VIA Nano beats Atom

Status
Not open for further replies.

4T7

Journeyman
The Atom impressed many when it was released earlier this year, quickly becoming a prime choice for anyone building low-power PCs. It was directly competing with Via's Nano because of this. Some initial performance benchmarks showed the Atom as quite more potent than the Nano, though Via claimed there were other reasons involved such as defective hardware used in some benchmarks.

Via wants a second chance, and new benchmarks pitting the Atom against the Nano show some very interesting results. Specifically, when competing against the single-core Atom, the Nano actually comes ahead in just about everything – it isn't until the dual-core Atom enters that the Nano has something to worry about. Coupled with the fact that Via's boards are more expandable than Intel's, the Nano certainly has plenty of room to roam.

The Nano also managed to best the Atom in idle power consumption, an important figure for people who want to use them for always-on systems like media center PCs. Performance aside, it is good to see that Via has not been ousted from the market by the Atom.

Source

I remember reading somewhere that VIA Nano single core can actually play crysis when paired with an 8600GT. I downloaded the video too. Its AWSSOME.

But yeah, Atom is still Intel's gold mine. I doubt VIA has managed to produce a processor that cheap (on the manufacturers side). I guess Intel would just live on the hype and continue selling their CPUs at prices similar to their competition, at around 30$, but when it feels the heat, it can always lower the price, since the net manufacturing cost is just 15$ per CPU.

And if Intel decides to push the Dual Core Atoms to their laptop range, I doubt there would be any competition left at all against intel.

And remember that subnotebooks mostly run winxphomesp3 and Linux2.6. VIA has been known to have horrible graphics drivers for linux, while intel is the company that supports linux the most, with all distributions featuring out of box compatibility for intel. This means that there is a higher chance that Atom notebooks will be bought, compared to Nano notebooks.

zhuxiaonuan

Right off the assembly line
The Nano also managed to best the Atom in idle power consumption, an important figure for people who want to use them for always-on systems like media center PCs. Performance aside, it is good to see that Via has not been ousted from the market by the Atomultrasound gel

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
I remember reading somewhere that VIA Nano single core can actually play crysis when paired with an 8600GT. I downloaded the video too. Its AWSSOME.

But yeah, Atom is still Intel's gold mine. I doubt VIA has managed to produce a processor that cheap (on the manufacturers side). I guess Intel would just live on the hype and continue selling their CPUs at prices similar to their competition, at around 30$, but when it feels the heat, it can always lower the price, since the net manufacturing cost is just 15$ per CPU.

And if Intel decides to push the Dual Core Atoms to their laptop range, I doubt there would be any competition left at all against intel.

And remember that subnotebooks mostly run winxphomesp3 and Linux2.6. VIA has been known to have horrible graphics drivers for linux, while intel is the company that supports linux the most, with all distributions featuring out of box compatibility for intel. This means that there is a higher chance that Atom notebooks will be bought, compared to Nano notebooks.

It waz up in yout-be too. Astonishing!

IronManForever

IronMan; Ready to Roll...
MetalheadGautham said:
I do not see why the nano or for-that-matter Atom, cannot play CRISIS with a GPU like 8600GT. I'm sure that we CAN lower the physics calculation; as well as play in easy/normal difficulty for lighter AI; in the settings.
Even If you dont change the physics/AI, I dont think that Atom wouldnt be able to; since similar Celerons can.

Last edited:

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
Well, I heard of a new AMD procc X2 3400e low power which beats the E4300 and this one's with TDP22W

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom