Welcome Linux, Bye Windows...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
Well to be frank , u can't do without windows . if there r probs in windows there r probs in linux too , it's just that very few ppl use linux and those who use it r mostly advanced ppl who can solve their probs otherwise if a normal newbie used linux he'd have lots of probs too . that's also the reason why most hacker's don't write viruses for linux .

and as for speed , wel windows xp runs on my old 833 mhz 96 mb ram machine , can any linux run on this machine and work perfectly fine ?

If u want to install one 5 mbb app in linux , u have to download a 100 mb more to satisfy dependencies . accepted there's dll hell in windows but that's being phased out with the use of assemblies .

how many of u who advocate linux so primarilly use it and have left windows for ever ? do u ppl play games and do everything on linux ?

do tell me !

Satissh S

Youngling
@nitish:
There is nothing like that, say you are going to use gimp in windows, then it will install only when GTK runtime library is installed, correct?? similarly gnu/linux softwares needs some deps to be met to work, these are critical dependencies.

There are other like, visualisations for amaroK media player which aren't exaclty REQUIRED for amaroK to work but add visualisation functionality to Amarok. This is the choice mehul (tech_your_future) told you.

Hmm.. ok, lets say you install a .NET application like paint.net which requires the framework like .net framework to be installed, now open the application's installer in winrar, and copy the paint.net executable to some folder. Try to run them, they will throw up a fatal error and crash, if you dont have .net runtime installed. Similarly, for gnu/linux or *NIX applications, we need some libraries to be installed which are critical to applications functionality, that i refer to as critical dependencies.

But there are apps where you want some essential functionality to be present even if its not ABSOLUTELY REQUIRED, to make our job easier. Such as enabling a graphical user interface for the application. Lets consider VLC, it can very well be run from the command line to watch movie like
$ vlc my_movie.avi
or whatever.
But you need some interface for ease of use, So we need to enable or compile vlc with --enable-x and --with-wxwidgets or --with-skins2 as required. This isn't exacltly required but is quite essential for ease of use.
That is all there is for dependencies, note that, if you have to compile vlc with the --with-wxwidgets flag you need wxwidgets installed. This is what is called a ssorting out dependancies.
Hope its clear. :)

vignesh

Wise Old Owl
A very important thing in OpenSource is software reusability... So they don`t need to waste time and effort.. For example the commandline spell checker aspell is also used in many graphical text editors so the person who created the editor doesn`t have to spend time on creating a spell check program just call the aspell..

So when you install the editor it needs aspell as well.. This is how dependencies arise...

I remember before using net in Linux I download all the packages in Windows and then installed it in Linux.. I used to download a number of packages to install a simple program.. But thats just the way Linux works...

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Zeeshan Quireshi said:
Well to be frank , u can't do without windows . if there r probs in windows there r probs in linux too , it's just that very few ppl use linux and those who use it r mostly advanced ppl who can solve their probs otherwise if a normal newbie used linux he'd have lots of probs too . that's also the reason why most hacker's don't write viruses for linux .
When I had moved on to linux I too was complete noob in linux. I did uninstall windows. It's just a matter of reading documentations and searching in google. And then ask in the forum or a mailing list. People will pay to learn windows and it's applications but won't spends some time to learn linux free of cost.

Zeeshan Quireshi said:
and as for speed , wel windows xp runs on my old 833 mhz 96 mb ram machine , can any linux run on this machine and work perfectly fine ?
I can run a linux server on that. It will respond faster, boot faster, run more apps and will be lot more pleasant to use.

Zeeshan Quireshi said:
If u want to install one 5 mbb app in linux , u have to download a 100 mb more to satisfy dependencies . accepted there's dll hell in windows but that's being phased out with the use of assemblies .
Hmm it's not only dll hell. Like satissh explained. there's dependancy in windows too but it is rarely seen by end users. Also, linux offers you a wide choice reguarding each and every component in it. So, that creates the problem of which component lies where. Also developers have more choice on what to choose which sadly lacks in windows. So, different developers use different components. Besides different distros customise so that makes every distro very different. Well for everything there is ups and downs so for windows and linux.

Zeeshan Quireshi said:
how many of u who advocate linux so primarilly use it and have left windows for ever ? do u ppl play games and do everything on linux ?
Me. I have only linux on my computer. Though I am gonna try Vista, but it is just for having a look at what's in store, linux is my primary OS and will be. Vista will be just for having a look for few days and off my computer.
I do everything and more on linux then I have done on windows.I never played games on windows and linux cos my hardware isn't upto it. If I buy a better computer I will surely play games on linux and no I won't install windows. And I want more developers making games native for linux.

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
tech_your_future said:
When I had moved on to linux I too was complete noob in linux. I did uninstall windows. It's just a matter of reading documentations and searching in google. And then ask in the forum or a mailing list. People will pay to learn windows and it's applications but won't spends some time to learn linux free of cost.

I can run a linux server on that. It will respond faster, boot faster, run more apps and will be lot more pleasant to use.

Hmm it's not only dll hell. Like satissh explained. there's dependancy in windows too but it is rarely seen by end users. Also, linux offers you a wide choice reguarding each and every component in it. So, that creates the problem of which component lies where. Also developers have more choice on what to choose which sadly lacks in windows. So, different developers use different components. Besides different distros customise so that makes every distro very different. Well for everything there is ups and downs so for windows and linux.

Zeeshan Quireshi said:
Me. I have only linux on my computer. Though I am gonna try Vista, but it is just for having a look at what's in store, linux is my primary OS and will be. Vista will be just for having a look for few days and off my computer.
I do everything and more on linux then I have done on windows.I never played games on windows and linux cos my hardware isn't upto it. If I buy a better computer I will surely play games on linux and no I won't install windows. And I want more developers making games native for linux.

well i'm not saying that linux is not good , but i'm saying that windows is not that bad as many call it .

well i'm talking bout a real gui distro that's usable , not just a command line interface . i know that a linux server can be run , but if u try to run a gui the x server will slow down the whole pc .

well i am certainly noot a noob in linux , i've been usin linux since the days of red hat 7 , but i personally think that debian is the best linux distro . i hope u get my point .

mehulved

Zeeshan Quireshi said:
well i'm talking bout a real gui distro that's usable , not just a command line interface . i know that a linux server can be run , but if u try to run a gui the x server will slow down the whole pc .

well i am certainly noot a noob in linux , i've been usin linux since the days of red hat 7 , but i personally think that debian is the best linux distro . i hope u get my point .
Yeah with a GUI too. I am sure you will have heard of windows managers since you have more experience in linux then me. Using windows managers you can make linux run quite a lot faster using lesser resources than even windows 98 if configured well. And I am sure it will be faster than windows XP.
I am a fan of debian and debian based distros too. In fact I use ubuntu. But, I have a soft corner for slackware and gentoo more than debian as I feel they're more trying on your skills.

mehulved

@ nitish Have a look at this to configure your modem *www.modemsite.com/56k/sm56.asp
excerpt from there:
Netodragon Modem & Smartlink Driver: As described in this newsgroup post, it is possible to use the latest Smartlink driver with Netodragon modem by taking the Netodragon-supplied SLAMR.v__ file, and placing it in the same directory as the Smartlink driver.

Also this link *www.modemsite.com/56k/smartlink.asp
NetoDragon, also known as NetDragon makes a modem using the "MDV92XP" chipset - but, it appears that this modem may be based upon Smartlink softmodem; however, Smartlink drivers won't work (unless modified) with modem - reporting incompatible codec. (NetoDragon site has drivers.) Carlos in Bogota reports this file: *www.adrianstaffolani.com.ar/netodragon/slmdm-2.7.10_debug.tar.gz contains modified Smartlink drivers that work on Netodragon voicemodem in Linux.
So, it seems it will be very difficult to find drivers for 2.6.x kernel for that modem.

Download this file *www.firebirds.com.ar/~astaffolani/netodragon/slmdm-2.7.10_debug.tar.gz and see if it helps. Instructions are given in the README file. Just follow them step by step and see if it works.

Last edited:
OP
nitish_mythology

nitish_mythology

OSS Enthusiast!
Error----

modem.c:1713:error:static declaration of 'sregs_init' was here

make[1]***[modem.o] Error!
make[1]: Leaving directory /home/Softwares/slmodem/modem
make:*** [modem] Error 2

Manually copied hence there might be few diff!

mehulved

OK I seem to have forgotten telling you this. I think it's either a problem with kernel of with the version of GCC.
Seeing this *www.linuxformat.co.uk/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=23209 it seems problem lies with GCC.
I will try to check this up ASAP and see what can be done. In the meanwhile check up on the above link and do a bit of google search u may find something.

mehulved

Umm my mistake. I had a look back at this thread. I saw that you have GCC version 4.0. Is it possible for you to download GCC version 3.3.x or 3.4. That seems the solution according to the link I gave. GCC 4 does break some of the older applications made in GCC version 3.
Unfortunately, it's throwing up too many errors in my system. I guess that's because of missing hardware.
The xmms error is the missing dependancy. The version of XMMS you are trying to install needs glib-1.2.2. But you have a different version. That's what I was warning of compiling maually.

OP
nitish_mythology

nitish_mythology

OSS Enthusiast!
Downloaded a version of glib..
Tried to install it using rpm -ivh command.

I says that glib is already installed!
xmms is not able to find it..

wht is 'ivh' in rpm-ivh?

Congratulations! tech_your_future A mod now...
How did u gt this title?

mehulved

yeah glib should be already installed.
Use
Code:
 rpm -Uvh <filename>
Type this in terminal to know more about rpm
Code:
 man rpm
rpm --help
Both will give you a lot of information on rpm.
And check if your cd/dvd has gcc3.3 or 3.4. Or try to download it. It will be a big download for you but it might help in solving your modem problems.

OP
nitish_mythology

nitish_mythology

OSS Enthusiast!
If glib is already installed then why cant xmms find it?
Shd some paths needed to b given?

Congratulations! tech_your_future A mod now...
Till u say thanks, I will post it! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom