Understanding camera settings...

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Actually, I thought if my cam has that option every camera (at least camera with manual exposure control) would have them...

Yes, this option is in my camera and hopefully in SX150/SX160 as well.

sujoyp

Grand Master
I have tried sharpness,saturation and over all color tone in DSLR ....

Sharpness a notch up increases noise but in day time pic looks much better...actually manual setting is there to play :) try it
Saturation has to be increased...default pic looks soo dull in my cam
color tone I set to vivid sometime and natural mostly ...normal is again very dull in my cam

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Yeah, I tried it and it's not as good as the presets. May be I don't know the secret recipe...

I almost always use vivid.

sujoyp

Grand Master
using vivid always is not a good idea,....u will loose details due to that...the vivid color is to be used in case of landscape and bird,macro...but normal pics r better in natural....just I noticed this

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
^Oh! I didn't know that... I keep that in mind. I will post some of the pictures with the different settings... You guys may help me figure out these settings...

sujoyp

Grand Master
just put ur cam on a place and take the same shot with different settings...that will help to decide

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
I came here to ask a doubt, but I see my previous post... :(

I did try with presets and posted (forgot that I said I will post here) in photography thread. The butterfly/bee shots are some of them....

Ok... Here is what I came to this thread today.

I received one the photos I took a week ago with D90. :wow: What a quality man... I was wondering why I am not getting sharp eye even when I tried to click eye alone (with my SX130). But with D90, I am seeing much cleaner, sharper eyes that too from a group photo.

Ok here is my doubt...
I checked the exif, I screwed up the metering settings. Spot metering for group photograph. First mistake...
I didn't get this... LIGHT SOURCE: SHUTTER PRIORITY; EXPOSURE PROGRAM: APERTURE PRIORITY.
I understand I was shooting in aperture priority but how the light source works here. Was there any setting I could have make it work with exposure program?

sujoyp

Grand Master
I actually didnt understand what u want to know but let me tell u a simple way

1. In shutter priority u set the shutter speed and through the meter of camera , camera decides what aperture to select...if the max aperture is reached then it will increase the ISO
2. In aperture priority u select the aperture and the camera meter decides how much shutter speed can be given ....but now the shutter speed can go down to such that u can not hand hold the shot

in dark places or indoors I usually use shutter priority and set it to 1/30-1/50 so that even if my ISO increases my shot do not get blurred.

now metering u know...spot,center and matrix

spot - it will check the light of a perticular spot only
center - it will check the lightning in the middle of the frame
matrix - it will take the whole frame into consideration and check the average light....this usually make the sky white

hope ur question is answered :)

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist

Actually NO ;)

Sorry for making you confused... :(

I better post the EXIF for better understanding my query..
*img35.imageshack.us/img35/3415/54625648.jpg

I don't understand the one marked in RED. How I can control it?

kool

Cyborg Agent
hey guys,.

I'm going GOA next week , want to know basic settings for best clicks for SX-150. Mainly i want to click : beach side pics, Portrait mode of my friend with focus on face only and blurred image of background.

Also tell me, how to take VIVID color of any pics? In my camera SUPER VIVID is only option. Is there any way to take VIVID only ?

kool

Cyborg Agent
some pics clicked by me :)

*sphotos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/150750_10152566107830181_2047888856_n.jpg

*sphotos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/559791_10152566103290181_898046643_n.jpg

sujoyp

Grand Master
kool u r taking ur own pic that too in mirror :D

Actually I dont have SX150 soo cant help u in profiles...like beach,portrait,vivid etc

I can tell u ...just use portrait mode and zoom fully then take the shots of ur friends...it will make the background quit blurry..

aadi007

Journeyman
can anyone tell me how to take HDR pics if the feature is not built in camera?
My Canon 600D does not have it.
But I find it essential when the background is very bright or backlit.

What I understand is I can use auto exposure bracketing to take the same shots in different exposures.
But, how do I combine those? Which software to use? Anything free available?

I actually didnt understand what u want to know but let me tell u a simple way

1. In shutter priority u set the shutter speed and through the meter of camera , camera decides what aperture to select...if the max aperture is reached then it will increase the ISO
2. In aperture priority u select the aperture and the camera meter decides how much shutter speed can be given ....but now the shutter speed can go down to such that u can not hand hold the shot

in dark places or indoors I usually use shutter priority and set it to 1/30-1/50 so that even if my ISO increases my shot do not get blurred.

now metering u know...spot,center and matrix

spot - it will check the light of a perticular spot only
center - it will check the lightning in the middle of the frame
matrix - it will take the whole frame into consideration and check the average light....this usually make the sky white

Sujoy, in Canon 600D there are 4 metering modes -
Evaluative - same as matrix.
Partial - Not sure about this.
Center -
Spot -

sujoyp

Grand Master
@aadi u can use photomatrix or photoshop cs5 for HDR ...auto exposure bracketing is provided in DSLR for HDRs and not the HDR mode ;)

and use the negative positive and none exposure as per need...dont always do -2,+2 and 0 :)

Partial metering...hmm what does it do??

raja manuel

In the zone
You can find basic info on the different metering modes for 600D here, with sample pics for evaluative vs. partial:

Choosing an Exposure Metering Mode on a Canon EOS Rebel T3 Series Camera - For Dummies

Basically, Partial metering measures 9% of viewfinder area while spot measures 4%

sujoyp

Grand Master
Thanks for the info @raja ... can we move the partial metering to different focus points or is it fixed on center 9% only....because already the center metering evaluate according to the center exposure

raja manuel

In the zone
It is fixed on the central 9%. Only Evaluative Metering gives weight to the chosen AF point. Centre Weighted Average only gives additional weight to the centre, unlike Partial which is purely the 9% formed between the central AF points. This link

Canon DLC: Article: Quick Tip: Photographing Snow

provides a veiwfinder simulation tool which explains how each metering mode works (click on 'here are some of the common ones' to make it active). As can be seen, there is a very big difference in the area considered for metering between Centre Weighted Average and Partial.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
When I was reading these topics (white balance and metering) I am little confused. I read the usage of grey/white card for manual white balance and exposure settings.

I understand that professionals use 18% grey card for exposure and there was no contrary in it when reading. But when I was reading about white balance, in one place the author said, using white card for custom white balance setting and in another they say, grey card for custom wb settings. I am confused here... For WB is it white or grey card??? If it's grey card, what's the percentage of the darkness of the grey card. In video, the said grey card and it isn't as dark as 18% grey card which they use for exposure. It almost looks like white (I would taken it as white, if they didn't say it grey)

As far as my camera is concern, user manual says point the camera to white and fill the frame to set custom WB.

Top Bottom