Ubuntu Linux Vs. Windows Vista: The Battle For Your Desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
@ amit thts wat evolution is based on ... unix.... linux and so on ... ape ... man so on ... so if its simple logic tht if u comparing vista and ubuntu its got to be current state or both have to compared from their first predecessor ... u cant say tht vista 1980 and ubutu 1996 .... talk sense dude ...

Windows is an inferior product because its used by 70%+ people around the world ... and thts the reality which u need to wake up to ....

@freebird with respect to ur signature most of windows users dont work for the kgb, cia, raw, al-queda tht we need security the amount of security tht windows provides coupled with some common sense which i guess lacks in OSC and hence they say tht ubuntu came today and vista came in 1990

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
mAV3 said:
most of windows users dont work for the kgb, cia, raw, al-queda tht we need security the amount of security tht windows provides coupled with some common sense

very true. even i've never had security problems. heck, i'm not a nuclear scientist neither do i haf defence decrets in my comp!!! people are too paranoid abt security as if india's safety lies in their hands!!!

plus, count me in.. i've had no bsods so far!!!! win95 used to greet me like that.. but rarely in win98 and never in win xp!!

yes, linux has not been developed to counter windows. as i said it caters to a different breed of people. its CLI is prolly the most powerful (also all *nix). i recently read abt linux mint. well to appeal to first time users they shud be advertised in large scale. everywhere ppl see abt ubuntu,fedora etc. and first timers try it and go back to windows due to lack of knowledge. linux mint, sabayon,dreamlinux, freespire are the distros that need to be tried by first time users. it does simplify a lot of tasks. but one thing is that the whole of the OS can't be changed to mimic windows jus for the heck of first time users. if users to try out something, they shud be ready to venture out!

praka123

left this forum longback
But LINUX is NOT windows is what first time windows to linux movers needs to understand.
*linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm

Also by carrying all these multimedia and other proprietory plugins and apps in GNU/Linux,it ends up in patent/something infringement ends up in sueing users.infact the right soltn may be to offer a paid Linux carrying prop formats support and more.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
well i dun understand why every linux distro shud be distributed under the gpl.... why can't there be like closed source but free apps also bundled? it'll be a big boost to linux. more ppl will adopt linux as it is free. let the oss version also continue. there are thousands of developers there.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
OSC needs to understand tht as long as ease of use is not given more attention linux will not be used by every1 ... hell i had a torid time trying to install nvidia drivers not to forget the no. of codes and lnes 1 has to type .... as long as tht a user needs to type dos like commands for simple thngs like installing drivers or using other normal stuff linux will remain an OS used by some geeks ...

mediator

Technomancer
writing stories cant solve the issues.. just configure everything properly..
Thats the pity that a few windows fanboys want everything to be configured on linux, all codecs to be preinstalled properly, every piece of software to be preinstalled and then put their "common sense" behind when using Linux. But then everything is alright for them if they have to configure windows, install codecs and 3rd party softwares on it, and then say to use "common sense" when using windows. How ironic!
But neways they have distros like Linux mint,proprietary SUSE etc for that.

well i ask .. dont you guys have to configure ubuntu or any distro before usage , well i did , for many a things i had to configure fedora or ubuntu or rhel . they were not ready in every sense..
:rolleyes:

@ TILL DATE NO BSODS IN XP OR VISTA.. :
I hoped it was R(red)SOD for Vista,but no suprises!!!
I also thought it was RSOD! :confused:

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
i never said tht i want everything pre-configured it was by 1 of ur own OSS user

what i have said and if u can read and understand simple english ... ease of use .... not everything pre-configured but simple for a user to configure ... theres a difference between them ...

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
mAV3 said:
OSC needs to understand tht as long as ease of use is not given more attention linux will not be used by every1 ... hell i had a torid time trying to install nvidia drivers not to forget the no. of codes and lnes 1 has to type .... as long as tht a user needs to type dos like commands for simple thngs like installing drivers or using other normal stuff linux will remain an OS used by some geeks ...
How about just 3 clicks to install ALL drivers on your system?
*www.michaellarabel.com/index.php?k=blog&i=114

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
thts good and thts wht they got to work on ease of use rather than bad mouthing MS ... bad mouthing MS will take them no wher ... but trying to make an OS more easy to use will help ;)

@ kalpik btw it does not work for slax

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
Yes, its currently only for Ubuntu Feisty.. But it just shows how easy things are! You just need to pick the right distro! I mean, no one can complain about linux being difficult if they pick up gentoo for "testing" or "evaluating" linux! Pick up sabayon, ubuntu feisty etc if you wanna "evaluate".

freebird

Debian Rocks!
.......also dont expect windowsmediaplayer and company in Linux.Linux is not just another windows.and .exe files u download for windows cannot be installed in Linux or for that matter any UNIX like OS's.ofcourse,emulation exists.CEDEGA can play win games in Linux.crossover office for a majority of win apps and WINE too.

^^ yes most people dont like thinking business,

now I see lots of hot talks passed between great gentlemen of our forum,people talked linux this n that , windows this n that, what to say of solaris:shock: :D

mediator

Technomancer
i never said tht i want everything pre-configured it was by 1 of ur own OSS user

what i have said and if u can read and understand simple english ... ease of use .... not everything pre-configured but simple for a user to configure ... theres a difference between them ...
N i never pointed towards u "if u can read and understand simple english". Its for people who talk about preinstalled stuff,preinstalled codecs, have some kind of disability that they can't google and then say linux hasn't got this and that software. Its for people who think they can compare OS1 with OS2 where they have 10 yrs of experience with OS1 and almost null with OS2 and then keep on talking about "common sense" a lot while using windows whereas they act and behave like lamers when using Linux! Its "nonsense" to hiberbnate ur "common sense" while using Linux u know!

saurabh.sauron

Ambassador of Buzz
Ubuntu is the clear winner. i tried vista and it is crap. no antivirus support, a big resource hog, no real improvements over XP and horrendous software compatibility are major irritants.

ubuntu is one of the most addictive OS's i have ever used. i can easily say ...no windows for me...

