Status
Not open for further replies.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
nitish_mythology said:
No thanks...

@tech_your_future
Thanks for ur motivation..
The drivers I downloaded are not working..
What is the cost of an external modem?
So if I once instal yum then will all soft installation prb disappear?
OK so I guess more searching needs to be done for modem drivers.
I have no clue of what an external modem costs.
Yeah yum will solve your problems. Well I personally prefer apt+synaptic cos I generally use debian and that's the debian way. I am used to apt and I can say it's a very convinent way of installing software. It manages dependacy problems on it's own.
BTW, can you describle the procedure how you tried to install the drivers. Maybe if you are going wrong somewhere someone here will be able to help you out.

OP
nitish_mythology

nitish_mythology

OSS Enthusiast!
I tried the command
./configure
Error mess--No Such File or Directory

I issued make command and then after lots of messages..
It gave four or five lines of errors in modem.c file.
E.G-
modem.c:1701:error:invalid storage class for function 'sregs_init'
3 or 4 lines were more, i m not mentioning them as I will have to 1st manually type them in my laptop.

Thanks,All of u r taking so pain to help me

Last edited:
T

titun

Great step nitish !! I have made many attempts to use linux(fedora,ubuntu) as my primary OS but always removed the linux partitions loosing patience. But now your bold step to use Fedora Core as your primary & only OS has made me to think twice for sure. I am also going to use Linux as soon as I finish downloading all 5 Fedora Core 5 .ISOs but will use it in a dual boot with XP SP 2. Just don't be undetered by discouraging remarks. Good luck.

mehulved

*www.linuxforums.org/forum/linux-networking/46696-problems-installing-modem-driver.html is your problem similar?
Also give the output of
Code:
gcc -v //gives you which version of gcc you are using
Code:
uname -a // which will give the version of kernel you are using
Also, if you can transfer the README file from the linux computer to windows computer and attach it here I can search for more info.

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
hey by seeing nitish i think that i should also swicth not completly through.i am thinking of unbuntu 5.1 which i got through free post service.it cointains a live cd & install cd. i have some questions in my mind.

1)currently i have windows 2000 pro sp4 & windows xp pro sp2.winxp is for everything that can be done on comp.and win-2k is for my programming needs.i do visual basic 6 and Oracle 8i.my sole purpose of win 2k is running oracle 8i & vb6.will i be able to run these on unbuntu??

2)Is it a myth that distros with more cd are good.since in this regard my os is inferior to other distro.i want distro which is very easy to learn.will ubuntu 5.1 live upto my expections??

3)config:-Amd athlon 3000+,msi-k8m100,80 gb sata,onboard bfx,256 ms ram,.do i need any special drivers to install like in a windows installion from manufacures cd.or linux comes with its own drivers compatible with every hardware??

4)is every soft has a diff version for linux users.is there any way by which we can run existing windows soft.since downloading every soft on bb connection will take ages.i know i will find every progarms linux version.

5)i have a wireless router for datone bb on a lan.what steps i need to do set bb on ubuntu.

6)i am curious about linux.how it is diff from windows.also pls tell me a website where i can basic terms of linux.in order to gain basic funtionallty.because i believe wihtout basic know how how u can work.basic knowledege is must.i also want to khow how linux is not prone to viruses:-o as windows is.i spend thounds of ruppees in buying security related soft.

7)will my machine work fast with current cofig?? since i have heard that linux uses less resouces and is faster

i khow the are very long questions u can answer selected question also.it woudl be very helpful if u answer 3 questions also.

regards
gary

Bravo,:)
My ISt post In open SOurce

Last edited:

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
also i am getting 404 page not found errord in the sticky [Readme] These topics have been covered.somebody pls fix the links

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
gary4gar said:
hey by seeing nitish i think that i should also swicth not completly through.i am thinking of unbuntu 5.1 which i got through free post service.it cointains a live cd & install cd. i have some questions in my mind.

1)currently i have windows 2000 pro sp4 & windows xp pro sp2.winxp is for everything that can be done on comp.and win-2k is for my programming needs.i do visual basic 6 and Oracle 8i.my sole purpose of win 2k is running oracle 8i & vb6.will i be able to run these on unbuntu??
I dont think VB will run on linux.

gary4gar said:
2)Is it a myth that distros with more cd are good.since in this regard my os is inferior to other distro.i want distro which is very easy to learn.will ubuntu 5.1 live upto my expections??
Its just that distro's with more CD's (like Fedora Core) have most of the software bundled. You dont have to download most of the software as in the case of single CD distros.

gary4gar said:
3)config:-Amd athlon 3000+,msi-k8m100,80 gb sata,onboard bfx,256 ms ram,.do i need any special drivers to install like in a windows installion from manufacures cd.or linux comes with its own drivers compatible with every hardware??
No, linux will install the required drivers.

gary4gar said:
4)is every soft has a diff version for linux users.is there any way by which we can run existing windows soft.since downloading every soft on bb connection will take ages.i know i will find every progarms linux version.
Some windows software can be run on linux using WINE. Also, if downloading is a problem, go for bigger distros which bundle almost all the software you will ever need.

gary4gar said:
5)i have a wireless router for datone bb on a lan.what steps i need to do set bb on ubuntu.
I think, linux will configure it automatically.. But not to sure.. Only way to tell is to install linux!

gary4gar said:
6)i am curious about linux.how it is diff from windows.also pls tell me a website where i can basic terms of linux.in order to gain basic funtionallty.because i believe wihtout basic know how how u can work.basic knowledege is must.i also want to khow how linux is not prone to viruses:-o as windows is.i spend thounds of ruppees in buying security related soft.
*www.michaelhorowitz.com/Linux.vs.Windows.html

gary4gar said:
7)will my machine work fast with current cofig?? since i have heard that linux uses less resouces and is faster
Yes.. And much more stable.. No need for reboots..

gary4gar said:
i khow the are very long questions u can answer selected question also.it woudl be very helpful if u answer 3 questions also.
You are most welcome! :)

Last edited:

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
thanx for promt reply.my since u stated that i will need drivers from my munufactures website.my manufacture is VIA.i went on site it provides drivers for the followoing os.pls suggets me one.

Code:
Windows XP
Windows XP 64-Bit
Windows 2000
Windows ME
Windows NT
Windows 98SE
Windows 98
Windows 95
Windows Server 2003 x64
DOS
Windows XP Embedded SP2
Windows XP Embedded
Windows CE.net 5.0
Windows CE.net 4.2
Windows CE.net 4.1/4.0
Linux XFree86 (Not distribution-specific)
Mandriva 2006 Linux
Mandrake / Mandriva pre-2006 Linux
Fedora Core 5.0 Linux
Fedora Core 1.0, 2.0 & 4.0 Linux
Fedora Core 3.0 Linux
Source
SuSE Linux
Red Flag Linux
Red Hat Linux
MAC OS

I dont think VB will run on linux.

will Oracle 8i run on it??

Last edited:

kalpik

That depends on which distro you are planning to install! And dont worry about VIA drivers, Linux will install them automatically..

OP
nitish_mythology

nitish_mythology

OSS Enthusiast!
@tech_your_future
i did exactly what u said..
I have a cd writer but I dont know how to burn a cd?
I am not able to find k3b..My desk is gnome based
And my laptop has no floppy drive!

Manually typed the whole text--
Command uname -a
Linux Localhost.localdomain 2.6.11-1.1369_FC4 #1 Thu JUn 2 22:53:35 EdT 2005
i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
Command gccc -v
Using built-in specs.
target: i386-redhat-linux
Configure with: ../configure --prefix=/usr --mandir=/usr/share/man --
infodir=/usr/share/info --enable-shared --enable-threads=posix --enable-
checking=release --with-system-zlib --enable-_cxa_atexit --disable-libunwind-
exceptions --enable-libgcj-multifile --enable-languages=c,c++,objc,java,f95,ada --enable -java-awt=gtk
--with-java-home=/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.4.2-gcj-1.4.2.0/jre --host=i386-redhat-linux
Thread model: posix
gcc version 4.0.0 20050519 (Red Hat 4.0.0-8 )

OP
nitish_mythology

nitish_mythology

OSS Enthusiast!
@tech_your_future
What readme are u asking me to post? Pls tell

What if I download rpms directly from net(E.G--xmms).Will the soft then work?

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
kalpik said:
That depends on which distro you are planning to install! And dont worry about VIA drivers, Linux will install them automatically..

which is best for learning purpose and also has some functionalty like what a 12 std guy would do on a pc.have u uderstood my point.till now i am palnning to install unbuntu 5.1.how it

kalpik

If you are happy with basic stuff, like office, internet, songs n stuff, then Ubuntu is fine.. If you want the real stuff, like servers, apache, php, mysql, try Fedora Core ;) Also i think Fedora Core is better since it has KDE, also you get to learn a lot with it. Ubuntu's not that bad either, tech_your_future can tell you more about it. He's running Ubuntu, and im running Fedora Core 5. I always find things *missing* in Ububtu, dunno why :p Both have pretty good support, so you can go wrong with either. And since you said downloading stuff is a problem, FC5 is more suited to you, because it has virtually *everything* you will ever need!

Last edited:

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
hey,
but where will i get fc5??
also i have 10 disc of ubuntu 5.1 as a free posting service.

one more question:i have 80 gb hdd which has 4 partions

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
Nitish, welcome to Linux world. An external modem will cost you Rs 2000 /-
You can download some small files using it. If you want to download huge files
you better go for Airtel or Tata Indicom (VSNL) broadband.

mehulved

@gary4gar oracle will run on linux but you will need to download linux version of oracle. Do not run windows apps on linux as far as possible as it can laed to improper functioning of programs.
For practising VB6 you can try gambas which is very similar or there are other alternatives for VB in linux. For, .net you have mono project in linux.
If you don't want to download much, you can order debian cd's/dvd's. Debian is a set of 14 CD's /3 DVD's and will contain almost everything you need and more. But, I am not so sure if it will have a few apps like oracle. But, debian is a really good distro and with 14 CD's you will have your hands full to explore without having to download much softwares.
Or you can buy May or June's Linux For You. It will cost Rs. 125 but it's worth it. You will get Fedora Core 5 with May's edition and Suse 10.1 with June's edition besides there will be some nice articles in the magazine to read about.
As far as hardware goes, I don't think it will have any problems with any recent distros. I don't know about your router but if it is connected through lan card it won't be a problem.
To learn basics of linux go to The Linux Documentation Project Guides. You will get plenty of resources there. Also Ubuntu Guide is a good place if you are using ubuntu.
Even in linux yu will have to install some security related softwares but they are free. Even though linux is more secure it is not completely secure, in fact no software can be completely secure. So, you need to have a few security softwares installed and configured.
About usage of resources, do not use KDE because you lack a little bit in RAM, so the performance will be sluggish. rather use some window manager like XFCE and your machine will run really fast.

@ nitish
Your problem with compiling the drivers lie with your version of GCC, I think you will need GCC 3.x. Some user of FC will be able to point out to you where to get GCC 3.x from, I don't have much idea.
I am asing for the README file that is contained inside the network driver's archive. That mioght help in knowing what version of GCC might be needed.
You need to download rpm's for FC5. All RPM's will work, but the RPM's specific to FC5 will work better and cause less dependacy problems, but still it might have one or two dependancies which might need to be downloaded.

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
Kalpik, you can install lot of proprietary packages in Ubuntu using Automatix.
Checkout this following link for more details about Automatix:
*ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=138405
You need to have a broadband internet connection though.

OP
nitish_mythology

nitish_mythology

OSS Enthusiast!
I want a solution so that I can install soft from digit cds..
If yum is useful to install rpms from net...then I dont want it..

mehulved

nitish_mythology said:
I want a solution so that I can install soft from digit cds..
If yum is useful to install rpms from net...then I dont want it..
I don't know about yum but apt can install sotwares from CD's. But, most of the softwares given out with these mags come in the form of source tarballs. I don't know if their dependancies are supplied with it too. So, then you will have to manage dependacy situations on your own. And sometimes it will require you to download dependancies from the net.
If they give out rpm's for FC, that's all fine and good. Also, if they give out dependancies of the software, then too it's good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom