what to burn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iinfi

mekalodu
i downloaded gentoo live CD form gentoo website.
now there are 4 files in my HDD

sud i burn all 4 files to the cd? sud i select burn image to disk?

*img455.imageshack.us/img455/1107/gentoo1or.th.jpg

OP
iinfi

iinfi

mekalodu
u mean the first file in the list rite?
ok thanks 4 ur help...but what are the other files??

and can u plz tell me how this live CD runs? do i have to keep the CD in the CD drive all thru the session i use Linux? do i need to keep a separate partition in the HDD for this live CD to copy files into for it to run?

naveenchandran

In the zone
Yes... I don't think you can remove it will in session...

NO Seperate Partition is required on HDD.

If you want to know abt live cd's and how they work check out the link below..
*www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/free_issues/issue_01/live_cds/

Just Push in the Live CD on drive and boot thru it.. :)

OP
iinfi

iinfi

mekalodu
after burned the ISO in a CD gentoo loads on restarting the PC and gives successfully loaded message and then a screen with vertical stripes violet and pink appears and thats it.

i tried changing the screen resolution at the start when the CD runs but no use!! :(

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
DId u check the md5 sum of the downloaded iso before burning? Or if yuo still have the iso check it's md5sum, if it is correct. The iso or the cd might be corrupt.
There are md5sum tools available for windows, you can check the md5sum of the cd and see if it matches with the iso.

OP
iinfi

iinfi

mekalodu
I:\x86-livecd-2006.0>md5sum.exe --check livecd-i686-installer-2006.0.iso
md5sum.exe: livecd-i686-installer-2006.0.iso: no properly formatted MD5 checksum
lines found

I:\x86-livecd-2006.0>md5sum.exe livecd-i686-installer-2006.0.iso
5ceb2ed4041bad12b9e4feceede86b6f *livecd-i686-installer-2006.0.iso

OP
iinfi

iinfi

mekalodu
I:\x86-livecd-2006.0>md5sum.exe --check livecd-i686-installer-2006.0.iso
md5sum.exe: livecd-i686-installer-2006.0.iso: no properly formatted MD5 checksum
lines found

I:\x86-livecd-2006.0>md5sum.exe livecd-i686-installer-2006.0.iso
5ceb2ed4041bad12b9e4feceede86b6f *livecd-i686-installer-2006.0.iso

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Can you explain a bit better about what is what exactly. It is difficult for me to make sense. But there seems to be a problem with one badly formatted md5sum as u can see.

eddie

El mooooo
The LiveCD is not detecting your graphics hardware properly because of which it is unable to start X server for you. Try pressing ctrl+alt+f1 when you see those stripes. You should be able to fall back on console, from where you can perform a command line installation.

As far as md5sum of ISO is concerned, it looks fine. The badly formatted part was shown because of the wrong option given to the command.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom