sure about yourself.
To be honest, I don't know about 70% of what is in 12th Course (in PCM ). I shouldn't have taken it so lightly :(

PS- I'm 16 now. So taking a drop won't affect my career much imo

AcceleratorX

Youngling
Try for something like this. The 5 year MSc courses generally do not have the 80% cutoff criterion.

*www.mu.ac.in/science/cs/

As far as job goes, it won't make a huge difference whether you are an MSc, MCA or M.Tech. The 5 year integrated MSc courses are generally better structured than a lot of M.Tech programs anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

dashing.sujay said:
And if anybody says you that drop year will be questioned ahead, show him middle finger!

I think dropping a year just to get a B.Tech degree is a pretty bad idea, when in five years you can get an MSc or MCA anyway (especially in computer science - it is more understandable if it was a mechanical engineering degree one was aspiring for). No one will question it, but at the end of the day, your success (or failure) will cause someone else to take a drop, creating more and more problems for future generations.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
To be honest, I don't know about 70% of what is in 12th Course (in PCM ). I shouldn't have taken it so lightly :(

Well, it won't matter much that how much of PCM do you know except for first year, but still the better you know your basics, the better it will help you ahead.

And yeah age is on your side.

I think dropping a year just to get a B.Tech degree is a pretty bad idea, when in five years you can get an MSc or MCA anyway (especially in computer science - it is more understandable if it was a mechanical engineering degree one was aspiring for). No one will question it, but at the end of the day, your success (or failure) will cause someone else to take a drop, creating more and more problems for future generations.

Not in India, at least.

If you're getting a good college, that has lot and lots of plus points over studying in a normal college hoping to hone your skills by self. Even if one is intelligent enough to do so, he might be ahead in looong run, but that is a far reach possibility which has hardly got any edge over a premium college benefits, which has the best chances to push one's career through a good jump start.

If the above situation wouldn't have been there, I would not have supported drop.

AcceleratorX

Youngling
^You're basically saying college name takes precedence over personal skill levels. Which basically implies there is no meritocracy in India. It's not entirely true, but it's one reason why I support a total ban on campus placements. Doing that will change the balance of "good" colleges a lot in this country. Several are running solely on the strength of their placement when their actual academics are barely worth anything (I won't take names here).

But, see....for computer science --->Integrated MSc/MCA/Bachelor's + MSc/MCA in a good college/university is still better than BE/B.Tech in average college/university. In the end there is hardly a placement or career difference (what's 2-3 thousand bucks worth anyway?) - but you save an entire year that can be well compensated in your actual career lifetime. To drop to get a B.Tech and HOPE for a good placement (note: Nowadays B.Techs simply aren't getting the advantage anymore because we have too many computer science grads!) would be detrimental to your future career.

In the big picture I don't see it making a difference. Short term, yes a B.Tech will help - but you want a good life or to start like a rocketpack, get married ASAP and then watch all the fun rot away?

It's different when one aspires to do a mechanical engineering (or other branch) degree - no other degree will provide equivalent knowledge. That's not the case with IT/Computer Science. I can support a drop when someone is hell bent on doing ECE engineering, because there aren't alternatives. But with computers, there are many alternatives.

OP
R

ramesh123

Just need to know one thing now.
Does the stuff they teach in B.Tech I year directly needs the perfection of the concepts of 12th?
I know the basics. If they only need the one with basics to continue in B.Tech. I don't see a valid reason in repeating..

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
Just need to know one thing now.
Does the stuff they teach in B.Tech I year directly needs the perfection of the concepts of 12th?
I know the basics. If they only need the one with basics to continue in B.Tech. I don't see a valid reason in repeating..

basics are more than enough. most of the things will be just new. just have a look at the syllabus.

AcceleratorX

Youngling
ramesh123 said:

B.Tech has a heavy maths component and it will directly build off what was learnt in 12th. You have to be at least average in your 12th concepts if you want to continue in B.Tech. The first year will have a direct relationship to 12th. After that things will become very different. So if you can put some extra effort for the first year, go for B.Tech :)

Things will get easier after the first year, so don't fret it.

Minion

Conversation Architect

Please don't drop, It will spoil your career and there are better proffession other than engineering for e.g you can do BBA ,MBA etc.Lots of engineers are roaming without any job.

- - - Updated - - -

B.Tech has a heavy maths component and it will directly build off what was learnt in 12th. You have to be at least average in your 12th concepts if you want to continue in B.Tech. The first year will have a direct relationship to 12th. After that things will become very different. So if you can put some extra effort for the first year, go for B.Tech :)

Things will get easier after the first year, so don't fret it.

Maths in B.Tech are pretty easy so not an issue but other subjects like Thermodynamic,Mechanics,AI may be a problem for him.

AcceleratorX

Youngling
Minion said:
Maths in B.Tech are pretty easy so not an issue but other subjects like Thermodynamic,Mechanics,AI may be a problem for him.

Thermodynamics, Mechanics, AI is all basically just maths (with physical limitations) anyway, so if your maths is good, you'll do fine in these subjects (at least enough to pass). :)

Last edited:

Binoy J

I'm doing B.Tech in CS and I feel engineering is easier than 12th standard. Its actually very easy to pass, but difficult to score high marks. About repeating, it's all upto you. I mean if you think you can really work hard, then go for it.

Thermodynamics, Mechanics, AI is all basically just maths (with physical limitations) anyway, so if your maths is good, you'll do fine in these subjects (at least enough to pass).

Totally agree with you, all you need is a base in mathematics. :)

Top Bottom