unity vs GNOME3 whats ur pick?

• GNOME 3

Votes: 30 78.9%
  • Unity

Votes: 8 21.1%

• Total voters

Anish

Spectre
I like the previous gnome in my ubuntu 10... after updating to ubuntu 11/04, i dont like that gui.. can any one tell how to reinstall gnome?

Rahim

Married!
Honestly GNOME 3 looks more complete DE than Unity. I used GNOME 3 live cd bundled with LFY for it.

OFF-Topic: Some of the live distros does not seem to recognize Left Mouse click single/double tap, i have to use buttons on the touchpad for that :(

Anish

Spectre
during login select Classic Ubuntu for gnome.

Yeah.. thanks buddy:smile:

OFF-Topic: Some of the live distros does not seem to recognize Left Mouse click single/double tap, i have to use buttons on the touchpad for that :(

Same problem here.

BTW, internet wont work on my ubuntu 11.04 (with unity) Its fine when its 10.04 with gnome and the wireless detection also worked fine.. but in unity, even the wired connection doesnt work...any solutions??

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
nouveau for nVidia is junk compared to AMD Open Source drivers.

:rolleyes:
You should consider how much NVIDIA is supporting nouveau (which would be more like hindering it), and how much ATI is supporting the xf86-video-ati, for which it has employed engineers before bashing the nouveau project.

skeletor

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm bashing nVidia not nouveau. ;)

just read this part:

"nVidia is junk compared to AMD" (open source support)

OP
nims11

nims11

BIOS Terminator
using KDE with ARCH!!
its integration is better than KDE in ubuntu. also i wasnt able to have smooth desktop effects in ubuntu(my PC lacks graphics card) and had to disable them to gain required performance. in ARCH, i faced no such problem and everthing is faster and more responsive even with eye candy enabled.

tuxybuzz

Ballack Junior
Same problem here.

That mouse clicking problem can easily be solved. In most distros in preferences you'll find 'Enable Tap to Click' or some other option like that.
If not you may need to edit synaptic_d.conf file (no details here as it may vary).
But its a fairly small fix. takes 5 mins at most. Google and you'll find the exact procedure.
P.s- I had this problem in Fedora 13 Lxde

rchi84

In the zone
I am yet to find a feature in Unity that could not have been done using Gnome. If the Macbuntu project is anything to go by, Gnome is plenty powerful enough to do whatever Canonical has done with Unity..

doomgiver

Warframe
unity should have been limited to netbook users, not forced on to us.
what the hell were they thinking, when they put unity as the default dm???

i dont want a freaking huge bar taking up 50% of my screen real estate.
sometimes, i just want to strangle ubuntu foundation

doomgiver

Warframe
that was a hyperbole
and yes, i have used unity. i didnt like hunting through menus to find root or a folder.

i dont like what they have done with unity. canonical should have stuck with gnome, or at least given a choice DURING INSTALLATION to choose between.

linux is all about choice. look what happened to vista.

skeletor

Super Moderator
Staff member
that was a hyperbole
and yes, i have used unity. i didnt like hunting through menus to find root or a folder.
This again tells me you haven't used Unity.

50% screen space comment is kneejerk. You maximize a window or move it over, the bar hides itself. In reality, saves much more space compared to GNOME classic mode.

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here
unity should have been limited to netbook users, not forced on to us.
what the hell were they thinking, when they put unity as the default dm???

i dont want a freaking huge bar taking up 50% of my screen real estate.
sometimes, i just want to strangle ubuntu foundation

what is your screen size?

skeletor

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am yet to find a feature in Unity that could not have been done using Gnome. If the Macbuntu project is anything to go by, Gnome is plenty powerful enough to do whatever Canonical has done with Unity..
yup, I don't see any reason why GNOME 3 wouldn't have been sufficient and better.

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here
yup, I don't see any reason why GNOME 3 wouldn't have been sufficient and better.

it's not just abt now, according to shuttleworth there was a difference in the future vsion for gnome 3.. so they made there own shell... now lets wait and see if his descision was good or bad....

OP
nims11

nims11

BIOS Terminator
i think it was right to include unity instead of GNOME3. GNOME3 is over simplistic and looks bare. It needs to mature just as KDE did from KDE4 onwards.
Btw canonical will include GNOME in future ubuntus.

doomgiver

Warframe
This again tells me you haven't used Unity.

50% screen space comment is kneejerk. You maximize a window or move it over, the bar hides itself. In reality, saves much more space compared to GNOME classic mode.

what is your screen size?

what are you talking about, it takes up at least 50-60 pixels (even more, im sure) on the left side (1280x800) and im sure it does not hide. i tried it with ubuntu 10.10. didnt use 11.4.

Top Bottom