want to know more about cpu coolers

guru280789

Broken In
well i know the importance of cpu cooling but dnt really no how coolers help nd if i need one or not. i dnt overclock rather i dnt know how to overclock i would if knew how to ... so i m begining wid da first step dat is to cool my pc ...plz help me decide wat cooler to buy nd my budget is not more than 6K
plz help guys nd plz suggest some software dat will help me monitor my cpu temperature .. thnks a ton

saurabh_1e

teh tech saviour!
first tell your config
then if you plan to overclock (oc)

for temp mngmnt
speed fan
hw monitor
real temp for amd
and lots more just google up
cpu z for computer specifications.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
well i know the importance of cpu cooling but dnt really no how coolers help nd if i need one or not. i dnt overclock rather i dnt know how to overclock i would if knew how to ... so i m begining wid da first step dat is to cool my pc ...plz help me decide wat cooler to buy nd my budget is not more than 6K
plz help guys nd plz suggest some software dat will help me monitor my cpu temperature .. thnks a ton

See, if you are not overclocking the CPU to extreme points then stock HSF (heat sink fan) are fine for you. Also is is important to know what system configuration you have. Something similar to the signatures we carry on our posts here. Reason being many parameters come into play. Also the motherboard clearance (NB heat sinks, DIMM sockets) also are important. OEM HSFs can be big. For your budget you could probably get the best OEM HSF available.

For example see this:
Noctua NH-D14. This is around ~4.8K. And available in India. It is probably one of the best air coolers available. Something like this is procured if you are going for 35-40% system overclock. Extreme. Else there are HSFs available for lower range. Hyper 212 (Rs. ~2.8K) is good also.

ajai5777

Youngling

Man you have decided to cool yor proccy even before you overclock it.Its not like that.Most multicore CPU's get 15-20% OC in stock HSF.First you OC your proccy in stock and check temperatures in stress tests.If its in safe limits, you dont even need a cooler or you can get one to push your CPU little more.

My Athlon II X4 630 is running @ 3.3GHz in stock.It even touches 3.4GHz.But in stress tests its temperatures go higher with out crashes.So I am going to get a cooler to bring temperatures to the safe level and for a little more OC.

OP
G

guru280789

Broken In
k luks like i need a cooler only if i overclock...
can u tell me wat does overclocking mean m new to this so nd m ill informed... does overclocking include bios tweaking or does it include hardware tweaking as well....and wat r the advantages nd the side effects ...

ajai5777

Youngling
Will a hyper TX3 do anything good for my proccy?
I have read somewhere that someone got 4GHz in Athlon II X4 630 with hyper TX3.I have read his posts and planned to get hyper TX3 also its much cheaper than hyper 212

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Guys if going for OEM HSF, make sure it is bolt down. Nothing beats this. Push-pin is totally useless.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Was talking about the Hyper 212 not (+) model, which is more expensive than the newer Hyper 212, being twin tower. Hyper 212+ is HDT.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
That is the Hyper 212. Not the Plus model. There is a difference between the two, as I mentioned initially.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^^
Okay, lets make it clear. There are two models of the Cooler Master Hyper 212 series.

Model 1: Hyper 212 : Cost 2.8K (or 2.4K, but for sure more expensive than the (+) model)
Model 2: Hyper 212+ : Cost 1.8K

Model 1 is the older model, more expensive than model 2, and is dual tower, and non HDT. THIS IS the model I was talking about being ~2.8K.
And it looks like this:
*img690.imageshack.us/img690/4672/coolermasterhyper212010.jpg

Model 2 is the newer model, and cheaper being single tower, but is HDT.
And it looks like this:
*img688.imageshack.us/img688/6394/coolermasterhyper212plu.jpg

The reason I do not recommend this cooler is because it has a flaw on the contact surface.
See this image.
*img39.imageshack.us/img39/50/closeupsurfaceexplained.jpg

The direct contact pipes leave air gaps. Of course they will need to be filled with TIM.

pulsar_swift

Youngling
Ok got it now.thanks for the illustration bro. Hyper 212 also had heat pipes. If its not touching the CPU, how will it cool it.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Well the heat pipes run between the cpu cooler header, so they transmit heat from the cpu cooler contact surface. Most coolers are of this design, non HDT.

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl

Firstly, your processor already has a cooler, you will need to upgrade it only if you overclock. Bsic coolers blow air on the CPU so that cool fres air keeps coming in and absorbs the heat from the CPU. coolers with copper pipes absorb heat from the CPU and release it outside. So if you overclock within 10-15%, the cooler that you already have, which is referred to as stock HSF (Heat Sink Fan), will suffice.

Top Bottom