virus creating .exe files in external hdd

Status
Not open for further replies.

manishrpvv

Broken In
I have a problem that in my external hdd a virus is creating " *.exe " files with original file name.exe

for example if my original file name is
1. " seagate.ico" then virus creates a file named " seagate.ico.exe" which is a executable file of size 1.74MB

2. " lec01.mp4" then virus creates a file named " lec01.mp4.exe" which is a executable file of size 1.74MB

it is creating these types of file for every original file present on disk and of exact size 1732 bytes

when i tried to permanently delete them by "shift + delete " they they are unable to delete

after scanning through antivirus avast and avira they are telling that no virus detected

pls help

I have a problem that in my external hdd a virus is creating " *.exe " files with original file name.exe

for example if my original file name is
1. " seagate.ico" then virus creates a file named " seagate.ico.exe" which is a executable file of size 1.74MB

2. " lec01.mp4" then virus creates a file named " lec01.mp4.exe" which is a executable file of size 1.74MB

it is creating these types of file for every original file present on disk and of exact size 1732 bytes

when i tried to permanently delete them by "shift + delete " they they are unable to delete

after scanning through antivirus avast and avira they are telling that no virus detected

pls help

note that original file is not hidden it is seeing as it is

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
disconnect the external HDD .. Download the latest version of Avira rescue disc .. write it on a CD .. boot pc with it and start a entire hdd/system scan .. remove all the viruses .. install latest version of any good av app .. update it .. scan the hdd again .. if no viruses found connect the extrenal hdd and scan it using the av.

mitraark

Decrepit
You may want to view System + Hidden files and manually delete as many unwanted files you see in your HDD .

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
@manishrpvv: your HDD is infected by a worm which replicates files with .exe...
all u need is a good updated antivirus (Avast,Avira etc)

Flash

Lost in speed
I've encountered one like this previously in my old Symbian mobile.
But that created [Foldername].exe file.

OP
M

manishrpvv

Broken In
disconnect the external HDD .. Download the latest version of Avira rescue disc .. write it on a CD .. boot pc with it and start a entire hdd/system scan .. remove all the viruses .. install latest version of any good av app .. update it .. scan the hdd again .. if no viruses found connect the extrenal hdd and scan it using the av.

thnx it helped me a lot

bubusam13

Human
ok... I have a pretty damn easy solution for you

search that folder for *.exe files. Now you know which exes to delete right ? And dont forget to show hidden folders, system files and extensions first.

Flash

Lost in speed
ok... I have a pretty damn easy solution for you

search that folder for *.exe files. Now you know which exes to delete right ? And dont forget to show hidden folders, system files and extensions first.

Whatif the user delete real .exe file by mistake?
Dont say me to restore from recycle bin!!

bubusam13

Human
Whatif the user delete real .exe file by mistake?
Dont say me to restore from recycle bin!!

Restore from recycle bin. I even forgot there exits one. I shift+delete. Anyway, I expect the user to have that little knowledge of what are stored in his storage medium.
"Now you know which exes to delete right ?" I mean that

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think Op has solved his issue ..

@ Op - if you need just PM any mod to re-open this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom