URGENT : plz help me buy a power supply and a cabinet

guru280789

Broken In
since my power supply burned out the day i upgraded my pc ... i m planning to buy a new one ... plz suggest good a psu and a good pc case under 6k ... my pc config is:
amd phenomIIX4 925
asus m2n68
1.160TB hdd
19" lcd
3gb ram
ATI sapphire hd 4850 512mb
i dnt over clock so plz dnt suggest very expensive power supplies..
guys plz donot exceed the total budget of rs 6000

Last edited:

pulsar_swift

Youngling
CM ELite 310 - Rs 1700
CORSAIR VX 450 - 3800

Total comes to Rs 5500

If you want spend exact Rs6K, then upgrade the cabinet to NZXT Gamma @ 2.1K - Total comes to Rs 5900

OP
G

guru280789

Broken In
but will a 450w psu support my system cause i was using a cheap 550w psu nd i burnt it twice in the past 4 days ... rite now i m using the same but widout my gpu

pulsar_swift

Youngling
CORSAIR VX 450 can support HD5770. HD4850 power consumption > HD 5770 ? I think VX 450 would support HD4850.

Else go for CORSAIR VX 550 @ 4.5 -4.8 K

Could you disclose which PSU you were using which burnt out ?

Last edited:
OP
G

guru280789

Broken In
some cheap comapany called fuel ... i was all out of cash and i didnt really know the importance of a gud psu wen i bought it

the cheap 550w psu - means non pfc with about 300-350w ouput, so gone kaput,

go for vx 550w, even if you think you would lose 10-20% efficiency it would work for 3-5 yrs easily.

OP
G

guru280789

Broken In
how are the psu's 4m cooler master ?? i asked a shopkeeper 4 da prices nd he told me dat he has a coolermaster combo for rs 5750 dnt really now wat cabinet nd psu he is giving me

pulsar_swift

Youngling
if he is giving it as a combo then it has to CM Extreme Power series. Members on digit suggest to stay away from Extreme Power Series. Check if he is offering Real Power or GX series as part of that combo.

^ forget about it, it would definitely CM Extreme ones...........
better get nzxt gamma cabby for 2-2.2k and Corsair vx 450w, if you could increase the budget get vx550w for 4.8-5k, or CM GX 550w for 4.5K.

pulsar_swift

Youngling
buddy, the op's question was VX 450 can it run HD4850 ?

CM Gx550W or CoRSAIR VX 550W which one is better ?

Last edited:
buddy, the op's question was VX 450 can it run HD4850 ?

CM Gx550W or CoRSAIR VX 550W which one is better ?

both are good, however vx 550w is time tested and gx 550w is new in the market and 1/2k less than the former and I was saying of 550w keeping in mind of any future upgrades and efficiency loss in time........

pulsar_swift

Youngling
Efficieny loss ? It doesnt impact the output right ? It only impacts the amount of power it takes from the plug/terminals to produce the rated output

DigitalDude

PhotonAttack
get the corsair vx550 it has one 6 pin and one 6+2 pin pci-e connector whereas the vx450 has only one 6 pin connector. so you would be better with the vx550 for future graphic cards ;)

though you can convert a molex connector to another pci-e connector that's not a perfect solution :)

anyway a vx450 will handle the hd4850 fine. get it if you are totally limited by the budget of 6k.

_

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^
Efficiency is the ratio of output : input. As the PSU gets hotter the efficiency ratio can come down. One may argue that the PSU will continue to punch out the required output. That is not always the case. If not good quality over prolonged period errors start to crop up, in the form of ripples, and inefficient power throughput.

^ so in simple words it would not output the required wattage............

---------- Post added at 10:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:52 PM ----------

*www.corsair.com/appnotes/default.aspx

more articles-------read this..
AN805: Why a High Quality PSU is an Essential Purchase

pulsar_swift

Youngling
^ so in simple words it would not output the required wattage............

---------- Post added at 10:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:52 PM ----------

*www.corsair.com/appnotes/default.aspx

more articles-------read this..
AN805: Why a High Quality PSU is an Essential Purchase

Thanks mate. very informative

So guru, you have your answer VX 450W will handle HD4850. If have the money then VX550W would add more headroom for future upgrades

Top Bottom