video effects

Status
Not open for further replies.

satdrbe

Broken In
I have seen videos which are converted entirely in to black and white except the the individual or the kids who retain their colour to highlight them. How is this done and which is the software for it. can anyone guide me plz?

TheHumanBot

Padawan
its not that simple as it sounds
dont know how they do but if i have to do that
i will save all frames as png open it in photoshop and make
selection for each frame then apply some commands to make
background black & person will stay colored :)

Krow

Crowman
Yeah exactly, either they apply it to each frame, or maybe they superimpose two videos in after effects or something similar. One is Black and White and the other is the same clip in colour. They must then be doing some really hard processing to get the job done.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
As far as I know, they use some technique while filming, such as a predefined color is only prominent as rest are black and white.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
its not that simple as it sounds
dont know how they do but if i have to do that
i will save all frames as png open it in photoshop and make
selection for each frame then apply some commands to make
background black & person will stay colored :)

OMG :eeksign:if they have 3000 frames.....then :lol:

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
Ok this is how to do it. You will need a bunch of masks, or one mask, depending on how you have shot and what you have shot. Depending on the software you are comfortable with, the actual tools will be different. Tell us which software you wanna use, this is how to do it in Premiere.
Add the "Leave Colour" mask in Video Effects. Select the colour you want to preserve, all other colours go b/w. You will need to increase the contrast before, you do this, or the image will look too dull. To highlight just the indivudal, you will need a bunch of masks, this is for the hair, the skin, and the clothes AT LEAST. If the shirt has a colourful logo, you are in trouble. Then you will need to add a 16 point garbage matte around the logo on the shirt, and keep two layers of video, one for the b/w version, and one for the colour version. Also, preserving reds and yellows are a little crazy because of the skin colour. A person with a red/yellow/orange/brown shirt against a blue-green background is the easiest and smoothest to do. If you can post one image from the video you are going to edit, I can give you the settings here.
If you are filming, the professional cameras let you do this when you are filming itself, and this is how it is mostly done in ads and movies, as Rhitwick pointed out.

OP
S

satdrbe

Broken In
Ok this is how to do it. You will need a bunch of masks, or one mask, depending on how you have shot and what you have shot. Depending on the software you are comfortable with, the actual tools will be different. Tell us which software you wanna use, this is how to do it in Premiere.
Add the "Leave Colour" mask in Video Effects. Select the colour you want to preserve, all other colours go b/w. You will need to increase the contrast before, you do this, or the image will look too dull. To highlight just the indivudal, you will need a bunch of masks, this is for the hair, the skin, and the clothes AT LEAST. If the shirt has a colourful logo, you are in trouble. Then you will need to add a 16 point garbage matte around the logo on the shirt, and keep two layers of video, one for the b/w version, and one for the colour version. Also, preserving reds and yellows are a little crazy because of the skin colour. A person with a red/yellow/orange/brown shirt against a blue-green background is the easiest and smoothest to do. If you can post one image from the video you are going to edit, I can give you the settings here.
If you are filming, the professional cameras let you do this when you are filming itself, and this is how it is mostly done in ads and movies, as Rhitwick pointed out.

thank you for the guidance. I think the software is too big to download and also I am not a professional. I just saw it and thought of doing the same effect in my sons video but the procedure as u said may be too tough for me.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
Don't give up yet! It's not that hard. You will need a slightly advanced software, but Premiere Pro is not hard to find. All the terms make it look complicated. Here is the same thing in three very easy steps.

*i47.tinypic.com/242wu4w.png

Right click and import the video file. Select it from the directory. Then drag and drop the file to the bottom part of the window, which is the Timeline.

*i46.tinypic.com/102mhia.png

The bottom right corner will have the video effects. Under the "Colour Correction" folder, there will be the "leave colour" option. Drag and drop this on the clip.

*i50.tinypic.com/33ejw94.png

In the centre-top window, will be the effects options. Use the "Colour to leave" picker to select the colour. In this one, I chose the purple colour.
Then, discovered something (thanks to you), In the Match Colours drop down box, match using "Hue" instead of "RGB". Works much better, and there you have it!

Last edited:

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
@anorion: Hey is the above software Adobe Premiere Pro....:)

but the question was how to make everything blck & white except the characters who will
remain colored...ryt...but in the above screenshot everything is B/W :))

thais

Right off the assembly line
It's really complicated, i just can convert video to black and white video effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom