What is the Best Way to Apply Thermal Compound?

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hardware Secrets have tested various methods of applying thermal paste on CPU and tested for their temps. In the end, they confirm what we probably know for quite some time - a small/tiny dot at the middle of the CPU is the most efficient way to get good thermals, no need to spread it all around.

Link:

What is the Best Way to Apply Thermal Compound? | Hardware Secrets

vwad

In the zone
Interesting, Is it needed to apply the paste even if you are using pro after market coolers ? :)

OP
Skud

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Actually if you are using an aftermarket cooler you have to apply the thermal paste. Stock coolers generally have them pre-applied so no need to apply thermal paste there unless you want better thermals. Aftermarket coolers generally don't come with thermal paste pre-applied.

mukherjee

Treatment in progress...
Sheesh...I was thinking of using the spread method when my Noctua arrives..with the TX4...now what to do? :unsure: :blink:

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Cause the two metallic surfaces can never be 100% integral in docking. There would be air gaps, which would hinder thermal transfer. The TIM facilitates 100% mating of the two surfaces.

OP
Skud

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
And the heat spreader of the CPU is exactly flat, its a bit conclave. So gaps would be there with the heatsink. TIM is thus an absolute necessity.

@mukherjee: I have seen just a small drop is enough to get good, stable thermals. Now the choice is yours.

tkin

Back to school!!
People, watch these videos to understand TIM spreading properly, so follow the method that best suites your tim type.

[YOUTUBE]EyXLu1Ms-q4[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]ffK7L0Qj13Q[/YOUTUBE]

Rajesh345

Youngling
Hardware Secrets have tested various methods of applying thermal paste on CPU and tested for their temps. In the end, they confirm what we probably know for quite some time - a small/tiny dot at the middle of the CPU is the most efficient way to get good thermals, no need to spread it all around.

Link:

What is the Best Way to Apply Thermal Compound? | Hardware Secrets

But for COoler like Hyper 212 + Benchmark Reviews: Performance Computer Hardware Tests method is better rite?

OP
Skud

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nice videos there tkin.

@rajesh: If I am not mistaken, you ultimately need to cool the cores of the CPUs which generally remains at the center of the CPU. So covering the whole heat spreader from one angle to angle with TIM is not going to be very helpful. I might be wrong though.

ajai5777

Youngling
I have tried many methods including card spread,finger spread (covered with a plastic cover) etc but the best so far is pressing a drop of TIM applied at the centre of the proccy with the heatsink

baccilus

Cyborg Agent
I have tried many methods including card spread,finger spread (covered with a plastic cover) etc but the best so far is pressing a drop of TIM applied at the centre of the proccy with the heatsink

That doesn't work too well for Hyper 212 Plus type coolers.

OP
Skud

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Its not about spreading of the TIM buddy, its about the temps. If ajai5777 is talking about his Hyper TX3, it is also a HDT cooler like Hyper 212+. And as I have mentioned earlier, its about cooling your cores, not the whole heat spreader.

Piyush

Lanaya
hmmm....good one
from next time i'll be focusing on the center of the chip
but how thick should be the thermal compound?

tkin

Back to school!!
Its not about spreading of the TIM buddy, its about the temps. If ajai5777 is talking about his Hyper TX3, it is also a HDT cooler like Hyper 212+. And as I have mentioned earlier, its about cooling your cores, not the whole heat spreader.
The Heatspreader is in direct contact with the core and while the center does become hotter the entire area also gets quite hot and carries heat, so the more contact the better, now HDTs have grooves in them, the tim gets in those grooves and hence contact is lost with the heatpipes, HDTs have less surface area than normal plate coolers, so contact is very important, you must follow the method posted a few posts above.

hmmm....good one
from next time i'll be focusing on the center of the chip
but how thick should be the thermal compound?
If the stuff is a bit runny(MX2), put one drop on the center(small drop), then put the cooler over it, if its viscous like TX4, put one drop on center of, then spread it around with finger(use plastic to cover your finger).

OP
Skud

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Heatspreader is in direct contact with the core and while the center does become hotter the entire area also gets quite hot and carries heat, so the more contact the better, now HDTs have grooves in them, the tim gets in those grooves and hence contact is lost with the heatpipes, HDTs have less surface area than normal plate coolers, so contact is very important, you must follow the method posted a few posts above.

If the stuff is a bit runny(MX2), put one drop on the center(small drop), then put the cooler over it, if its viscous like TX4, put one drop on center of, then spread it around with finger(use plastic to cover your finger).

But does that have any effect on temps? That is the all important question I think. Would love to see Hardware Secrets repeating the same tests with a HDT cooler.

Top Bottom