Utorrent question

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
Zangetsu

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
1. Public tracker: keep all at unlimited.
I keep my U/L:1kB/s & D/L: unlimited & I get 25~30kBps....

so by the rule if keep my U/L limite to unlimited then will I get more speed than 30kBps

AFAIK upload & download should r not compliement of each other...coz
p2p works on pieces....so ur machine will download the pieces it need & uploads the pieces it has downloaded...:cool:

The seeds are the number in brackets. You should be able to connect to all. Else you have a port/connectivity/throttling issue. Observe your client.

How to connect to all..any settings needed or its automatic?

sujoyp

Grand Master
Bro u r somewhat wrong..I have read at many places that some trackers check the upload speed...If they find that u r blocking it they wont give u dowlaod speed at full throttel...or some tracker would even block you.

Better put at least 10-15kbps to keep safe side

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
I keep my U/L:1kB/s & D/L: unlimited & I get 25~30kBps....

so by the rule if keep my U/L limite to unlimited then will I get more speed than 30kBps

AFAIK upload & download should r not compliement of each other...coz
p2p works on pieces....so ur machine will download the pieces it need & uploads the pieces it has downloaded...:cool:

How to connect to all..any settings needed or its automatic?

Yes, the UL should remain open to max. The client/protocol/tracker combination is smart enough to realize that you are not giving back enough, so you will not get quickly the pieces. It is basically tit-for-tat.

UL/DL are compliments of each other. Your 'piece' logic is correct, but it is the speed which matters right...? If you UL is minimal and DL open to maximum the P2P system assigns you a leech status and you WILL get the pieces, but at a slower rate. As I said try it. Throttle your UL speeds (vary them) and keep DL open. One file with multiple seed (any famous movie). See the difference in DL. The change is not immediate, but takes a view minutes.

Observe..!

Will post some screen shots of settings tonight.

Last edited:
OP
Zangetsu

Zangetsu

Bro u r somewhat wrong..I have read at many places that some trackers check the upload speed...If they find that u r blocking it they wont give u dowlaod speed at full throttel...or some tracker would even block you.

Better put at least 10-15kbps to keep safe side

but if the ISP speed is 256kBps then speed will nor go beyond 30kBps..

@asingh: I give u example...

File Size: 4GB
Seeds: 40~45
D/L Rate: Unlimited
U/L Rate: 15kBps (as suggested by sujoyp)
ISP Plan: 256kBps
How much time will it take to download & also the D/L speed in above case?
will it take less time if I set the U/L rate to 30kBps

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^^
It is hard to predict exact timings on torrent clients due to the seed and ratio problems.

Basically to get it as fast as possible (and not on PT) open both UL/DL to maximum.

OP
Zangetsu

Zangetsu

^^
It is hard to predict exact timings on torrent clients due to the seed and ratio problems.

Basically to get it as fast as possible (and not on PT) open both UL/DL to maximum.

So, substitute ur values above & tell how much it took in ur case
while setting UL/DL speed to max...

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
So, substitute ur values above & tell how much it took in ur case
while setting UL/DL speed to max...

:) That is a difficult one. Cause I am seeding like 17 movies and DL'ing like 1 usually in a 24 hour cycle. So I cannot equate exact timings. For this to happen I would need to pick one movie, start the DL process, leave UL/DL fully open, and stop all my seeds. Which I do not want to, since my ratio will go bezerk. When ever I DL (no matter how small) from a PT, I always keep a lot of seeding open, so ratio is balanced. It is impossible to DL say a 1 GB file and upload it also to 1 GB count, cause the upload is less. To balance this multiple files are kept on in 'seed mode'. These type of sites ban immediate.

Will try it tonight if I can....cannot promise though.

On the other hand, why can you not try what I suggested. Just grab a public tracker file and start it. You can see your timings in the morning.

OP
Zangetsu

Zangetsu

:) That is a difficult one. Cause I am seeding like 17 movies and DL'ing like 1 usually in a 24 hour cycle. So I cannot equate exact timings. For this to happen I would need to pick one movie, start the DL process, leave UL/DL fully open, and stop all my seeds. Which I do not want to, since my ratio will go bezerk. When ever I DL (no matter how small) from a PT, I always keep a lot of seeding open, so ratio is balanced. It is impossible to DL say a 1 GB file and upload it also to 1 GB count, cause the upload is less. To balance this multiple files are kept on in 'seed mode'. These type of sites ban immediate.

Will try it tonight if I can....cannot promise though.

On the other hand, why can you not try what I suggested. Just grab a public tracker file and start it. You can see your timings in the morning.

I was not saying u do it...I was just asking to fill the details coz
u must have downloaded so many files & have par knowledge on dat...
Btw whats ur ISP speed (D/L)

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
I have a 1Mbps non FUP'ed wired broadband.

1 GB roughly takes 2.5-3 Hours depending on the average.

Some of my files show an average between 57-110 Kbps. Again it is the torrent logic and it can vary.

Ideally in your case it seems you are DL'ing from public trackers. Just set both UL/DL to unlimited.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
I keep both too unlimited on the client. But each .torrents UL/DL can be set individually. Basically if you are on a public tracker it hardly matters, but one has to be careful on Private Trackers (PT). For PTs the ratio is critical. If someone is just starting an account on a PT then they can easily surpass their DL vs. UL limit and get a bad ratio or low ration. In this case the UL should be same as DL, cause on PTs the DL happens quick and UL is difficult. I have decent ratios on my PTs so all is open.

Rule;

1. Public tracker: keep all at unlimited.
2. Private tracker: keep it balanced till your ratio is high, then open them up.

Bacially on PTs it is very easy to receive but difficult to upload, cause there are more uploaders then downloaders, but ratio maintenance is mandatory.

A bit confused with Public and Private trackers part. :confused: How to differentiate between the two?

The seeds are the number in brackets. You should be able to connect to all. Else you have a port/connectivity/throttling issue. Observe your client.

Is that even possible? To connect to ALL the seeds that are in braces? I mean, I am using torrents since ages, and never seen any torrent use ALL the seeds! The actual seeds which are being used always remains a lot lower than those given in braces!

For eg: In the screenshot you posted, I can see 35 (2313) under the 2nd torrent. So that means, only 35 connected from actual 2313 seeds!

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^^
Public Trackers : You do not need to log into the site to DL the .torrent file. Your ratios are not monitored.

Private : Opposite of above.

Sorry, number outside brackets is seeds. Sorry.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
^^
Public Trackers : You do not need to log into the site to DL the .torrent file. Your ratios are not monitored.

Private : Opposite of above.

So, it means, basically all the torrents I have used ever is a Public Tracker!
Ok, so it also means, I don't need to maintain the ratios... but morality says, I should. After all, this is how Torrent works :))

Sorry, number outside brackets is seeds. Sorry.

I hate to point out, but I think, you are again confused. :lol:
The numbers inside the brackets ARE SEEDS. And the numbers outside are the ACTUAL number of seeds, which is connected at the given point of time!
I think you need sleep. :flu-sleepy1: ... Gud night. ;-)

^^ now i am getting confused in all this discussion

if public trackers do not monitor ratio, then what is the need ??

granted that a balance must be maintained but that may rest till we have downloaded our content and then open up for seeding to restore the ratio.
this works for me and there were very few occasion where i hit the wall due to private tracker announcement. i generally wait for 1-2 weeks and then resume my download at relatively high speeds.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
So, it means, basically all the torrents I have used ever is a Public Tracker!
Ok, so it also means, I don't need to maintain the ratios... but morality says, I should. After all, this is how Torrent works :))

I hate to point out, but I think, you are again confused. :lol:
The numbers inside the brackets ARE SEEDS. And the numbers outside are the ACTUAL number of seeds, which is connected at the given point of time!
I think you need sleep. :flu-sleepy1: ... Gud night. ;-)

Why hate buddy. You corrected me. Am no god...!

This is de facto:
Seeds 3(10) means there are 10 people available uploading the complete file and the 3 means your connected and downloading from three of them.

The Peers 3(13) means that there are 13 people downloading the file like you. These 10 people will also be uploading parts of the file but do not yet have the full file. The 3 means you are connected and downloading from 3 of them.

^^ now i am getting confused in all this discussion

if public trackers do not monitor ratio, then what is the need ??

granted that a balance must be maintained but that may rest till we have downloaded our content and then open up for seeding to restore the ratio.
this works for me and there were very few occasion where i hit the wall due to private tracker announcement. i generally wait for 1-2 weeks and then resume my download at relatively high speeds.

That is the difference between public and private. It is basics of P2P.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Why hate buddy. You corrected me. Am no god...!

This is de facto:
Seeds 3(10) means there are 10 people available uploading the complete file and the 3 means your connected and downloading from three of them.

This time you are totally correct ;)

BTW, found these tweaks to improve uTorrent speeds. Have to try and see if it works or not!
How to increase download speeds of uTorrent

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^^
Most are good, but some of them 7,8,9 for example are totally against PT rules. You will be shown as cheating, by what the client sends to the servers.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
^^
Most are good, but some of them 7,8,9 for example are totally against PT rules. You will be shown as cheating, by what the client sends to the servers.

Do you mean, these points:
7. Enable DHT Network: CHECKEDThis is recommended to be checked to improve speeds. More people will be available for sharing if this is checked.
8. Enable DHT for new torrents: CHECKED
9. Enable Peer Exchange: CHECKED

Can you explain why its against the rules? And if it is, then why uTorrent provides such settings?

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
what should be the value of ratio ?
and how is it calculated?

Ratio is calculated as, Total Uploading done / Total Downloading done.
It can be calculated for each torrent, as well as, for all the torrent, from the time Torrent application (uTorrent) was installed.

The ratio should be 1, which would mean, you have uploaded equal amount of data as much you have downloaded it.

To see individual ratio, right click, the top column of torrent window, and select Ratio.
To see complete ratio, select, Help and then Statistics.
Hope I helped :)

Piyush

Lanaya
yikes.....i have set my upload limit to 1 thinking that it will boost my dl speed
and thanks for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom