What the **** is going on with BSNL BB?

Hmm. I suspected that one of the trans-oceanic cables might have been ****ed. Only Indian sites and Google & its sister sites are opening at proper speeds. Since Mario confirmed it happened a day ago then my problem is definitely due to that. The rest of you might have been also trolled by BSNL prior. The Internet problems prior to this incident might have been the result of international cable issues as well. Please check sentences in red below for info.

NOTE: Facebook is loading at 4-5kbps...just like sites hosted abroad. So I guess no localization for me.

EDIT:

BBC-UK said:
Egypt arrests as undersea internet cable cut off Alexandria

Egyptian authorities say they have arrested three divers trying to cut through an undersea internet cable.

The men were caught on a fishing boat just off the port city of Alexandria, said military spokesman Col Ahmed Mohammed Ali.

The damaged cable caused a drop in the speed of online services in Egypt and some other countries, said Egyptian news agency Mena.

It was unclear whether the incident was linked to cables damaged last Friday.

At the time, cable operator Seacom said several lines connecting Europe with Africa, the Middle East and Asia were hit, also slowing down internet services, reported Reuters news agency.

The cable hit in Wednesday's apparent sabotage was the South East Asia Middle East Western Europe 4 (SEA-ME-WE 4) - one of the main cables snaking under the Mediterranean, Mena said.

The attack took place some 750m (820 yards) north of Alexandria, it said.

In the statement on his official Facebook page, Col Ali said the divers were arrested while "cutting the undersea cable" of the main telecommunications company, Telecom Egypt.

He did not give any explanation for the divers' alleged motive.

The men were due to be interrogated.

Mediterranean telecoms cables have suffered disruptions several times in recent years, but they have usually been attributed to accidents involving ship propellers.

EDIT:

GigaOM said:
Undersea cable cut near Egypt slows down Internet in Africa, Middle East, South Asia

It is like Groundhog Day! Once again an undersea cable has been cut — the South East Asia-Middle East-Western Europe 4 (aka SEA-ME-WE 4) cable and that is causing an internet (and communications) slowdown in and around Africa, the Middle East and parts of Asia. The cut was said to be near Alexandria in Egypt. Tata Communications – previously Videsh Sanchar Nigam Limited India – administers the network.

While the cut was on a single cable, it came at an unfortunate time as a few other major cables were in “maintenance mode” and that has resulted in problems for service providers across the region. Our sources in the telecom community confirmed that two other cables — Europe India Gateway (EIG) and India-Middle East-Western Europe (IMEWE) — were in ‘maintenance’ mode when the SWM4 got cut. The result is downstream congestion on networks that are going to India and around the Indian Ocean. UAE’s Etisalat reported that the internet speeds were down by as much as 60 percent in some locations.

Sunil Tagare, who runs the BuySellBandwidth.com, on his blog wrote, "It’s not good enough to say since you have 10 cables even if going through Egypt, you have route diversity. And as today’s 4 cable cuts have demonstrated, any time the cables are along similar paths, there is a high likelihood that all of them might be cut at the same time."

He was arguing that four major cables — I-Me-We, Sea-Me-We-4, EIG and TE North – were impacted at the same time and thus causing problems in the Middle East and Asia. It is not a smart way to think about the networks, especially since we depend so heavily on many of these optical cables. Tagare’s argument makes sense to me, for we have seen this pattern repeat itself a few times. As I wrote earlier, there are three major cables that connect Europe and Middle East – SeaMeWe-3, SeaMeWe-4 and FLAG Euro-Asia — and they follow the same path underneath the Mediterranean Sea, making them vulnerable to cuts.

In 2010, the SEA-ME-WE-4 experienced a cut causing large scale disruptions, two years after the cable experienced an outage. Things have become more acute now considering that SEA-ME-WE4 is a lifeline for the African internet.

SEACOM, an African consortium which owns the big African Internet cable, later confirmed the outage on its website and said that it was working towards restoration. SEACOM had already been experiencing problems since March 24 and was in the middle of fixing those before it was hit by the cable cut.

Mark Simpson, CEO of SEACOM, said in a press note, "The cause of the outage is a physical cable cut some kilometres north of the coast of Egypt in the Mediterranean Sea. This is not likely to be known until the cable is repaired in the coming week or two and the damaged section is recovered from the seabed and inspected. However we suspect, based on our experience with sub-sea systems and the nature of the sea area where the cut has occurred, that the most likely cause is external aggression to the cable most probably caused by a larger vessel dragging its anchor across the sea bed. Unfortunately this remains a common cause of damage to cable systems globally, despite our continued efforts to protect the cable with armour, burying, notifications to ships of cable location and exclusion zones."

By the way, SEAMEWE-3 experienced a cut about two months ago (between Singapore and Perth, Australia) and it hasn’t been fixed just yet mostly because the network operator was waiting for Indonesian government permission to fix the cable which is in Indonesian waters.

Last edited:

Mario

Ambassador of Buzz
EDIT:
Originally Posted by BBC-UK

Mediterranean telecoms cables have suffered disruptions several times in recent years, but they have usually been attributed to accidents involving ship propellers.

EDIT:

Lol...ship propellers?? :lol: If propellers could cut a cable running on the seabed, I did say the ship was sinking with its engine running!

EDIT:

Quote Originally Posted by GigaOM

However we suspect, based on our experience with sub-sea systems and the nature of the sea area where the cut has occurred, that the most likely cause is external aggression to the cable most probably caused by a larger vessel dragging its anchor across the sea bed. Unfortunately this remains a common cause of damage to cable systems globally, despite our continued efforts to protect the cable with armour, burying, notifications to ships of cable location and exclusion zones."

EDIT:

More likely.

Anyway, thanks for detailed info, Gaurav. Looks like we are set to continue this way till 15th April. Unless, of course, BSNL reveals it was all a trick to fool us, on 1st April. :p

This is old news.. and might have been posted elsewhere on the forums... but I'm bumping it anyway. I agree with sygeek and itehappy... we need to file a major-ass petition.... I mean a nationwide-scaled one.... anything to shake those dumb mother****ers out of their trance.... can we do that? Facebook, Twitter?? Anyone? We have the power. Let's do this. Read the post below.... and your blood will boil.... let's do it.

TE said:
India lagging in internet revolution: Eric Schmidt

Google chairman Eric Schmidt has warned that India is lagging badly behind in harnessing the power of the internet because of its failure to invest in high-speed telecom networks.

"It is well behind in the web services model that the rest of the world is adopting," Schmidt told the CNBC-TV18 television channel late Wednesday during a trip to India.

"It is crucial for India to invest and enable fast fibre internet connectivity within the country, between the country and the other countries," he added.

When asked to explain why only 150 million out of 1.2 billion Indians had access to the internet, he said that the government had perhaps grown complacent due to the country's success in producing large software and IT companies.

"My guess would be that having been satisfied with the great success of IT, the Indian government and the leadership has made the same mistake that companies do, they rested on their own laurels," he said.

Experts say India has enjoyed a telecom revolution that has brought cheap mobile phones to the majority of the country, but fast internet connections remain limited to a small minority in cities.

As well as being slow in rolling out fibre-optic networks, internet entrepreneurs also complain that an uncertain regulatory environment has hampered the development of internet businesses, experts say.

Schmidt is in New Delhi for the first Google Big Tent event to be held in India, a forum that brings together policymakers and internet experts.

Looks like pings are back to worse again (228ms to 8.8.8.8) .... man those BSNL f**kers do this s**t EVERYDAY.... can't play online .... can't stream s**t... can't do squat.... fuccccccccccccccccccccccccccccckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk..... :x :x :x :x :pullhair: :pullhair: :banghead: :banghead:

On top of that some motherf**kers went and cut off the trans-continental cables.... and on top of that... yesterday also witnessed the biggest cyber-attack in the history in Internet.... global data-rate slowdown.... I wonder if those two incidents are related... sure seem to have come at a brilliant f**king moment of time.... :x

hari1

In the zone
So this is a nation wide problem!:pullhair::punch::flamethrower: And I thought only I was being trolled by bSNL since last 2-3 days with extremely slow speeds. Only google and some other sites are working at full speed. Does anybody know any trick to browse the web using servers of google? I tried browsing with google translate and even the cache stored in google servers but it does not work.:cry:

theserpent

Firecracker to the moon
err guys
World's biggest DDoS attack blamed for slowing down global Internet speeds - Internet | ThinkDigit News

Arnab

Scattered in Quantum
This is old news.. and might have been posted elsewhere on the forums... but I'm bumping it anyway. I agree with sygeek and itehappy... we need to file a major-ass petition.... I mean a nationwide-scaled one.... anything to shake those dumb mother****ers out of their trance.... can we do that? Facebook, Twitter?? Anyone? We have the power. Let's do this. Read the post below.... and your blood will boil.... let's do it.

Looks like pings are back to worse again (228ms to 8.8.8.8) .... man those BSNL f**kers do this s**t EVERYDAY.... can't play online .... can't stream s**t... can't do squat.... fuccccccccccccccccccccccccccccckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk kk.....

On top of that some motherf**kers went and cut off the trans-continental cables.... and on top of that... yesterday also witnessed the biggest cyber-attack in the history in Internet.... global data-rate slowdown.... I wonder if those two incidents are related... sure seem to have come at a brilliant f**king moment of time....

God Man, we really cant take this SHITY things any more. We should do something vey first if something doesnt come up asap.
CANT Play ONLINE GAMES, CAnt Stram , Its ALWAYS CANT CANT and CANT........ I am fedup finding up solution. I am struglling for last 1 week , speeed is down , Pings are down , Connection probs bla bla bla...

So, you are right Gaurav, Lets Start Fiquring ut something. SOmething that will make a National -- Wide Impact.

Allu Azad

Time Ruins Everything
The % of Broadband users in India is really low . I guess majority of them are really happy that they get even 256kbps .

Nation-wide impact ? - Chances are low .

pratyush997

Inactive
Looks like pings are back to worse again (228ms to 8.8.8.8) .... man those BSNL f**kers do this s**t EVERYDAY.... can't play online .... can't stream s**t... can't do squat.... fuccccccccccccccccccccccccccccckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk..... :x :x :x :x :pullhair: :pullhair: :banghead: :banghead:

On top of that some motherf**kers went and cut off the trans-continental cables.... and on top of that... yesterday also witnessed the biggest cyber-attack in the history in Internet.... global data-rate slowdown.... I wonder if those two incidents are related... sure seem to have come at a brilliant f**king moment of time.... :x

Lol truedat

papul1993

not a newbie.....
The % of Broadband users in India is really low . I guess majority of them are really happy that they get even 256kbps .

Nation-wide impact ? - Chances are low .

99% of my friends are on 2G. And they don't even complain about its speed.

OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Yeah, whatever, under sea cable cut, hack ****, and all, these are not 'natural disasters'. Had it been an earthquake or Tsunami, I'd not blame anyone. So **** that.
And welcome to Day 19.

CommanderShawnzer

Steam High Templar
:confused: assuming this "cable-cut" thing is the problem,shouldn't this problem be nation wide? how are only BSNL people suffering from this?
i'm getting normal 512kbps Upstream/downstream speed
*www.speedtest.net/result/2605787592.png
I feel BSNL is trolling you guys,not the undersea cables

papul1993

not a newbie.....
A friend with airtel broadband told me that he is having problems too. However people with local isp have no problems at all.

Mario

Ambassador of Buzz
:confused: assuming this "cable-cut" thing is the problem,shouldn't this problem be nation wide? how are only BSNL people suffering from this?
i'm getting normal 512kbps Upstream/downstream speed
*www.speedtest.net/result/2605787592.png
I feel BSNL is trolling you guys,not the undersea cables

No, its not only BSNL folks who are suffering. See, there are always alternate paths to route data -

When such main links go down, traffic is re-routed through alternate "thinner" lanes - you get high latency, frequent/random disconnects, limited load-bearing but at least you get connectivity. Which is why the "IT business" keeps going, despite issues. Which is why the corporates, the "big money" do not complain that much. Had it really started affecting their bottom-line, you would have seen the "hungama". I am not saying it does not affect them, I am saying it does but not at the same level that it does with us.

Now, your ISP might be have tie-ups with re-router entities or might be handling the cable (alternate/main) itself - in which case, THANK YOUR STARS, since you hardly even become aware that there is an issue. Some other ISP might have alternate bandwidth for disasters like this - but, ask yourself, who are they gonna provide it to? You, who pays 12*800 = 9600 per year for a lousy FUP 1 mbps connection or to AccenizantproBM (imaginary IT company), who pays in lakhs, is a "preferred" customer, will give the ISP more contracts when they open a new center, etc. etc.?

Then again, there are those alternate paths, which are cost-effective only with big companies (satellite signal bouncing comes to mind) - now I don't know about you but I cannot afford an alternate contract where BSNL gives me 1mbps FUP for 800 bucks a month and in disaster scenarios sends me bill of 1 lakh for 50 hours of sat. usage :p

Last edited:

sygeek

Technomancer
Well, I would've not complained about this "disaster" if this wasn't the case with BSNL almost every day of the year.

Mario

Ambassador of Buzz
One request to everyone - if anyone is going to any BSNL office, nobody, repeat, nobody talk about the undersea cable cut - if those noobs have heard of it or hear of it, they will immediately shift all blame to this and wash their hands off! Yeah, but then again, one of those noobs may have already read it in the newspapers.

OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot
@Sygeek: Well tbh, on normal times, I haven't had faced problems all day, but only on weekends, Sat and Sun. Mon to Fri the connection works 'pretty much' fine.

@Mario: Best of luck to you for going to BSNL office in advance. The last time I went to their office was to pay out land line bill, some years back. I will NEVER go to their office, I hate to see their faces, I really mean it.

Top Bottom