Utorrent question

Status
Not open for further replies.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Do you mean, these points:

Can you explain why its against the rules? And if it is, then why uTorrent provides such settings?

Basically they came out on new torrent client revisions. More can be read here about the pros and cons of DHT. Having DHT and PEX on will cause your data not to be recorded by the PT servers and can be seen as circumvention techniques. And get a ban from the tracker.

Good answer on the ratios...!

OP
Zangetsu

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
How much Private Trackers charge for registering?

Q: I downloaded a .torrent file 3weeks back & now if I use the same .torrent file to start downloading without D/L the new .torrent file,will there be any difference like speed/seeds etc? :grin:

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
^^ I dont think, there would be any difference. The difference would be only when, the file on the server updates, with new trackers, I suppose.
And since you can't be sure that file has been updated in the mean-time, so its better to d/w the torrent file again.
But if you are getting decent speeds from the torrent, there is no need too.

Basically they came out on new torrent client revisions. More can be read here about the pros and cons of DHT. Having DHT and PEX on will cause your data not to be recorded by the PT servers and can be seen as circumvention techniques. And get a ban from the tracker.

Quite a useful article there. Thanks.

This is what I understand (in plain English):
DHT provides a way to hide that we have downloaded a certain file. So this means, other peers would not be able to connect with us. And we would not be able to connect with someone else, who have Enabled DHT.
And by definition which would be counter-productive to P2P networks. So, it can enforce a ban from the tracker.

So this means,
1. We can enable DHT, which would protect our privacy.
2. Trackers can detect the client who have Enabled DHT.
3. Trackers can block the client, who have Enabled DHT.
4. So, we should not enable DHT. DHT is bad for your Torrent health!
Got it!

But, banning a client, must be done by blocking the person's IP address. So, will it mean, that person is forbidden to d/w from THAT torrent, or from downloading from ANY torrent, of the website?

abhinav_sinha

Journeyman
@Zangetsu: I supposed that u needed a solution for your your problem but the thing went too far off the track. Although I think the track is good.There were lot of myths among us regarding torrent as I see now.Even those using for long times had some misconceptions.Its good to get them clear.
I used to limit my UL (5k) thinking it will boost my Download. Though I generally used to get speed to the max (50-60k)sometimes not though. I shall be checking the diff. and will post the result although it may take time.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
^^ AFAIK, OP's problem was solved at post#27 only. What's following now is general discussion on Torrent, and like you yourself said, it's a good track. After all, we are still not Off-Topics, since we are still under the scope of the title of this thread (Utorrent question). :))

Keeping UL speed to the minimum, is a quite common misconception, that I have seen here. The fact is, you can't maintain a good ration, unless you have a good UL rate. And since, DL and UL are mutually exclusive, I think it's not even a problem at all. WIN-WIN!

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
But, banning a client, must be done by blocking the person's IP address. So, will it mean, that person is forbidden to d/w from THAT torrent, or from downloading from ANY torrent, of the website?

During time of ID creation a passkey is created for each ID (and the IP is recorded too). They will in turn ban your passkey. Usually PTs (most of them) only allow one registration per one IP. I remember when I got an invite for a PT -- it would not let me register cause of Airtel's IP (duh..?). So I used a Tata Photon stick (dynamic IP) and registered. But I can torrent away now using my Airtel node.

Zangetsu:
Memberships are mostly free, but by invite. Infact if they fine out you 'bought' and invite it is perma. ban...! :) People who give invites are really careful. If their invitee messes up, they also get banned.

At times PTs open up for registration (when they purge out rouge users/ban people/refresh data bases) example a PT has a capacity of 10,000. Now after all of the above they have 500 free slots. So for few days they open for free registration. Else you have to wait for a personal invite. Members earn invites as their ratios are maintained and they get legacy membership time.

Last edited:

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
@asingh:
I see no advantages in getting an invite from PT's. If you have a healthy torrent, which is giving a decent speed, I don't think, there is a need for any PTs.
Are there any?

abhinav_sinha

Journeyman
What's following now is general discussion on Torrent, and like you yourself said, it's a good track. After all, we are still not Off-Topics, since we are still under the scope of the title of this thread (Utorrent question). :))
Very clever of you to point out! I should have made my statement clearer.
It was a rather good thing that the title covers a broad spectrum so even we got away from the main problem and continuing a general discussion we are still under the heading.
BTW got some results on dl and ul setting but won't disclose until tested properly.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
@asingh:
I see no advantages in getting an invite from PT's. If you have a healthy torrent, which is giving a decent speed, I don't think, there is a need for any PTs.
Are there any?

Actually there are:

1. Difficult to find stuff. Example an old band discography. TV serials.
2. Guaranteed quality content. The admins verify the content.
3. Mostly available seeders.
4. Forced ration contention -- so you are following the torrent ethics.
5. Better speed (provided your line is fine) since seeders will be there.
6. Free leech packages which are awesome.

:)

OP
Zangetsu

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
It was a rather good thing that the title covers a broad spectrum so even we got away from the main problem and continuing a general discussion we are still under the heading.

Hehe..I knew there will be doubts so I named this thread like dat only ;-)

@asingh: for point 2..I wud say dat in Public Torrents before downloading read comments posted by other users coz file cud be fake....& also there r some public torrent sites where uploader has to give a proof like if he/she uploading a video then a screenshot will be mandatory...otherwise file wont be uploaded...:grin:

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^^
Many a time I have "acquired" stuff from public trackers and it turned out crum...!

On PT it is guaranteed WYSIWYG...!

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
then u must have not read the comments or no comments were there :lol:

I did read it...always do. Plus on public trackers it is easy to get away by not following tit-for-tat. :(

Any content from the site. They cannot download the .torrent to their system, which translates to, cannot DL the content via p2p.

abhinav_sinha

Journeyman
Hehe..I knew there will be doubts so I named this thread like dat only ;-)
:clap2:Gave a good thought before posting. Others should think this way.

while using a portable version of µtorrent I came across the default saving directory as "../../download" which opens c:/downloads.
Although we can manually change them but can it be set so that it directly goes to the pen drive? Not like allocating supposing its h:/or i:/ or j:/ drive and setting it as h:/download but some thing like "../../download" otherwise its ok.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^^
You can. But the pen drive's access volume letter "e,f,g" can change. The client might not be able to find the path.

abhinav_sinha

Journeyman
I know I have to always load the correct parameter.
I want to know about "../.." Does there exist something like it even for other drives too. like d e or f.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
while using a portable version of µtorrent I came across the default saving directory as "../../download" which opens c:/downloads.
Although we can manually change them but can it be set so that it directly goes to the pen drive? Not like allocating supposing its h:/or i:/ or j:/ drive and setting it as h:/download but some thing like "../../download" otherwise its ok.

Ok... portable version of uTorrent! Never used one. So tried now.

Can't tell if I understood your question correctly.
But, wouldn't "..\..\download" path is a relative one, and will point to the folder, from which the portable version of uTorrent was executed?
So, how the path, "..\..\download" can possibly point to C:\downloads, except only in the case, when uTorrent was executed from C:\.
So, if you have the portable version of uTorrent in your Pen drive, then all the data downloaded from it, will always go to the Pen drive only! Isn't so?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom