Useful Freewares...

^^ i'll compile it into a text file, i think and forward it to Topgear who'll update the first post as its his..
and yes.. i'll do it that way only..
genre thingy after the initial Compiling.

but was also thinking of an Excel File. Cuz updating will be as easy as bread butter and also users will be able to sort out things and we can add hash tags as to what the software does. (because when we want a software, we may not have enough time to search the whole thing..)

edit : and should i do the link to TDF mention too ?? cuz most of the links in the first pages are dead and i have to search for the software manually and paste the link to original website..
so is there any need of mention of the link to the TDF posts ??

suggest me asap. cuz i will start then..
We can actually divide the work if possible. I think first we should make a list of just the software names, then add genre, then check if they still exist or not. Link to official page should also be added.

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
@harshil : that would make it more complex, i feel..
most of them exist, if not, their old versions are always available..
and links to official pages will be added

just to be sure : "We can actually divide the work if possible" .. what did you actually mean ?? you gonna also do the compiling ??

^ yeah, like I do the first 14 pages and you do the remaining 14 pages.

^ yeah, like I do the first 14 pages and you do the remaining 14 pages.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin

You can start by creating a Google doc, which you can later share (with or w/o restricted access) and later embed in a post of TDF.
Like this thread did: *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/gamerz/77391-upload-your-saved-games-here.html

Just a suggestion.

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
^^ k.. we'll do it that way, but first , wait for suggestions..

i was thinking of that..
but an excel file would be easy to compile.. and then , we can put it on G Docs..

and also on a Drop Box Account, and put the share link here..

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
my exams just ended now..
i'll try to compile up the Pages from the starting.. :wink:

great ;-)

We can actually divide the work if possible. I think first we should make a list of just the software names, then add genre, then check if they still exist or not. Link to official page should also be added.

now we got one more volunteer ;-)

^^ i'll compile it into a text file, i think and forward it to Topgear who'll update the first post as its his..
and yes.. i'll do it that way only..
genre thingy after the initial Compiling.

but was also thinking of an Excel File. Cuz updating will be as easy as bread butter and also users will be able to sort out things and we can add hash tags as to what the software does. (because when we want a software, we may not have enough time to search the whole thing..)

edit : and should i do the link to TDF mention too ?? cuz most of the links in the first pages are dead and i have to search for the software manually and paste the link to original website..
so is there any need of mention of the link to the TDF posts ??

buddy this thread was created by Akshay so the credit goes to him.

Now as for how to create the google doc here goes my idea :

First make some sheets for different genres of freewares ( like Utility, Productivity, Fun apps, Educational Apps etc... ) but not a single sheet - doing this in the first place will save us a lot of time later and make the whole thing much easier to manage..

every sheet should contain name, description, URL ( publisher ), TDF post Field this can be edited later - just add this field but if you are short on time no need for adding links or alternatively you can just post the userid of TDF member who has first posted the name of the freeware app on this thread.

Flash

Lost in speed
@mastercool -
- You can't hyperlink a word in Google docs. You've to embed it separately.
- If not using G-docs, Excel is the smartest choice. You can format the contents in excel, paste it directly as a post, tweak the "table borders" and you're done;
- Advise not to put screenshots, as it'l be a tedious task for you to hunt the "perfect" screenshots for a s/w.

- Also keep/upload that excel file somewhere so that formatting will be easier, when g-docs is not used.

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
@mastercool -
- You can't hyperlink a word in Google docs. You've to embed it separately.
- If not using G-docs, Excel is the smartest choice. You can format the contents in excel, paste it directly as a post, tweak the "table borders" and you're done;
- Advise not to put screenshots, as it'l be a tedious task for you to hunt the "perfect" screenshots for a s/w.

- Also keep/upload that excel file somewhere so that formatting will be easier, when g-docs is not used.

thanks for the suggestions.
though i couldn't understand the first point clearly..
do you mind writing it in some bacha lingo ?? :p

i think Topgear too had us all clear to fly on the Excel option (he said "sheets").. so i'll go for Excel..
if it is not doing good on Gdocs, DropBox and many other sharing websites, above all, our own TDF, further we all will have it downloaded to our systems..

yup.. screenshots remain cancelled as of now.. it'll be a lot tedious too..

about the fourth point, i think it might be better if i upload it on Dropbox, its efficient, and almost no problem occurred to me while using it..
and once the Excel File is updated, the same will be uploaded again on to the servers..
so i'm starting doing it..

@Topgear : sorry, ekdum mind se nikal gaya.. (edited now.. :p)

and the thing about more than one sheet..
i think, we make one big excel sheet, then we put the genre's and we can always sort them, so after sorting, the'll be categorized to different Sheets as well.

Flash

Lost in speed
You can't hyperlink a word in Google docs. You've to embed it separately.
This is not possible in G-docs - Ccleaner .
So you've to manually copy-paste the URL in order to go the desired location.

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
@dashing.sujoy : are you asking for OCR capabilities ???
if not then anybody known to any pdf to doc converter with good OCR capabilities ??

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you have Office 2013, you can use MS Word as it can open PDFs itself.

thanks for the suggestions.
though i couldn't understand the first point clearly..
do you mind writing it in some bacha lingo ?? :p

i think Topgear too had us all clear to fly on the Excel option (he said "sheets").. so i'll go for Excel..
if it is not doing good on Gdocs, DropBox and many other sharing websites, above all, our own TDF, further we all will have it downloaded to our systems..

yup.. screenshots remain cancelled as of now.. it'll be a lot tedious too..

about the fourth point, i think it might be better if i upload it on Dropbox, its efficient, and almost no problem occurred to me while using it..
and once the Excel File is updated, the same will be uploaded again on to the servers..
so i'm starting doing it..

@Topgear : sorry, ekdum mind se nikal gaya.. (edited now.. :p)

and the thing about more than one sheet..
i think, we make one big excel sheet, then we put the genre's and we can always sort them, so after sorting, the'll be categorized to different Sheets as well.

what Office 2013 and excel .. gee ! it's a freeware thread for heaven's sake so you guys better use some free equivalent of MS office . there's plenty :

1. For starter try Apache Open Office / LibreOffice and for spreadsheet use Gnumeric.

Now taling about the list so you are saying first we create a dump spreadsheet files for all of the freeware file and then create different spreadheet files according to the genre/category to make some fine lists .. well, the idea is very good but may take a little more longer but go ahead make a big file first as it will be easier to sort things later and the file you sent over PM looks good for making a rough spreadsheet file for this purpose.

One more thing is if possible do avoid cnet's download .com as for some files it uses it's own downloader app .. it better to use the link of the original dev unless the dev is providing a cnet download link but there's always alternative download sites which offer to download the app without anykind of special installer.

BTW, if you make a rough spreadsheet file on g-docs it would be much better for volunteers to edit .. you can either mention the link of the dev now or later while making the genre wise different spreadsheets.

Vignesh B

Youngling
One more thing is if possible do avoid cnet's download .com as for some files it uses it's own downloader app .. it better to use the link of the original dev unless the dev is providing a cnet download link but there's always alternative download sites which offer to download the app without anykind of special installer.
Sorry for poking my nose, but cnet also provides direct link to all the files which has the Cnet installer enabled. Just below the download now button you can find it.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Though not the perfect app, but Free PDF to Word Converter does the job.
Personally, I prefer it over the online converters.

Thanks. Yeah, it's not perfect but works. Online converters are mostly crap.

If you have Office 2013, you can use MS Word as it can open PDFs itself.

Does it allows editing?

@dashing.sujoy : are you asking for OCR capabilities ???
if not then anybody known to any pdf to doc converter with good OCR capabilities ??

Nope.

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
Sorry for poking my nose, but cnet also provides direct link to all the files which has the Cnet installer enabled. Just below the download now button you can find it.

not for all ones..
and nose poking is not prohibited :wink:

what Office 2013 and excel .. gee ! it's a freeware thread for heaven's sake so you guys better use some free equivalent of MS office . there's plenty :

1. For starter try Apache Open Office / LibreOffice and for spreadsheet use Gnumeric.

Now taling about the list so you are saying first we create a dump spreadsheet files for all of the freeware file and then create different spreadheet files according to the genre/category to make some fine lists .. well, the idea is very good but may take a little more longer but go ahead make a big file first as it will be easier to sort things later and the file you sent over PM looks good for making a rough spreadsheet file for this purpose.

BTW, if you make a rough spreadsheet file on g-docs it would be much better for volunteers to edit .. you can either mention the link of the dev now or later while making the genre wise different spreadsheets.

bro, i have excel.
and whjat if i do it in Excel and then transfer it to things like apache open office.
it'd be a lot easier in Excel :p

and changed the Cnet links.
and will add Devc links from now on..
will add Cnet /softonic only when no other link is possible..

offtopic : that wink smiley looks more like a guy with attitude making a face after saying something Rocketty.. . :D

Does it allows editing?

yup.. it does..
but dont buy it just for the sake of it... there are many freewares for OCR(already mentioned) and many Freeware Pdf editors too ( *pdfedit.cz/en/download.html )

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ you can do it on excel only said about Oo so that more people can get accustomed with it and be aware of that there's more alternatives available rather than using MS office

it's fine by me ;-) and pardon my ignorance about cnet .. nowadays some other sites have started using such crap downloaders which is very irritating to me.

Top Bottom