Vixta: the Linux that looks like Vista!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
will Ubuntu with compiz run fine with my intel 945 GCCR onboard graphix?
I'm not sure, but you need to edit /etc/X11/xorg.cong and find the line which says Option “AccelMethod” “XXA” and change it to Option “AccelMethod” “EXA”.

I suppose this intel chipset was blacklisted in compiz (dunno the status now) coz Intel refused to provide drivers. When open source people volunteered to write drivers themselves Intel refused to give documentation for the chip.

I dunno whats the state now. 965 is surely blacklisted, tho there are methods to make it work under compiz but that results in jerky video playback. Blame Intel for that!

both Gnome and Kde are resource hungry as they are full grown Desktop Environments.

Still Gnome runs fine with 128MB memory(Personal experiance) although you cannot expect fancy things(compiz etc) runs on it :p
if u tweak well, gnome can manage with 96mb.... knoppix is running tweaked kde, so it can manage with 128mb for running kde+ooo and 96 for only kde

Well this was an old thread. Why you guys bumped it ?
my bad. sorry:mrgreen:

Last edited:

Cyrus_the_virus

Unmountable Boot Volume
has anyone really tried xfce? (I guess I spelled that right)

I've heard that it's the most balanced GUI between effects and resources.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'am wondering why digit haven't included it with the mag yet :!

They should also provide linux-xp !

I'll request for the above two distros on next month as this months request period is over :(

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
has anyone really tried xfce? (I guess I spelled that right)
Yep, couple of months back. While its a good UI I do find it limiting in some cases. For e.g I cudn't easily create shortcuts on desktops etc. I'm sure small things like that would've been fixed, Rayraven can give us more info as he uses xfce.

utsav

damn busy...
I'am wondering why digit haven't included it with the mag yet :!

They should also provide linux-xp !

I'll request for the above two distros on next month as this months request period is over :(

maybe MS wil sue them :D

ray|raven

Think Zen.
Xfce is the best balance between features and resource usage IMO.
I personally feel Gnome is too bloated.
Xfce offers the perfect balance for me,
On my system , gnome uses up abt 100megs on startup,
Xfce is less than 50, With the composite features turned on.
Beat that for resource usage with good looks.

@infra_red_dude,
Creating launchers on the desktop is a wee-bit different than what we are used to.
Instead of right-clicking on the desktop, right-click on a launcher,
and you will get an option to create a new launcher.
This is some what un-traditional and will take getting used to.
However, you could also create launchers on the panel and drag them onto the desktop.
Xfce uses right click menu on desktop to bring up the system menu,
there's no right-click menu like in gnome.

Regards,
ray

Cyrus_the_virus

Unmountable Boot Volume
Xfce overhyped. :mad:

Disagree. There is nothing that is overhype about Xfce. It's known for it's low system resource usage and simple interface. It's favorite among system admins for mass deployment in offices for it's simplicity and easy of use.;)

Heres a new distro called sam linux with the xfce desktop, try it out yourself and give the verdict:
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80261

Disagree. There is nothing that is overhype about Xfce. It's known for it's low system resource usage and simple interface. It's favorite among system admins for mass deployment in offices for it's simplicity and easy of use.;)

Heres a new distro called sam linux with the xfce desktop, try it out yourself and give the verdict:
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80261
I use it, and especially when talking about Xubuntu, its a bloat. I guess a bit of tweaking may fix it, but its pointless developing something like it. I think Icebuntu or Fluxbuntu must be made the main ubuntu for low end systems, instead of the stripped down gnome(meaning xfce) running Xubuntu. The only advantage it has is that good apps made for Xubuntu which have innovative resource saving, features, etc can easily be transfered to the main Ubuntu distribution.

ray|raven

Think Zen.
@MetalHeadGautham,
Please try before you say smthing like that.
Xfce is no way a stripped down gnome.
Just coz they both use gtk+ libraries doesnt mean xfce is a rip off of gnome.
Get yourself the zenwalk live cd @ www.zenwalk.org
and you'll see how responsive and fast xfce truly is.
Xubuntu is bloated i agree too,
IMO 2 reasons :
1. They added quite a lot of gnome libraries into it.
2. Ubuntu itself is quite slow to boot,And xubuntu is supposed to be used on older systems and hence boots even slower.

I Also saw a post of urs in the SAM Linux thread,
The panel look and feel depends on the gtkrc file,
It controls what background is set for the panel and how the buttons behave.
Xfce panel will look no different to the gnome panel on a same theme.
if you want to see how a good xfce panel can look,
Try looking at my screenies in the Screenshot thread.

Regards,
ray

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom