Updated Ubuntu Image

Status
Not open for further replies.

cool_techie_tvm

Ambassador of Buzz
Ok here is the situation. I have a Ubuntu 7.10 cd from shipit some months back. I find that after i install ubuntu on a pc, i have to go online and download the updates which has been released until this day. Is there any means by which i can find an updated iso of Ubuntu. By updated iso i mean an iso with all the updates released. Is the official iso which is available on the sever, an updated image or is it the same cd that i got from shipit.

Replies appreciated brethren...

ray|raven

Think Zen.
They only release the iso's for each version once.
The LTS releases however get updated iso's every year AFAIK.
And there's really not much of a problem if you dont update, if you cant.

Regards,
ray

ray|raven

Think Zen.
Updates for linux dont just mean security patches,
they also mean updated applications.
If you install an application from the repos that isnt in the iso,
and an update is available, you will be notified of it.
But there's no guarantee that everyone using ubuntu will be using it.
Also nobody knows when the new version of an app is gonna be released.
Therefore its not technically feasible to keep updating the iso.

Regards,
ray

mediator

Technomancer
Ok here is the situation. I have a Ubuntu 7.10 cd from shipit some months back. I find that after i install ubuntu on a pc, i have to go online and download the updates which has been released until this day. Is there any means by which i can find an updated iso of Ubuntu. By updated iso i mean an iso with all the updates released. Is the official iso which is available on the sever, an updated image or is it the same cd that i got from shipit.

Replies appreciated brethren...
If ur system works phine n if u r paranoid about security, then just enable the security related updates. U may disable the rest.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Get the updated packages via Apt-On CD or simply copy them from someone who's deownloaded and put them in /var/cache/apt/archives. The updater will detect it and do all updates :)

ITTechPerson

Search for Adventure
Hi Ubuntu users - pls update me about the root password of ubuntu 7.10.
While installing it is asking for a user name but not a root password. I am unable to put "root" as a user name, so if the root is reserved as default then what could be the password for root ???
Is there any SU for ubuntu??

with Regards, pls help I am very new with linux.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Just giving sudo passwd will allow you to set a new password for root account. After setting a new password you can just su and become root.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom