Understanding camera settings...

sujoyp

Grand Master
@nac better keep it on shoot only IS to save battery...I think it will definitely eatup battery in continuous mode

Your cam is a simple one :) ...even continuous shoot with focus on DSLR is difficult...I think it can be done on a tripod using focus lock...dont know perfectly

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
So it does drains the battery if "Continuous IS" mode is ON. Thank you...

And did you mean "Continuous AF" would drain the battery faster?

1. Continuous AF - Here cameras keep on adjusting focus and exposure even when I am not shooting. Logically, it should eat up the battery.

2. Continuous - I don't know what's the difference between this and Continuous AF. I am guessing like this, it will shoot (and focus) continuously only when I press shutter button.

3. Standard Single Shot - I am not sure. Again I am guessing like this. Even If I keep the shutter button pressed, it won't shoot more than 1 snap.

I think I can use the 2nd option for regular use. If it is good to keep it in single shoot mode and turn to continuous/continuous AF when situation arises, I better set it in single shoot mode.

I am not getting a decent no. photos per recharge. So this clarification... :)

sujoyp

Grand Master
continuous AF means it will AF for everyshot u take in continuous mode
Continuous means it will focus once and take shot without autofocussing again
single means u will get only 1 shot per click even if u press the button longer

to save battery keep in single shot mode....and keep the IS in when shoot mode...it will work like any normal cam and u will get more battery life

skr

Broken In
Kindly advise....

Hi!

Good to see the extensive research you have done. I have also done a simillar research for the past one month and have zeroed in on canon sx130 IS. Just came across your post saying you have already bought the camera.

How is the camera sx130. Performance and ease of use especially the battery life which has got a lot of flak from users. For how much did you get it.
Also which battery, chargers are you using. (also cost of them)

Can you advise me on wether i can go ahead and buy the SX130?

Thanks in advance!!!

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
skr - I have replied in the other thread.

Sujoy - Okie, I'll turn off continuous (both IS and AF). I was thinking for asking this before, some how missed. Surprisingly I didn't get time to take photos. I was little busy watching movies today. I have watched two, THE BLIND SIDE and ALONG CAME POLLY. First one was very good...

Did you see "the stork photo"? 1st photo in this post
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/cameras-camcorders/118227-photography-thread-151.html#post1544127

Why grains? Any idea?

sujoyp

Grand Master
Enjoy watching movies :D no problem ;)

I saw the info in that stork pic...all look fine f5.6, 1/320s ISO 125.....did u cropped it too much?? did u applied sharpning??

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Yeah, I cropped. What I have posted is a cropped one from 4000x3000 to 640x480.

It's faster to upload a smaller one.

I just checked sample photos of cameralabs. Theirs too have grains but little not this much. And I checked some of mine too. Those moon photos don't have any grains at all. May be it was just black to fill... ;)

Is this because of photos were taken with handheld camera?

And NO I didn't apply sharpening.

sujoyp

Grand Master
Bro resizing and cropping is different :)

U cut a piece out of original pic means CROP
and u make 4000x3000 into 640x480 is resize

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Yeah, it's different. And I did crop the picture.

Is this the reason for the grainy photo?

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
I upload my photos in imageshack. Sometimes there will be trouble uploading, in such case I have to upload one by one. So I was thinking of uploading in flickr.

Again today there was login issue in imageshack. I googled flickr, clicked the link to camera finder (little curious about to see images taken in SX130 IS :D), selected Canon from the drop down box. Scrolled down to find SX130, I was stunned with the images taken from this camera.

IS THIS THE CAMERA I AM USING???

Wow!!! Pictures are awesome... Here are few links

*flic.kr/p/8XYbA5

*flic.kr/p/a4sGjB

*flic.kr/p/9XBSZA

*flic.kr/p/9SVoTE

*flic.kr/p/8Yu12p

*flic.kr/p/aSgVi6

When am I going to take like these??? :(

Last edited:

sujoyp

Grand Master
it will take lot of learning to get superb results like those...

Its all about the photographers technique and not the gears :)

BTW you saw lots of pic today...did u checked the exif details...what was the setting used :) if not then check again and try to use them on similar situation next time ;)

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
To get a sharper image in low light, I need tripod. Actually, I don't want to have one. But thinking of getting a stand like tripod. Like this one...

*www.ebay.in/itm/270869823789?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Is this of any good? And how about left/right and up/down movement?
-------------------------------------------------------------------

I noticed that I was taking images of sunset/deep DOF at largest aperture. I know I should use smaller/est Av but didn't strike when I was taking photos.

And I also noticed that, the macros I take are lacking sharp focus on key areas like "eyes". But in fact, I keep the focus frame (square box) on the subject. Since the subject's total body itself fits less than the frame, I couldn't guess where should be the key areas in the frame.

How to get it done? Little help/suggestions would really be appreciated.

sujoyp

Grand Master
ok 1st is that little camera stand really useful....how r u planning to use it...if u have to keep the stand on flat surface y not keep the cam directly there :)
I dont think it can be moved left right or updown
If u want something branded like this then u will like gorillapod *www.smartshoppers.in/product/gorillapod-gp-1-flexible-tripod/
*www.smartshoppers.in/published/publicdata/SSLIVESSLIVE/attachments/SC/products_pictures/Gorillapod-GP-1_M.jpg

yes for sunset u can easily use f7.1-f8

When taking macros...if there is something like digital zoom in the cam then use it....just zoom in and check the eye focus then zoom out again :)

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Re: The TDF bug reporting page

test post copied by ICO.

ICO,

Tried posting a new one, but it wasn't successful. So I am editing this post.

Edited one was successfully posted. But not the new one... I am again trying this new one to post

-----------
After successfully edited the test post, the last one was a new one and posted successfully. It got bumped with the edited one... Thank you ICO... :)

===========================================================

If it's not gonna tilt up and down or swing left and right, what's the use of this pocket tripod.

And the same model is priced much lower in ebay...

*www.ebay.in/itm/280796394872?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

And this one look like this can swing and tilt...

*www.ebay.in/itm/250964251316?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Closest possible focus in macro is 1cm. If I use the zoom from 1cm, I have to pull back the camera to get the right focus. Again the subject fits well inside the frame. It will be good if the camera has face detection here :rofl:

Is this possible to use digital zoom alone?

Last edited:

sujoyp

Grand Master
@nac what I suggested was a branded gorillapod and what u linked is a Chinese copy....not comparable

can u zoom in macro mode after getting soo close to insects??...I dont have that cam soo u have to find a way to that urself :)

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Oh!!! It's a duplicate... :shock: How in one of the largest online seller?

Yes, I can zoom in macro when I am so close. Okay... I figure out that.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
This one looks like it swings left and right and can be tilted down and to tilt up we have to adjust the legs, I guess.
Mini Tripod

sujoyp

Grand Master
lol thats good for cams having weight under 300gm....dont even think of superzooms on that :) SX130 IS is fine...

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
One of the user reviewed that it could withstand 1kg (Nikon D5100 + Tamron 18-250 mm)... :)

Top Bottom