Ubuntu to rename top level directories?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

anarchist

good move - for normal users. too many directories in root (with odd names) was confusing. i wish these changes come soon.

Rahim

Married!
To be honest a normal user like me wont care about the confusing names as you can do whatever in your home folder.
A geek is another matter altogether

vista__n00b

Broken In
I really don't understand why people are so against this new naming scheme. Its not like Ubuntu is reinventing the wheel or changing something so dramatic that everything will become chaos and fall apart.

People who are saying that "I was used to old ways so it should stay the way it is" are giving the exact same excuse that Windows users gave when they were shown a free operating system which could do most of their daily tasks. You people should be happy that a major distro is coming ahead and is trying to make this hideousness (naming scheme) into something right. In the end if you people don't like it then all you have to do is to make soft links to your original directories...is that too hard?

Its just a simple naming scheme guys...take a control of your emotions :p

hullap

Cyborg Agent
I really don't understand why people are so against this new naming scheme. Its not like Ubuntu is reinventing the wheel or changing something so dramatic that everything will become chaos and fall apart.

People who are saying that "I was used to old ways so it should stay the way it is" are giving the exact same excuse that Windows users gave when they were shown a free operating system which could do most of their daily tasks. You people should be happy that a major distro is coming ahead and is trying to make this hideousness (naming scheme) into something right. In the end if you people don't like it then all you have to do is to make soft links to your original directories...is that too hard?

Its just a simple naming scheme guys...take a control of your emotions :p
+1000000000000000000

BUT i also agree with Rahim,

Although the new structure is a little easier to read and understand without reading manuals, it can be confusing for long time users who are used to previous system, plus it could introduce compatibility problems with older apps. In my openion, the symlinks for new names idea would be great for now.

OP
praka123

praka123

left this forum longback
doesnot gonna affect me though ;)
I will be a Debian user for coming years too;may be add gentoo and archlinux too! :D

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Personally I don't mind as long as Ubuntu doesn't become a trendsetter for other distros :| . A company with a questionable QA practice becoming a trendsetter is like a disaster waiting to happen.

mediator

Technomancer
Nah, I don't think it will become a trendsetter. The default permission system in Ubuntu is pathetic. Its ok for noobies and emigrants from the windows world. It seems they r making it look more windowish like over the time. I guess the change wud be almost transparent for the noob users neways who r chained to the home directory. But I hope it is not aimed for servers. Hell, we'll have to operate on "/system/config/named.conf" for DNSs instead of simple "etc" ones?? That wud be quite tedious. :oops:

OP
praka123

praka123

left this forum longback
Ubuntu is trying to differentiate it from other distros.let it do that!

BTW,this aint gonna make other distros follow !:rolleyes:

Nimda

l33t n00b!
I hope other distros don't follow suit. I, personally, am quite a regular user of the CLI (even when I can do things in a "gooey" manner - yeah call me a crazy if u want to, but CLI is better).

Typing all those long pathnames will really be a turn off.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Use bash completion. Why was that created?
I always have a screen session running at home with irssi, elinks and mutt running within it. I ssh in from work or elsewhere attach the screen session and do my chatting, check mails, configure my systems. I find bash completion really helpful then. But, I still don't see why would new path names be a problem for ssh connections too, even with higher latencies.

DigitalDude

PhotonAttack
^^^^
I just use putty and do some small tasks occasionally on the server... for the major stuff there is lxadmin control panel :p dont want to install stuff that I'm not familiar with and screw it off :lol:

I feel the latency is annoying.. typing and seeing the text after sometime is in the SSH window is awkward for me :D

but the server hosted in singapore used to have less latency like around 50ms which is gr8... but suddenly 2 months ago I was getting more ping in sg servers than the ones in US... I did watever I can but helpless.. airtel ppl say its prob with DNS... the datacenter ppl say its problem with ISP routing.. I went mad and finally cancelled the sg server :( now all I have is US servers with 400ms+ latencies :mad:

_

mediator

Technomancer
Even so, but the bash completion doesn't work with shell scripts, crons, editing confs etc. U can use copy/paste though, but it certainly becomes tedious. May be thats why they have '/etc/named.conf' as a shortcut pointing towards the actual '/var/named/chroot/etc/named.conf' :D, I dunno. But I prefer the etc (former) one. Its the same situation, where we use 'ping SITE' instead of writing the complete path '/bin/ping SITE'. But neways thats their philosophy......Noob friendliness.

nach p

Journeyman
it looks more systamatic though it will take bit time 2 get accustomed.
but is it really required !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom