What Lord Macaulay Said About India In 1835 - Every Indian Should Read This

soyab0007

In the zone
Lord Macaulay said the following about India in 1835 in British Parliament.

"I have traveled across the length and breadth of India and I have not seen one person who is a beggar, who is a thief. Such wealth I have seen in this country, such high moral values, people of such calibre, that I do not think we would ever conquer this country, unless we break the very backbone of this nation, which is her spiritual and cultural heritage, and, therefore, I propose that we replace her old and ancient education system, her culture, for if the Indians think that all that is foreign and English is good and greater than their own, they will lose their self-esteem, their native self-culture and they will become what we want them, a truly dominated nation."

srkmish

Ambassador of Buzz
Correct. Its time to stop taking pride in something some strangers did 200 years ago and claim their victory as ours

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
this one I saw in Facebook (many users have shared this)
but this line "I have traveled across the length and breadth of India and I have not seen one person who is a beggar, who is a thief. Such wealth I have seen in this country"

i don't agree now in 2013 :-x

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Its fake BTW.

» Clearing the dust off Macaulay’s “famous quote” . || Satyameva Jayate ||
and
*koenraadelst.bharatvani.org/articles/hinduism/macaulay.html

Bummer!

Here's the real speech : *www.fordham.edu/halsall/mod/1833macaulay-india.asp

PS: Kindly refrain from posting Facebook material on TDF please.

Last edited:

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
one difference between British Raj and current system is that they at least took the responsibility of governing such a large landmass and so many people seriously.... something we balk at
think we will have post colonial hangover forever, after even another 500 years we will continue to blame the Raj for our current problems

ps... we are not unique in any way, this is a map of all countries the British have invaded
*i.imgur.com/uUQYQJe.jpg

sujoyp

Grand Master
I still think if money do not go to corrupt hands our India can easily become most wealthy nation ...if politicians can stop these Rs.100,000,00,00,000 ghaplas ...its hundred thousand crore only ...not a big amount

and regarding english...if we follow the path of germany or china then we loose the huge advantage of knowledge power and IT outsourcing ...it may be good for future although.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I still think if money do not go to corrupt hands our India can easily become most wealthy nation ...if politicians can stop these Rs.100,000,00,00,000 ghaplas ...its hundred thousand crore only ...not a big amount

and regarding english...if we follow the path of germany or china then we loose the huge advantage of knowledge power and IT outsourcing ...it may be good for future although.

Competition with China and Russia is gradually increasing w.r.t. IT outsourcing. Not to mention the US of A is trying to cut down on all outsourcing.

Hrishi

Competition with China and Russia is gradually increasing w.r.t. IT outsourcing. Not to mention the US of A is trying to cut down on all outsourcing.

No doubt with that , that is quite imminent . What our country needs is something we can depend upon.There are lots of IT professionals in our country who rely on Outsourced IT & Business jobs.
With some stricter laws implemented in US , or outsourcing being driven away , we are definitely going to have crisis in the country for people in the IT & BPO sector.

It's high time our government learns this and do something concrete to become self-dependent on our own economy. How long can we live in the fear of loosing our jobs , influenced from foreign policies and changes.?

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor

What knowledge power are you talking about? Most of our graduates are not directly employable.

Ronnie11

Judgement Time!!
Lord Macaulay said the following about India in 1835 in British Parliament.

"I have traveled across the length and breadth of India and I have not seen one person who is a beggar, who is a thief. Such wealth I have seen in this country, such high moral values, people of such calibre, that I do not think we would ever conquer this country, unless we break the very backbone of this nation, which is her spiritual and cultural heritage, and, therefore, I propose that we replace her old and ancient education system, her culture, for if the Indians think that all that is foreign and English is good and greater than their own, they will lose their self-esteem, their native self-culture and they will become what we want them, a truly dominated nation."

This thing has been circulating online and on whatsapp for a year now..its totally fake and taken out of context...

Edit:- Looks like DeSmOnD dAvId mentioned it before..my apologies..should have read the whole thread...

Zangetsu

similar to this fake one..
somebody also shared in FB about Bapu that he used to sleep with girls etc etc (u all must have seen that)

Note: Bapu = Mahatama Gandhi

Ronnie11

Judgement Time!!
similar to this fake one..
somebody also shared in FB about Bapu that he used to sleep with girls etc etc (u all must have seen that)

Note: Bapu = Mahatama Gandhi

LOL yeah i remember that one..it was all over fb..hilarious though how people come up with such stories..

Zangetsu

LOL yeah i remember that one..it was all over fb..hilarious though how people come up with such stories..

i guess haters come up with such stories...

There's no need for a note.
You added the note to diffentiate from Asaram bapu? or Amul baby a.k.a pappu..
No not Asaram and people don't call him 'Bapu'
the only known personality is M.K Gandhi a.k.a Bapu
and i don't know pappu but it suits your current avatar :mrgreen:

Top Bottom