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
shantanu_webmaster said:
i am on the right side.

another great lie.. buddy if you dont know about windows then why you post it.. dont you know that automatic restart can be disabled.. and well BSODS onyl some to some people who dont know computing in right sense.. i didnt had any BSOD. i think once kiran said he also didnt had.. S18000 and many examples are there.. use genuine buddy and then see.. if you use pirated studd then you cant blame M$.. they say it

counterfeit softwares may put you at risk
honestly saying i am using original windows xp pro sp2 with all latest drivers & updates but still i have lost count of BSOD.

but on ubuntu there are no bsod

To develop Vista microsoft hired move Graphic artists than programers

nepcker

Proud Mac Pro Owner
there no need to say that nepcker will only use ubuntu coz you are a M$ hater..
I'm not saying Ubuntu's better because I'm a MS hater. I like MS Office (though don't really like the ribbon). NeoOffice (or rather Open Office) is good too, but it simply can't match the power of M$ office.

well for your great knowledge .. Vista's UI is not from OSX.. file a case for it if you can ...
I'm not the lawyer/whatever for Apple to file cases against MS.

What are the major additions to Vista's UI? I'll tell you: Aero, Flip3D, Gadgets, and Integrated Search. These are the rip-offs of Aqua, Expose, Widgets, and Spotlight respectively.

you are the first guy saying VISTA UI to be confusing.. man do you have some common sense.. or you use your comp. with closed eyes.. there is nothing is windows UI (VISTA) thats confusing.. yeah it can be in a MAC or LINUX.. mac is a bit confusing though.. but WINDOWS NO WAY.. ask a kid about VISTA UI.. or say a kid to navigate in windows ...
Mac's UI is confusing. Yeah, right. The mac has always been praised for having a better UI. Yes, some flaws exists but you can't have everything your way.

As an example of where I got confused in Vista, is to figure out my complete system config. And I mean the detailed config, not just RAM and the processor I have -- in one place, without a third-party software. On a mac, I just click on the apple menu and then to "About this mac" and it's all revealed. How do you do that on Vista?

another great lie.. buddy if you dont know about windows then why you post it.. dont you know that automatic restart can be disabled.. and well BSODS onyl some to some people who dont know computing in right sense..
Well, how do you disable it? I would really like to do it. (Make sure it doesn't involve complex process.)

And yes, people who buy hardware that don't yet have drivers for Vista all don't know "computing in right sense".

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
What are the major additions to Vista's UI? I'll tell you: Aero, Flip3D, Gadgets, and Integrated Search. These are the rip-offs of Aqua, Expose, Widgets, and Spotlight respectively.
Ya right.

Aqua was not GPU accelerated since MacOS X 10.2 Jaguar, that too to some extent only. Aqua still isn't completely GPU accelerated. They still haven't implemented QuartzGL which they said they will in Panther. The Windows in MacOS X which are drawn parallel to Monitor screen were supposed to be treated & rendered as Textures but still they are CPU based rectangles & squares

Vista had full GPU accelerated Window manager since; umm....longhorn 3xxx builds in 2003. The ones with plex Window manager theme.

Widgets of MacOS X are another rip from Konfabulatar

Flip3D is not expose. Expose makes small thumbnails preview of open windows on desktop while Flip3D presents then diagonally.

Spotlight...ummmm who came with Instant search in longhorn builds in 2003? Microsoft I guess.

Nepcker, it is the other way around. Cupertino started there photocopiers in 2003 itself.

As an example of where I got confused in Vista, is to figure out my complete system config. And I mean the detailed config, not just RAM and the processor I have -- in one place, without third-party software. On a mac, I just click on the apple menu and then to "About this mac" and it's all revealed. How do you do that on Vista?
Right click on your "Computer" Link in start menu & select properties. Done...is it that hard to figure out? You are trying to find out your computer properties right.

2nd, type in start menu "System"

Well, how do you disable it? I would really like to do it. (Make sure it doesn't involve complex process.)
System properties using the above mentioned method or Winkey+Pause\break -> Advanced system settings-> Startup & recovery section -> uncheck the button. That’s it. You can't have it the Mac way on Windows.

And yes, people who buy hardware that don't yet have drivers for Vista all don't know "computing in right sense".
Umm...what kind of English is that?

Did MacOS X had drivers for hardware from 3rd party the day it was released? Did Tiger had new compatible 3rd party drivers available from day 1? I guess it didn't even supported backward compatible drivers due to which Panther drivers install on Tiger.

Last edited:

shantanu

Technomancer
mediator said:
N i never pointed towards u "if u can read and understand simple english". Its for people who talk about preinstalled stuff,preinstalled codecs, have some kind of disability that they can't google and then say linux hasn't got this and that software. Its for people who think they can compare OS1 with OS2 where they have 10 yrs of experience with OS1 and almost null with OS2 and then keep on talking about "common sense" a lot while using windows whereas they act and behave like lamers when using Linux! Its "nonsense" to hiberbnate ur "common sense" while using Linux u know!

even i didnt say anything about codecs , just said that running internet or any thing in linux had to be configured before usage.. if you say no then god knows your chemistry...
honestly saying i am using original windows xp pro sp2 with all latest drivers & updates but still i have lost count of BSOD.

but on ubuntu there are no bsod

did you try finding out the cause.. it can be coz of any wrong ( corrupt) application..

@nepcker.. in what way is VISTA's UI confusing..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom