Understanding camera settings...

sujoyp

Grand Master
bro as long as i know aperture value is not dependent on any format..and light intake will be same on 4/3 or apsc or full frame 35mm

A lens with 1.8 aperture will have same 1.8 everywhere.....the difference is sensor size

a bigger sensor will take more light...the smaller sensors may be have smaller surface for the light (i am talking all unscientifically)

soo as the bigger sensor have more light on its surface it may be slightly better at same aperture value...more light = faster shutter at same aperture

bro as long as i know aperture value is not dependent on any format..and light intake will be same on 4/3 or apsc or full frame 35mm

A lens with 1.8 aperture will have same 1.8 everywhere.....the difference is sensor size

a bigger sensor will take more light...the smaller sensors may be have smaller surface for the light (i am talking all unscientifically)

soo as the bigger sensor have more light on its surface it may be slightly better at same aperture value...more light = faster shutter at same aperture

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
^ Okie... What's the conclusion?

Whether full frame camera shoot at faster shutter speed or the same shutter speed for both the formats?

About that crop factor/aperture thing...
I will understand that the said thing (from the websites I read about those crop factor/aperture) when I have equipments to test them or when you show the results with your gears ;)

Coz, they have said it so convincing which I can't take it as some wrong information.

sujoyp

Grand Master
conclusion - bigger sensor=more area=take more light=faster shutter speed at similar aperture=better low light :D

u can do it now itself :) take nikon
P100 with max aperture of 2.8 ....do you think it can be compared to a DSLR with lens of 2.8 ....no ...just coz the sensor is soo small ...it will not be able to utilise that much light
Also even if u put same lens on both ...the lens will cover a bigger area and will need a bigger sensor soo ultimately the sensor will only capture a small part of data and light given by lens

*cdn.cambridgeincolour.com/images/tutorials/digital_sensor-sizes.png

*www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/digital-camera-sensor-size.htm

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Thank you.

So it does shoots faster.

Now it's clear... So this is the reason why DSLR are more likely to burn its sensor than compact when shooting bright light.

A small point on that aperture thing.
Lets take your cam D3100 and a Full frame camera and a 24-85mm f/2.8 lens
Setting 50mm in the lens on D3100 gives focal length of 75mm (35mm equivalent)
Setting 75mm in the lens on Full frame gives focal length of 75mm (35mm equivalent)

We take camera's focal length, not the 35mm equivalent.

Now, what's that f/2.8 means?
It means that focal length/2.8 therefore,

D3100 opens 17.86mm wide aperture at f/2.8
Full frame camera opens 26.79mm wide aperture at f/2.8

Wider the aperture, narrower the DOF and smaller the aperture deeper the DOF. Thus this proves that crop factor thing.

So to achieve the same DOF by both the full frame and D3100, full frame has to use 1.5 times smaller aperture value of D3100 i.e., f/4.2 in full frame if D3100 uses f/2.8.

shashankm

I reign hell..
Sorry for butting in...:)
... So this is the reason why DSLR are more likely to burn its sensor than compact when shooting bright light...
Burn its sensor means? Sensors aren't that easily flammable, unless you plan to shoot the sun flares storm all day long. Same goes for compacts, there are different passages for light, it gets deflected many a times thus its intensity is reduced a lot before the sensor actually grasps it and creates the impression using the color channel.
Or may be I couldn't get what are you trying to say? Pls explain! :)

marvelousprashant

Cyborg Agent
Bigger Sensor = larger pixel size... Example a 16MP compact sensor has all 16 million pixels located in a tiny space while in a full frame DSLR that much area will have only say about 3million pixels. In both cameras same amount of light reaches per unit area but as lesser pixels use that amount of light in DSLRs, each pixel gets more light hence better low light performance.. However as per unit area of light and heat reaching the sensor is same... both compacts and DSLRs are equally prone to burns

sujoyp

Grand Master
@prashant u r absolutely correct...and more technically speaking :)

and nac the aperture remains 2.8 irrespective of camera...its a lens thing...light getting in also will be same through lens....

a 75mm will also be 75mm in both full frame and crop just that a crop can utilise only 1/1.5 *100= 66.6 % of the data provided by the lens...so it feels like its zoomed in.

and yes aperture value is the opening of the lens...and it really depends on the focal length...a lens like 300 f2.8 will have huge opening

see if i have answered all question of missed anything ;)

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Prashant,
Ok. But I have read, DSLRs are more prone to bust than compact.

Sujoy,
This nicely says that the theory is wrong. The guys who said (the theory) and you will have a nice debate in this topic if you guys meet in any forums ;)

sujoyp

Grand Master
DSLR r more prone to dust coz we have to open the lens to change it...no other reason..
Do not open lens in dusty places specially in beaches...u will regret it for long

this will clear ur crop factor concept
*www.luminous-landscape.com/images4/scaly4.jpg

Suppose ur lens see the full round image...the 35mm camera will capture the blue rectangle area.....and the cropped sensor camera will capture the red rectangle area
Soo actually we r loosing our lens data in cropped sensor cams...35mm is just a standard to understad....they could also have taken medium format camera with double the sensor size

Attachments

• scaly4.jpg
    scaly4.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 151
OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
^
Yeah, I know this (luckily, not a confusing thing).

But the theory was about DOF in relation to aperture using two different format cameras. The theory seems to be true, but I am not sure. But what you said is really a nice point. When using FX format lens in both the cameras (say DX and FX), aperture size is not gonna differ we use the same lens. But the theory may be correct if the the cameras use their native format lenses. I mean DX camera use DX format lens and FX uses FX format lens.

I will have an opportunity to use both DSLR and compact. I will this thing then.

sujoyp

Grand Master
I just read another interesting thumb rule about aperture to share
a lens diameter = focal length/max aperture = diameter
a 50mm 1.8 have 50/1.8 = 27mm
300 f4 diameter of 300/4 = 75mm
55-200 f4-5.6 = 35mm
300 2.8 = 107mm

but i read that even if diameter is large the light comming inside will be same

Thats 50mm 2.8 will have same light comming in 300 2.8 coz of increase in focal length

the main difference between dx and fx lens is ...fx lens can fit dx perfectly....but dx lenses creates distortion and softness on the edges of pic on fx...but its still usable at center part

Last edited:
OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Recently, I had the opportunity to try DSLR (D90). But unfortunately, I didn't have enough time and neither there was enough battery to check out something I wanted (aperture/DOF) :)

All these times, I was thinking that APS-C sensor will have a better/faster shutter speed than compact (1/2.3") camera at a given lighting. But it seems like both the camera's shutter speed was almost same. Since it was the very first time I used a DSLR, I didn't know what was the base ISO I used. It showed L.1 or something like that.

And I thought the coverage area will be much more than compact, but again it wasn't. Both covers almost the same amount of area...

May be I will clear these things when I get the next opportunity. I don't know when thats gonna happen.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
coverage area depends on lens. Real investment is lens. So when you are buying a lens, buy the one which will last you lifetime.

sujoyp

Grand Master
@nac both ur statement of shutter speed and angle of view is very subjective

A DSLR can go as fast as 1/8000s or mostly upto 1/4000s ....but u know that it have mechanical shutter which actually flips soo fast...in P&S there is no shutter...but everything digital...soo I think DSLR is more high tech :)

Also angle of view is totally lens dependent...u must have used a 18-105mm kit lens...but what if I get a 10mm lens ...p&S cant change lens:D

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
coverage area depends on lens.

But I thought different... May because of images like these...

*imageshack.us/a/img31/5312/cropcircled.jpg
*imageshack.us/a/img687/6360/35mmframecrops460px.jpg

Also angle of view is totally lens dependent...u must have used a 18-105mm kit lens...but what if I get a 10mm lens ...p&S cant change lens:D

No no... I am talking about at same focal length. I don't know why the coverage is same here, it's not at all logic. Much bigger sensor, bigger lens (circumference) shouldn't it cover more???

sujoyp

Grand Master
nac most p&S start with 4mm , a m4/3 start from 14mm a nikon 1 series start from 10mm and dslr kit lens start with 18mm a full frame start from 24mm

what I want to say is most of these lead to around 24-28mm coverage area as kit lens...thats almost same :)

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
^ Yeah, I understand the FOV will be same after trying my hands and what I thought was not correct.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Never thought of trying custom colour (image tone), but thinking of it. And finally tried, I am not that impressed with the tweaks... Any of you guys tried tweaking contrast, sharpness, saturation, skin tone, Red, blue, green... Any suggestion or the settings you used/using...

Top Bottom