Want to adopt a dog....need advice.

which one wil fit here?

• Total voters

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
Not its natural habitat, so no.

Personally I'll recommend you either a desi, or a small sized breed. Go for practicality not looks.

If it was so easy to handle animals, I would have got a real Wolf. :D

OP
Piyush

Piyush

Lanaya
Not its natural habitat, so no.

Personally I'll recommend you either a desi, or a small sized breed. Go for practicality not looks.

If it was so easy to handle animals, I would have got a real Wolf. :D

small sized breed
like Pomeranian?/Chihuahua/?or that "hot dog sort of dog" of Oswald cartoon?

and can you explain practicality in terms of dogs?

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Way way way back, when I was a small child, we had a "sheep dog". Not the traditional breed..but it was this huge thing..which the local goat herders in our PAHARI region use to manage the herds of sheep.

They literally have an iron collar around their necks -- with spikes pointing out. This is cause leopards attack the neck...! They are a cross between alsation and wolf.

My parents tell me that BRUNO used to eat a bucket full of food in a day..!

AT OP:
Yes get tons of chewies..or he will chew what he finds on the floor.

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
I mean the likes of Pomeranian, Spitz (that's my pet), Chihuahua, Pug, etc.
As for practicality, well nginx explained it pretty well. It's all about your lifestyle and the dog.

Remember an unhappy dog is just next as bad as an unhappy person. They should never be left frustrated, a big dog may very well be so if doesn't enough space or walks. This frustration can be expressed in a variety of undesirable ways. I would personally not recommend those big breeds unless you live in a "haveli" or your family lifestyle involves a lot of walking, particularly if it's the first dog you are going to adopt. Their diet is also a challenge.

Mind you small dogs are not devoid of problems. The beautiful hairline of Spitz and Pomeranian can be really be a problem, and even with regular grooming, they will shed hair particularly for few weeks annually or semi-annually. And as the hair gets suspended in air, I am sure I've eaten a lot of my dog's hairs. :D

Also remember Dogs can be very moody, and far more intelligent than humans give them credit for. They also have long memory. Only dog owners realize that. :)

OP
Piyush

Piyush

Lanaya
i surfed the web for German shepherd n alsatian dogs... can anyone tell whats the difference between the two?? both the breeds look exactly the same

sygeek

Technomancer
I chose German Shephard cause that's the only domestic dog I've seen..It usually scares the crap out of me if I mistakenly encounter it (Great for security).

abhidev

Human Spambot
IMO...i would suggest you to go for a lab or golden retreiver and not rotweiler as they are way too aggressive...just not to frighten you...but view at your own risk...
*t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSk82TgC86yeXGwJy7FypgA8zQgmiGoO-qVuORdp-EgR5zLJ5scUw

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here
i surfed the web for German shepherd n alsatian dogs... can anyone tell whats the difference between the two?? both the breeds look exactly the same

They are the same

Alsatian or German Shepherd Dog - What is the Difference?

abhidev

Human Spambot
here's an interesting site i found.......★☞ Dog Breed Selector Quiz SelectSmart.com

also checkout this one *www.indiakennels.com/index.php

OP
Piyush

Piyush

Lanaya
@abhidev
thanks for the link, those sites were really helpful

@ ssk
thanks.....i was wondering what might be the difference between the two?

@zangetsu
yea...was considering it for a while
but i doubt the availability factor

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah
IMO...i would suggest you to go for a lab or golden retreiver and not rotweiler as they are way too aggressive...just not to frighten you...but view at your own risk...
*t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSk82TgC86yeXGwJy7FypgA8zQgmiGoO-qVuORdp-EgR5zLJ5scUw
Saying it for the third time. A dog becomes what you train him to be. :|

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here

exactly , you need to be a good trainer
my alsatian, when i order him to sit, he sits even if we're in the middle of the street and he's not chained

my friend who bought an alsatian because he liked my dog, could not train him. his dog has bitten 10 people, including all the 5 people from his family.

so training is of utmost importance!

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
The Pommy..we have at home so darn spoilt.
:(

Pommies are little spoilt and stubborn by nature. :p The cuteness comes at a price.

Well sometimes you shouldn't bite more than you can chew. A breed may become what you train it to be but every breed requires handling of different kind. You can't say, handle a Poodle like the way you handle an Alsatian.
I certainly won't recommend a rottwieler if you can't spend enough time for its training, or you can't keep up its diet.

abhidev

Human Spambot

True...but Rotweilers is breed that need extra training as they have the behavior of hunters...i.e they treat the people around as a "Wolf Pack"(Taken from Hangover :p)...i.e they need to be trained in a way that the dog looks upto you as their leader and not the other way round...or else they can be very difficult to control and can be aggressive...also they tend to have a habit of mouthing(to hold parts of body like hands,etc in their mouth in a non-aggressive way but can be dangerous if not broken when they are young).

Checkout the article

Also i would advice if there are small children at home...then Rotweilers is a very bad idea....

OP
Piyush

Piyush

Lanaya
well i cant say anything
but i watched a show on dog care on DD national last saturday/sunday in the evening(6:30 i guess)
though they mentioned too that the rottweilers can be very friendly and lovable but they also mentioned that they are pretty difficult to train if the owner are newbies
they also mentioned that rottweilers dont love to be tied on leash either outside or inside the house

one caller mentioned his problem in that show
he said that he has a rottweiler since 2 years and that dog had bitten his family members (all) except the boy
also the dog only permit the boy to leash and nobody else

Top Bottom