Want to adopt a dog....need advice.

which one wil fit here?

• Total voters

rohan_mhtr

Most wanted
I own a Labrador , and i can tell you that they are the most playfull and loyal of all dogs .
Dogs behaviour depends on how well he is trained during his first year . My advise is no matter which breed you select make sure the dog is not more the 1 n half months old .
also train them when they are young otherwise they wont listnen to you after a year .

Labradors , doberman and german shepords are most common pet dogs and you can find them easily . Pug is silly but also costly . Other breeds are really difficult to find in india .

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here
German shephard look more of a guard dog then a pet...very serious most of the times

i own a german shepherd . it's the perfect mix. it's a good guard dog, its very strong and can be very playful too. my suggestion would be get a German shepherd

labradors and golden retrievers are more playful and not that useful as a guard dog... and i personally believe whats the use of having a dog if he does not protect you :)

motobuntu

Journeyman
@Piyush, You can go for desi dog also. I had one for last 11 yrs., they are less prone to disease as compared to foreign breeds, require less maintenance and are very good companions.

as @ico said 'a dog becomes what you train him to be', its all up to you how you train your pet.

OP
Piyush

Piyush

Lanaya
c'mon
desi dogs dont even look that good
and any one of you jot down the pros of desi dogs against proper breeds

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here
@ssk
was this your first dog?
coz this is my first time

my 3rd dog... :)

and as this is your first dog , some tips

u have to train them well, if u don't they will keep biting random people and u will be able to do nothing about it, u have to train them when they are a puppy, ask for help from people who have actually owned big dogs

and u have to be a little harsh with him when he is a puppy, u have to beat him up( not kill him :) ), not give him food etc. when he does stuff like steal food from kitchen, piss in your bedroom, bite family members etc.

i've seen a lot of people who are not able to do this because it's a cute puppy and later on when it becomes older it becomes undisciplined and does what it wants, bites people etc.

so u have to understand that keeping a pet dog is a big responsibility , and what will make all of this easier is keeping a smaller dog (this is also an option as this is your 1st dog, next time buy a big dog :) )

but if u still wanna get a big dog, make sure u train him WELL

OP
Piyush

Piyush

Lanaya
and u have to be a little harsh with him when he is a puppy, u have to beat him up( not kill him :) ), not give him food etc. when he does stuff like steal food from kitchen, piss in your bedroom, bite family members etc.

yea thats a problem
my grandma had a German Shepherd puppy ans he used to piss and poop beneath the beds
so the question is what to do when we don't even know the timings of these things
and how to scold/beat (to what extent/magnitude)?

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
i personally believe whats the use of having a dog if he does not protect you :)
:rolleyes:

yea thats a problem
my grandma had a German Shepherd puppy ans he used to piss and poop beneath the beds
so the question is what to do when we don't even know the timings of these things
and how to scold/beat (to what extent/magnitude)?

You should make it a fixed timing to take the dog for the walk, slowly and steadily the dog will learn. Ideally you shouldn't have to beat your dog, they become even more stubborn after beating (few breeds in particular take "beating" very badly even if you pretend to beat), if you have to beat, it shouldn't hurt the dog "at all" in any means. I also don't think food should be denied as such, maybe deny the favourite food or skip a meal but never starve the dog to punish it either.
Puppies WILL piss and poop EVERYWHERE. Be prepared to clean piss and poop for few months.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
And bye bye to shoes/chappals when they start teething.

I remember our puppy, way back in the 90's. I was playing Mario 1 on my Samurai. Suddenly the controls went dead. At "run time" the dude chewed through the cable...! Boy was I pissed. Being in Mussoorie, had to wait like 6 months for a secondary controller.

Mom/Dad/Sis found this "gesture" of his really cute and adored him even more.

But on a serious note: pets become like family members. Till date (we have a cute Pomeranian at home), when ever I go to visit my parents, I have to take stuff for him. Flea collar, chewies, biscuits, toys. I am reminded consistently as my travel days come close.
:)

nginx

In the zone
Don't get a dog based on which breed looks cute or which one is strong. Get a breed depending on your lifestyle and how much time you can spend behind him/her.

You certainly wouldn't want to get a Labrador Retriever or Golden Retriever if you don't have the time to take him for regular walks and play with him. You would also have to groom him regularly. What I am saying is that certain breeds like Golden Retriever are high maintenance breeds and require a lot of dedication on the owner's part to take care of them.

If you want a dog which will be happy even if you don't take him for walks, get a Pug or a Chihuahua or Lhasa Apso or Beagle or Dachshund. Mind you more furry is the dog, the more time you have to spend behind grooming.

You also have to initially work extremely hard on house breaking and training which requires patience. Some dog breeds also learn quicker than others. Also don't forget to puppy proof your house because they love to chew at anything and everything including computer wires and wooden chairs. It's a big responsibility taking care of a dog. I had one and I know. So please do your research before you adopt one. Don't just get one and neglect it.

And please, the worst you can do is beat a dog. Do not ever make that mistake. The dog only wants to please you and if you beat him, you would lose his loyalty very quickly and won't ever listen to you. Besides he won't learn anything that way. Research on the internet and you will see there are far better ways to train your dog than beating him.

Last edited:
OP
Piyush

Piyush

Lanaya
@lfc_fan
thanks a lot
will keep in mind

@asingh
so its better to buy a chewie for him when the teething starts

@nginx
thanks for the info bro, I'll never beat my dog at any chance

well here is the scenario
we are 4 in family including me and my sis
the last member to leave home is my father( before 9:30)
however , mom arrives home at 3 pm

so is it ok to adopt a dog by keeping in mind above timings?
the dog will be on its own for 9 to 3 at most (only weekdays)
and i can bunk some of my classes for him if required :lol:

nginx

In the zone
Dogs don't usually like to be left alone in the house. Some dogs suffer from anxiety tension if left alone at home for long periods. They will start howling and crying and start chewing at anything when they get an anxiety attack. It varies from dog to dog and not all dogs suffer from it. My dog used to just sleep when nobody's around but my neighbor's dog would to get real hyper when everyone left for work.

Your timings are fine. Take him for a nice long walk in the morning before you leave, that way he will be content for the rest of the day. Make sure he gets his meals on time though. Make a routine and stick to it. Don't feed him one day at 12pm when you are home and then at 4pm when you have college the next day. That's just wont work.

OP
Piyush

Piyush

Lanaya
did anyone heard of any person keeping Siberian Husky as a pet
are Indian temperatures OK for this dog?

I once saw this breed in an dog show organized last year
and this dog was really something
all of us just wanted to touch his furs at least once
it has the look of wolf ;)

Top Bottom