Want to adopt a dog....need advice.

which one wil fit here?

• Total voters

Piyush

Lanaya
So i want to adopt a pet dog.But don't know which to go for.I would like your expert advice.

Actually I was rooting for a German Shepherd (I've played with one of my cousin's a lot)
But my father is making up his mind on a Rottweiler and my sister for a Labrador/Golden Retriever....and my mom just don't want any :lol:

Also i don't want any specific qualities.
So....lets start.

Last edited:

mohityadavx

Youngling
My Mamaji ( Mom's brother) Is a breeder , so i can help u there :-

1) German Shepherd :- Not too tempered, intelligent, looks frightful. Good if u want 2 buy a dog which can frighten but doesn't rip off ur visitors

2) Rottweiler :- It is officially illegal to own a rottweiler. Tell ur Dad its not aggressive as he have heard from rumors German Shepherd are as much as strong as rottweiler if taken proper care. Rottweiler has distinct fang which even by mistake while playing with u get into ur hand which will happen atleast once whichever u buy will do u serious damage.

3) Labrador/Golden Retriever :- Both are intelligent and playful though Golden Retriever requires more care.

My personal choice is St Bernard. :smile:

PS ;- I don't have any of these dogs as my mother hate dogs but I have experience with all of these dogs as i spent many of my summer's vacations at my Mama's house.

Good Luck!!!

Make sure u r not sold off a mixed breed.

T

The Conqueror

Offtopic : A time will come when some species will purchase "Humans" as pets..

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Rottweiler.

2) Rottweiler :- It is officially illegal to own a rottweiler. Tell ur Dad its not aggressive as he have heard from rumors German Shepherd are as much as strong as rottweiler if taken proper care. Rottweiler has distinct fang which even by mistake while playing with u get into ur hand which will happen atleast once whichever u buy will do u serious damage.
It is not illegal to own a Rottweiler but yes, they are strong.

As far as aggression is concerned, a dog becomes what you train him to be.

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here
So i want to buy a pet dog.But don't know which to go for.I would like your expert advice.

Actually I was rooting for a German Shepherd (I've played with one of my cousin's a lot)
But my father is making up his mind on a Rottweiler and my sister for a Labrador/Golden Retriever....and my mom just don't want any :lol:

Also i don't want any specific qualities.
So....lets start.

1st question, will this be your 1st dog?

sujoyp

Grand Master
I am a desi dog owner but I know that labrador are the most playful and happy kind of dog...always look happy
German shephard look more of a guard dog then a pet...very serious most of the times

BTW dont say purchasing a dog but say adopting a dog:razz:...

mohityadavx

Youngling
Rottweiler.

Read my post carefully i am contracting the fact that they are aggressive as i have seen myself rottweiler can be quite playful too.My 2 years old cousin used to put her hand in his mouth or stretched his tail or slapped him on his face but he never did anything infact was frightened if her.

Whatever u say ico but u obviously can't ignore the pressure they apply while biting is more than normal dog.

@ piyush If u like rottweiler don't pay any heed to lockjaw rumor its a complete manmade story!!!

It is not banned in entire country but in some distinct parts and u will have to check it with ur local municipal authority it is not banned in Gurgaon though.

Last edited:

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
First of all correct the terminology. You don't buy a pet. You adopt a pet.

I voted for Labrador.

Make sure you are ready to shoulder the responsibility of keeping. Your pet will be a family member, and at no point of time, you should abandon it. I don't mean it to you, but there are many people who have adopted pets and then left them to die when they couldn't handle it. That is moronic IMO, and I consider that as a murder. Don't take this point wrongly please, just putting it across.

Anyway good luck. A pup is his/her first year is indeed difficult to handle, but it's also enjoyable at the same time. You should love the experience of keeping a pet.

Offtopic : A time will come when some species will purchase "Humans" as pets..

There was a time humans were purchased as "pets". Only difference being they were called slaves.

Sarath

iDota
Golden retriever coz thats the only one my friend has.
Oh yeah labrador was a fine dog only that it scared me (any dog does) but it was quite calm and not aggressive at all (?)

Pets are atleast loved. Slaves dont even get compassion.
There was a time humans were purchased as "pets". Only difference being they were called slaves.

Edited to tell you dont count my opinion. I know nothing about dogs or cats. I only wanted a turtle which I still havent got.

OP
Piyush

Piyush

Lanaya
Rottweiler.

this will be my first dog
will it be safe
i've heard that rottweilers only listen to the owner and nobody else(not even sister/brother/etc. of owner)
PS:your pet was named as Angel ?

1st question, will this be your 1st dog?

yes, as an owner
though i've have a good experience with them in the past

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah
There is nothing like XYZ breed only listens to owners and nobody else. A dog becomes what you train him to be.

OP
Piyush

Piyush

Lanaya
First of all correct the terminology. You don't buy a pet. You adopt a pet.

I voted for Labrador.

Make sure you are ready to shoulder the responsibility of keeping. Your pet will be a family member, and at no point of time, you should abandon it. I don't mean it to you, but there are many people who have adopted pets and then left them to die when they couldn't handle it. That is moronic IMO, and I consider that as a murder. Don't take this point wrongly please, just putting it across.

Anyway good luck. A pup is his/her first year is indeed difficult to handle, but it's also enjoyable at the same time. You should love the experience of keeping a pet.

yes..thanks , please edit the title accordingly.
and of course i'm not going to abandon my pet at any cost
i love them more than my computer life :D

@ piyush If u like rottweiler don't pay any heed to lockjaw rumor its a complete manmade story!!!
what is this rumor?

mohityadavx

Youngling
^^ Actually its said that rottweiler when bites their teeth get stuck in flush in such a way that the jaw gets interlocked and then fang only come out by tearing the flash its all nonesense. Pay no heed 2 it. There is no lockjaw breed some people will say don't buy mastiff , pitbull, rottweiler as they have lockjaw , some of them have heard rumors and others are those breeders who don't have availability of that dog

Top Bottom