Virus problem

just_asim

100% GENUINE
I suspect my laptop is infected by virus and the anti-virus has also been made corrupt by it, my question is - now how can I clean my laptop (don't want to format and reinstall OS) and reinstall the antivirus.

OS - WINDOWS HOME SP3

nims11

BIOS Terminator
try an online scanner or a boot-time scanner. An online scanner like Free ESET Online Antivirus Scanner should help. you may try some other online scanners too..

OP
J

just_asim

100% GENUINE
Any offline suggestions...my net connection is a bit slow..so it may take hours to complete...
try an online scanner or a boot-time scanner. An online scanner like Free ESET Online Antivirus Scanner should help. you may try some other online scanners too..

nims11

BIOS Terminator
online scan guarantees a scan using latest virus definition. the online scanners first downloads the definitions and then performs the scan in offline mode, so you will only require your internet connection to dwnload the scanner and the definitions. Thus, i recommend to take the pain and perform an online scan.

even if you use a boot-time scanner, i think they will also need internet connection to update their definitions.

Piyush

Lanaya
the best option already recommended
or else u should reinstall the antivirus and update its definitions
but first option is my choice too

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
install ComboFix & scan your system. but its a high risk software so it may do more damage then the viruses. use it only if you are sure your system is infected.

ELSE

use McAfee AVERT Stinger (7Mb, no installation) & scan your system. delete anything it finds else the virus mayn't allow the installation of A/V softwares. then install Avast! Free Edition 6 & Emsisoft Anti-Malware 5 & SuperAntiSpyware 4.

Anish

Spectre
Get a latest k7 total security installation disk (I mean the disk when u purchase it). Ask it for from your friends or any store, then while running the setup with the cd, it will prompt to scan your system before installing k7.. much better option if no access to online :)

OP
J

just_asim

100% GENUINE
Thanks! All for the valuable suggestion.
So if I'm going for online scan should I unistall my antivirus first and perform the scan or let it remain installed and perform the SCAN.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
its a virus removal tool & it may change registry value & may edit some critical windows file. i have never used it so not very much sure.

nims11

BIOS Terminator
i used combofix long time ago when i faced the same prob and i had a dial up connection that time. didnt do any harm to me but niether it helped me.

Top Bottom