What is happening to my graphics ?

icebags

Technomancer
I was playing a game, and suddenly compu started freezing, then the graphics became like this: :shock:
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/attachments/graphic-cards/6899d1347821475-what-happening-my-graphics-photo0091.jpg

Then I did reset it, and the windows logo came up like this: :shock:
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/attachments/graphic-cards/6900d1347821482-what-happening-my-graphics-photo0093.jpg

Then found the desktop resolution went to a lower one and the adapter details is showing like this : :confused:
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/attachments/graphic-cards/6901d1347821753-what-happening-my-graphics-adapter.jpg

And the adapter property is showing as "VgaSave".

My cards is XFX 8800GT and I have tried uninstall & reinstall of latest driver several times, but after it asks for restart, it's the same again. :-x

What has happened to my graphics, anybody ? :banghead:

Attachments

• Photo0091.jpg
    Photo0091.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 249
  • Photo0093.jpg
    Photo0093.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 247
  • adapter.JPG
    adapter.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 228
Last edited:

skywalker5555

Broken In
I was playing a game, and suddenly compu started freezing, then the graphics became like this: :shock:
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/attachments/graphic-cards/6899d1347821475-what-happening-my-graphics-photo0091.jpg

Then I did reset it, and the windows logo came up like this: :shock:
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/attachments/graphic-cards/6900d1347821482-what-happening-my-graphics-photo0093.jpg

Then found the desktop resolution went to a lower one and the adapter details is showing like this : :confused:
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/attachments/graphic-cards/6901d1347821753-what-happening-my-graphics-adapter.jpg

And the adapter property is showing as "VgaSave".

My cards is XFX 8800GT and I have tried uninstall & reinstall of latest driver several times, but after it asks for restart, it's the same again. :-x

What has happened to my graphics, anybody ? :banghead:

Gpu artifacts ... thts what its called ....
Kindly monitor ur GPU temps under load and Idle
If temps r ok then m pretty sure ur GDDR ram is messed up

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ OP - remove the gfx card from pc .. clean it and the pci-e slot to on the mobo - re-mount the gfx card properly.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Its a grafics driver issue.

Uninstall latest driver and install any old driver that once worked...should resolve it.

OP
icebags

icebags

Technomancer
hmmm tried the cleaning and old driver loading part. still the same. gonna try today with formatting and os re-install.

i m guessing the card is gone, in this case, is there any way to repair it ? its xfx 8800gt 4+ yrs old (so no warranty left).

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
hmmm tried the cleaning and old driver loading part. still the same. gonna try today with formatting and os re-install.

i m guessing the card is gone, in this case, is there any way to repair it ? its xfx 8800gt 4+ yrs old (so no warranty left).

I guess no .. as a last resort try the gpu on another pc if possible.

audiophilic

Journeyman
As per my experience, this is not an issue with your OS. Its a problem with the way you have connected your graphics card. Try re-installing it from your screen, and it should solve the problem.

OP
icebags

icebags

Technomancer
well, trying to find someone to check my card.

and i tried reinstalling the card too .
buy mine...
evga 8800GT Akimbo Superclocked
4+ yrs
how much is that one ?, considering its 4 yrs old and overclocked, it may go kaput anytime as well....:(

OP
icebags

icebags

Technomancer
os reinstall test failed, system shows its 8800 gt, but cant retain the driver. itstead it shows "device isnt using any resource cause it has a problem". so, it's not a driver problem.

i m guessing smps has started aging and is not capable of supporting the graphics card now. cause when it was in there, system was regularly having startup problem, there was no power. i thought the smps plug was loose, but now that i removed the cardthe startup problem seems gone.
anyways, smps is 4+ yrs old as well and it was never one well rated one, so i think i need to buy another.

its too difficult to find another system with graphics card support here, otherwise i could check the card there. meh. :(

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
a good PSu is a must have for cards with extrenal pci-e power connectors - so if you think it's a PSU issue then don't hesitate to get a good PSU .. tel use what cpu do you have so we can suggest a suitable PSU.

OP
icebags

icebags

Technomancer
yes, please.....

i currently have a system of c2d e8400 (65w tdp), 2x ddr2 ram , xfx 8800gt(106w), creative xtreme gamer scard with 2x sata hdd, 1 dvd and 2 case fans. (CM 500w served these well for 4 years probably because utilization remained <50% )

but looking forward to upgrade the psu with following config in case i get hooked to something like bf3 after a year or so:
a 95w(most probably) /130w cpu with regular desktop board, a 150w gfx card .....

cpu calculators online are suggesting minimum 469w and recommending 518w psu with 100% cpu load + 90% system load + 35% capacitor aging ( i want psu to work for ~ 5 years, so).

thought seasonic 520w would be good for my purpose but there i found you guys saying it doesn't have good support in india. i don't want to go for 600w (read GS600) psu, think it would be too much, since system will normally idle @ ~70w and go upto ~300w @full load and for best psu performance/efficiency psu utilization should be at the range of 20-80%.

there also i don't find any detailed gs600 review online and some ppl think its not as good as gs800. so thinking whether gs500 would be a good choice.

i basically need something at the range of 520-550w. and i don't overclock, at least not till 3-4 years.

so kinda confused.....

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
if you want a PSu last for ~5 years with complete [eace of mind get Corsair TX650v2/M - this comes with 5 years warranty ;-)

for your needs Corsair Cx500v2 is enough.

Top Bottom