Utorrent question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
I have this doubt runing in my mind.....

I am using utorrent & i m downloading Ubuntu Live Bootable of around 700MB
40% is done....60% remaining....

I need to format my Windows 7 ultimate x64...
will the 40% downloaded data continue or start from 0% again in new installed OS :?:

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
If the DL folder for your file is not wiped off you can force it to restart. You will need to remount the .torrent to your torrent client, and the in the torrent settings change the directory to your DL folder. Then do a "force start" on the torrent, it will do a hash check and resume from xx% onwards.

OP
Zangetsu

Zangetsu

If the DL folder for your file is not wiped off you can force it to restart. You will need to remount the .torrent to your torrent client, and the in the torrent settings change the directory to your DL folder. Then do a "force start" on the torrent, it will do a hash check and resume from xx% onwards.

thanx..R u sure...coz after format i dnt wanna lose those 40% data.....:sad:

u mean....save the downloaded file in a folder in D drive..
format OS....then now in utorrent give the old .torrent file & give the save file path to location where the file is saved(40%)
is there a option of force restart????or its automatic???

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
You can right click the torrent on the client and force restart it. It is basically changing torrent directories. Works for me.

We always do it, when one wants to upload free leeches or continue seeds if directories change OR someone does what you are planning. The client has the capability to re-validate the folder contents vs. the .torrent file internals.

abhinav_sinha

Journeyman
Let me clear this(What I have already done several times). I downloaded some files of a torrent and left (it includes file done even only half the actual size) some other not wanting to download at that instant. then after finishing the download (it was saved in D drive) I deleted the torrent from the torrent application.
When I needed some more files of the same torrent I simply started the torrent and as the torrent destination folder has not been modified it simply checked the files and started the download.
Bottom line: As long as the folder in which download is to be done remains same you can resume the download any time.

abhinav_sinha

Journeyman
Then move the folder to other drive and set your preference of download in the application as the one to your downloaded folder.
Move the folder to D:/ and set preference in application as it was in c:/ just this time insted of c:/ it will be d:/Downloads but you have to restart the torrent loading after deleting it first from your application.

Last edited:

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Boooom.....my current download file is in C drive i.e C:/Downloads

:-(

I wish I was at home, would have made a screen shot for you.

See, basically there is a setting for the client (in preferences) -- Directories. You specify the DL folder and the completed DL folder there.

Now (before installation):

DL Folder : C\torrents_initial
DL Completed Folder : C\torrents_finished

After new installation:
DL Folder : D\torrents_initial
DL Completed Folder : D\torrents_finished

You show your torrent client the new directories, it does the hash check and resumes. You CAN change folders. Just the DL'ed portion(s) and .torrent file should remain intact. It is quite modular.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^^
And if for some reason the torrent does not start, right click on the torrent ROW, and do a "force start". It re-indexes, checks % DL'ed and resumes. Power of P2P...!
:)

OP
Zangetsu

Zangetsu

I wish I was at home, would have made a screen shot for you.

I shall be obliged if u do so :grin:

See, basically there is a setting for the client (in preferences) -- Directories. You specify the DL folder and the completed DL folder there.

Now (before installation):

DL Folder : C\torrents_initial
DL Completed Folder : C\torrents_finished

After new installation:
DL Folder : D\torrents_initial
DL Completed Folder : D\torrents_finished

You show your torrent client the new directories, it does the hash check and resumes. You CAN change folders. Just the DL'ed portion(s) and .torrent file should remain intact. It is quite modular.

torrents_initial & torrents_finished does the file name changes from initial to finished....

ok....is this the way to do it...

1)move the dircetory to D drive e.g: D:/DFolder
2)open u torrent open .torrent file & give the download save path D:/DFolder
3)utorrent will automatically #Check & continue from remaininf %downloaded

abhinav_sinha

Journeyman
1)Move your download directory to D:/(as you said its c:/Download now the path should be D:/Download)Make sure all the file even a file of u torrent will be there that too.
2)open u torrent and delete the torrent as it no longer will be detecting the download location.
3)Set u torrent preference to D:/Download.
4)Open the .torrent file and done.

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
1) Move the incomplete file to another partition.
2) Format/Install uTorrent
3) Open torrent (Don't start downloading)
4) Right click torrent from list, "advanced > Set download location" and select the incomlete file
5) Right click again, force recheck.
6) Thats it. Start downloading like normal.

pauldmps

Banned
There should be a file named something like this: "~uTorrentPartFile_18257EC.dat" in the same folder as your downloaded files. And it is not hidden.

ajai5777

Youngling
Go to your download folder of utorrent.You can see that iso with the full size 700MB even though its not completed, utorrent saves it as in full size.Then copy that file and the torrent file.Put that file in the download folder of utorrent in new OS then add the torrent file to utorrent.It'll resume from where it was stopped.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
so this .dat is also required in my new location to resume download :?:

The file you are currently DL'ing (at 40%) must be going to some folder right.

Just show the new .torrent file -- where the above folder has been copy pasted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom