what is difference between redhat based, Debian, Slackware based linux?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Lol @ bump !

UF you want a complete full linux distro that contain every codecs and every drivers that are not free go for mandriva One or PCLinuxOS 2007.These are very best for beginners.

PCLinux and mandriva one has all codecs preinstalled?

Pat

Beyond Smart
Lol @ bump !

PCLinux and mandriva one has all codecs preinstalled?

AFA PCLinuxOS is concerned, it bundles not all, but definitely more codecs than are available on a default Ubuntu install,for example. I dont think thats the case with Mandriva though!

I seriously doubt it.

Mint is the way to go if you are looking at propiatary compatibility and are a newbie.

+1

Last edited:

adi007

Youngling
I have seen other forum's which will archive the threads and posts after certain time and no one can post that...
why their is no such facility here..?
As a result some people who come across such threads via search will just post and bump the thread

hullap

Cyborg Agent
I too think this is the best way to install software. And as far as my experience goes(I don't have much), installing from source is just a matter of ./configure, make and make install. And at times you would need to make some changes in some configuration files but that too is easy as its all documented. And it really is As Easy As Saying This!
i dont get it,
what do u guys get by bumping threads?

I have seen other forum's which will archive the threads and posts after certain time and no one can post that...
why their is no such facility here..?
As a result some people who come across such threads via search will just post and bump the thread
some threads, like these, are still valid. :)

vamsi360

Always confused
PCLinuxOS,Mint and Mandriva one come with almost ever codecs and proprietary drivers.I promise you.Be sure you are using the newest version

Last edited:

Pat

Beyond Smart
^^ Dude whats with the fonts and colors ? Can you please use the default text formatting ?

Dark Star

Cyborg Agent
PCLinuxOS and Mandriva one come with almost ever codecs and proprietary drivers.I promise you.

No it does not.. they do provide Flash and mp3 and few more codecs.. But restricted codecs like real media, win32 and libdvd codecs need to be installed !

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
I dont see the point in bumping such an old thread. Talking about this issue, not everyone has time/patience to compile everything from source. Secondly its not as easy as you make it sound. You need to have all the needed libraries and dependencies installed on your system in order for the app to compile correctly :)
Easier in gentoo.

We have to install seperate binaries in Ubuntu to install rpm packages.We cannnot install them directly.
Thank you for enlightening me.

Last edited:

Pat

Beyond Smart
[offtopic]
Gautham I read your post on Insomniacs thread. I hope you know that the beginners guide is available in text format on the core iso. So you dont have to manually write steps down or grasp anything or so.
[/offtopic]

vamsi360

Always confused
sorry for the fonts dude..

Yeah not all codecs supplied but all essential drivers and most well known formats.I think these are enough.

Heard of OpenSuSE?
*en.opensuse.org

dude u rejected my request in ur packages for ubuntu iso thread.Do u remember me.Y cant u just provide those links of the websites to me?It just takes 5 min max.Please dude.I am still pursuing my education and want to make something big of my knowledge.
Atleast please encourage me.Sorry though!

Yeah openSUSE is a good beginner OS and quite advanced too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom