Welcome Linux, Bye Windows...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dipen01

Youngling
@borg.:- my PC is P III 1GHz..64 SD RAM... what do u suggest out of those 4..

yeah i need to learn basic commands of Linux...coz thats what am supposed to... so suggest me some according to that..

borg

In the zone
As I said, try either ubuntu 6.06 or Mandriva 2006 (anything will do, flip a coin if u can't decide). Also I highly recommend using Linux only if u have a good internet connection. Without internet, you can't get very far with Linux. As u might know, Linux doesn't come with any of the codecs (to play videos, audios, etc). These have to be downloaded & installed manually. Without internet, your Linux experience will be little more than an academic exercise. You won't be able to do any real work with it.... in my opinion

Just tell us, which distro you are going for. We will help further. You can start by getting a ubuntu 6.06 CD & booting off it. It is a live CD & u will be able to run the OS off the CD itself. This way u can try it out before actually installing it.

Dipen01

Youngling
OK ... well i dont have INternet so my badluck i guess...

hav ordered for MANDRIVA 2006...but it will take time... am goin with UBUNTU...will get my frends CD..today itself..

First will have to partition..:(

thanx..

borg

In the zone
After u have installed ubuntu, you will have a lot to do to make the system usable. This includes installing codecs & softwares such as realplayer, xine, etc, etc. How u are going to do this without an internet connection is beyond me. Anyways, you will need a good guide to accomplish everything. Here is one-

*ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Dapper

or try this

*www.pcmech.com/show/os/917/

Maybe others can post better guides.

Dipen01

Youngling
hey..thanx a lot... man will try em.. any help on partitioning... i mean how do i make partition for linux thru FDISK in DOS

@pathik..:- *free.thelinuxstore.ca/index.php

Posted by blackpearl in another post.!!

abhishekkulkarni

Journeyman
reddragon said:
8 out of 10 cases go like this ............they kick out windows thinking that what they r doing is great and they will do a lot of stuff in linux and will contribute many things to the open-source community.............

but when u will be in danger , u have short time , deadline all blues ...

u will see windows will save u ....... 8 / 10 people try linux for a month and finally switch back to WINDOWS .. as u r a newbie to linux I suggest u not to kill windows in ur PC ...keep it there also . 2 OS are good .:eek:

Is this a new technique for OS demolition ?
ROFL !!

borg

In the zone
Partitioning is really simple. Just make sure you have say atleast 6-7 GB of free space. Boot off the Linux CD. It will have an option to use the free space & automatically partition. Use that option & move on. Its really simple. I don't think you will need to use FDsik in dos to create partitions for Linux.

abhishekkulkarni

Journeyman
Dipen01 said:
hey..thanx a lot... man will try em.. any help on partitioning... i mean how do i make partition for linux thru FDISK in DOS
FDISK can only create whatever partitions you want to create .
You won't be able to format those partitions in either of the Linux filesystems ( ext2/ext3/Reiser FS etc ..) .
This because DOS doesn't support these Filesystems .

The best way is to use the Partition manager in any Distro ( eg - QTParted in MEPIS ) .
Or you can simply use the CDs of any Distrbution and partition your HDD from the Partition Manager included in the Installation Program .

Dipen01

Youngling
thanx..Well whatever u ppl say...i know it..

but the real locha is that my 3rd partition is of 33 GB... and i want to resize it to some 25..and remaining will be for Linux.. but Partition Magic shows errors and abruptly halts..it says.. Invalid Drive Name Error - 117... well i would have done it from scratch..

but the above mentioned drive is Extended and..so its not deleting it either.. well i assume that its expecting me to delete WHOLE Extended..(2 drives)..which isnt possible for me...

so am in hunt of another partition manager... well Ranish..is famous..but as i havent used it...i m sure..wont be able to do it..ill may be try Acronis..but ill have to d/l it...so thats the problem....

Dipen01

Youngling
Good going eagle...

btw i must say..that there are damn... UNLIMITED OPTIONS/CONTROLS... in linux...

even the tiniest of settings can be tweaked...(in Mandriva atleast)... it was gettin tough for me to remember all...:p

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom