• GNOME 3

Votes: 30 78.9%
  • Unity

Votes: 8 21.1%

• Total voters

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
what are you talking about, it takes up at least 50-60 pixels (even more, im sure) on the left side (1280x800) and im sure it does not hide. i tried it with ubuntu 10.10. didnt use 11.4.
You move a window over to the left. It dodges and hides. You maximize the Window, it hides again.

Refer to LFC_fan's post #7.

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here
what are you talking about, it takes up at least 50-60 pixels (even more, im sure) on the left side (1280x800) and im sure it does not hide. i tried it with ubuntu 10.10. didnt use 11.4.

i use it in 11.04 and it hides.. so the screen space grabbing is not an issue

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
doomgiver as I said judge Unity by 11.04 not 10.10. It's not perfect yet, rather not quite good enough yet but it's a work in progress and the basic ideas are good. The Unity in 10.10 on the other hand sucked.
And if you haven't used Unity in 11.04 then you aren't qualified to comment on Unity.

Tech&ME

Banned
Yup! Me on the Unity side.

It Auto hides itself and saves space, or rather let's put it this way, it gives more visibility to the open windows! right. :)

And I need Windows 7 Aero Cursors on Ubuntu 11.04, can anyone help me ? :(

tuxybuzz

Ballack Junior
Ok let me get a few things straight..
People want an option between Unity and Gnome at install time? Makes no sense to me. AFAIK Ubuntu lets you chose either the Classic/Unity interface after you have installed.
And from what I've gathered Unity is BUILT ON TOP of Gnome only utilising Compiz (starting 11.04).
I don't like Unity that much but I'am not bent on strangling canonical. They let me use the basic interface which works for me. I do believe Gnome 3 will work out really well but it needs time. Hence I see sense in their decision to not use it in this release and I guess they are shifting to Gnome 3 next release. So sticking with stability is the right thing imo.
Would all this ruckus still be raised if Ubuntu still came in the old Gnome? I don't think so. I think we need to view Unity as an added feature not forced option.

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
Hence I see sense in their decision to not use it in this release and I guess they are shifting to Gnome 3 next release.
No they are not. It will be Unity based on Gnome 3, rather than Gnome 2 as in 11.04. They are not going to use Gnome Shell.

tuxybuzz

Ballack Junior
^^ ok..but in that case i guess user will get the option to use GNOME 3 default as they get GNOME2 right now? I mean the non unity version.

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
^^ ok..but in that case i guess user will get the option to use GNOME 3 default as they get GNOME2 right now? I mean the non unity version.

You mean gnome-shell? The user can install it yes. The only default fallback option will be Unity-2D.

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here
i liked unity but it's buggy nature made me shift to gnome shell
the gnome shell on 11.04 was also not stable enough for me..(though it was not as bad as unity.. where i had random logouts and hangs)
so i finally installed 10.04 LTS today.... :|
seems much better

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
sometimes the unity bar does comes out when you move your mouse left. i need to click here & there only then it slides out. happens mostly while working with OO files.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
GNOME 3 is obvious choice for me. Updated my old fedora12 with genome 3 some time ago. It rocks!!

aravind

Broken In
I prefer whatever DE takes to my destination with the fewest clicks and looks neat and simple. I think the older GNOME scored much better than UNITY or GNOME 3 in that aspect. KDE, apparently, was too much for my PC.

Piyush

Lanaya
ok
running unity on 11.04

do I have to shift to gnome 3?
many of voted for the latter
though I have no problems with unity

PS:I haven't seen Gnome 3 in action

Piyush

Lanaya
today the search bar in unity was not working
it came back to life after I finished downloading some plugins for opera(though it doesn't make any sense)

anyone else had this experience?

Top Bottom