bugs - spot
sports - spot
moon - spot
portrait - spot or center
flower - spot or center

marvelousprashant

Cyborg Agent
One more question

Is it possible to do a bokeh with my camera - SX240HS ? By bokeh I mean the light circles in background. I tried some and could not get it properly. I was trying with the small Diwali lights.

The problem was ... light circles were very small
They were round not hexagonal
The edges were bleeding with light (not shart as if light was leaking) so I adjusted aperture/shutter and when edges got perfect, center was gone.

What are the best settings to do bokeh. What kinds of light give the best bokeh

sujoyp

Grand Master
If u want bokeh like this pic

[url=*www.flickr.com/photos/34748095@N07/6920706685/][img]*farm8.staticflickr.com/7064/6920706685_0bfa1537ba_z.jpg[/url] Cup of Love by sujoyp, on Flickr[/IMG]

u need to keep the subject close and light at least 4 meters away from it (behind) ....also keep the focus close as possible so that the lights becomes totally out of focus ....
better 1st make lights out of focus then keep the subject to closest focus...that will do it

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Compact may not get bokeh as good as DSLR but we can get a decent one from it...

In SX240
Priority mode: Av
Av: f/3.5
Subject distance: 5cms (closest); You can relax this if you can't frame the subject in this distance.
Lights: Well behind the subject (I tried only once. When I tried, I put the light about 16ft behind the subject).

sujoyp

Grand Master
nac 16 feet is subjective....basically set the light to a distance soo that the light becomes totally out of focus....then keep the subject according to that

marvelousprashant

Cyborg Agent
I can make the light out of focus but cannot get the bokeh circles big enough due to distance.

Sujoy I had seen your cup shot few days ago. I tried to do it but lights look too small. *farm6.staticflickr.com/5151/7415103466_04249a48f7_z.jpg

sujoyp

Grand Master
just try again...follow the steps

1. Put the lights at least 10 feet away
2. Put ur camera to closest focus and check those lights...move forward and backward and see if size of bokeh changes

3. when satisfied...put the subject in front on a small table just in front and move the table back and forth to set the focus on the subject

I took my pic this way...try it :)

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Seems you need to put the lights even farther...

Sujoy, That's an example. Since that was shot indoor, that's the farthest I could put the lights. )

theserpent

Firecracker to the moon
I can make the light out of focus but cannot get the bokeh circles big enough due to distance.

Sujoy I had seen your cup shot few days ago. I tried to do it but lights look too small. *farm6.staticflickr.com/5151/7415103466_04249a48f7_z.jpg

OMG! how did you do this?

sujoyp

Grand Master
@nac even I have shot mine in a 8X7 feet room...not big enough :D

what i told you is the exactly I did..

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
guys a quick question. there are quite a photos I see that light is just splitting through the clouds and we can see beatiful rays(not one or two but whole stream of)

so how do we take those :p ?

sujoyp

Grand Master
1st the scene should be there actually...mostly u will find it in early morning or before sunset in rainy season

keep evaluative metering and use f7 and if needed put negative exposure

marvelousprashant

Cyborg Agent
guys a quick question. there are quite a photos I see that light is just splitting through the clouds and we can see beatiful rays(not one or two but whole stream of)

Pretty easy. The effect is similar to seeing rays of light close to window in dimly lit room - known as tyndall effect. Use faster shutter and/or lower aperture and adjust it till you get the desired shot... If your camera does not have these settings use a lower exposure compensation

@serpent It is lights we use in diwali that are in background and blurred because i focused on cup

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin

Are you referring the pics taken by me in "Mobile photography thread"? :p
Well, I just happen to look at sky most of the time, and got quite lucky to find many scenery when there are clouds in the sky.

Monsoon is about to come. I guess you will have many opportunities to find such scenery. Just keep your eyes up! :D

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Nikon G lenses don't have aperture ring. It's not a good thing, I read. And all the DX format lenses are Gelded. Then how come you are controlling aperture?

Fine, you are using DSLR so you can change Av in your camera. DX lenses can be mounted on Full frame cameras, I read. Here how the film camera owners can set Av in their camera?

Canon lenses both EF and EF-S don't have aperture ring (correct me if I am wrong). EF-S is only for APS-C equipped Canon DSLR, fine. How the film camera owners can use (I mean set Av) EF lenses in their camera?

It seems like no Canon lenses have had aperture ring (correct me if I am wrong). How Canon film camera did control aperture?

sujoyp

Grand Master
ok nac some nice questions

1. yes nikon G lenses dont have an aperture ring...but we dont need aperture ring in zoom lenses including 11-16 to 200-400 .....aperture control is more often used in prime lenses like 50mm and 600mm so that we can use old teleconvertors or extension tubes with that.
also i dont see any use of aperture ring in day to day usage.
yes in film days the camera used to change aperture using an aperture liver and not electronically soo maybe they need it more.

its not just case of DX or FX lenses...I think a 50mm 1.8 G AFS is a full frame lens with G

2. u r right about canonn that most dont have aperture ring...but i think some EF lenses may have it in those times...also canon had a different mount in those film days called FD mount...which they totally scrapped when they came to digital world...it was a blunder by canon i would say :(

u can still use canon FD lenses using adapters if u want..

I hope most of ur queries r clear... :)

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Sujoy,
Thanks... Yeah as of Canon, my queries are almost clear.

But not all FX lenses are gelded. Roughly 1/3rd of the FX lenses are gelded.

Since film cameras can use DX lenses and FX lenses, how they control aperture setting when using G lenses?
I guess, either the camera should have some controls in the body to set aperture or they can't control aperture at all like they can't use Auto Focus feature even if the lens have focus motor.

Canon have listed 60+ lenses in their site. None of them having aperture ring.

But can started making EF lenses since late 80s. So they should have making lenses with aperture ring then.

Serpent,
No camera has auto zoom. I think you are talking about focus... Yes, SX150 have manual focus.

For you information, only two models have manual focus (MF) under 10k.

sujoyp

Grand Master
btw it just came to my mind that aperture is stillcontrolled by lever and not electronically ....every lens have a machanical lever....maybe thats the reason old camers can use aperture,,,,,they just have to pull the aperture lever using some mechanical jack

*www.phototestcenter.com/assets/images/autogen/a_Nikon_18-55_2_Web_Size.jpg

look there a aperture lever on left side

Top Bottom